Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
glad you are all ok! How scary. Hope your power comes back soon, but you should totally go for your new culinary adventure either way! DH and I were just saying we need to start doing that more. He used to make an amazing stew over the fire... Mmm he needs to do that again!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made a tofu and cauliflower rice with peanut sauce. My teenage son told me "I thought you said this didn't have meat in it. What kind of rice is this, it tastes different?" Then he proceeded to eat every bite!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
True that!

Cooking over a fire is fun. We used to traditionally in S.A. "Potjiekos" we call it, translates to "small pot food".. Doesn't have quite such a nice ring to it in English LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I drove to the garden, picked up the sheets and blankets. All the plants look fine! Got a "cardio workout" in at the same time! Woohoo! Back to bed, I'm wiped out. Hopefully my kids continue behaving themselves, and maybe DS2 will take a nap?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Not much to report. 48 degrees and raining steady all day. Brrr! DH cleaned the barn, unplugged the utility sink, and we cleaned in the basement together.

I ordered 10 standard greenhouse flats and 6 more types of perennial seeds. :thumbsup The hollyhock seeds I planted outdoors didn't (haven't?) germinated, but my indoor seeds are sprouting. :thumbsup I'm hoping for green thumb with my attempted flower garden this year. My pride would be injured otherwise. :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy cow - 48 degrees? It was hotter than...hotter than 48 here today! A clean barn? What is this thing of which you speak?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Less dirty? :lol: We have a barn cleaner gutter system, but it breaks down every time we run it. It's a bit of a production to get it done. I'm just thankful it mostly works because sheep bedding would be a lot of heavy wheelbarrow loads! Yuck!

Grandparents are coming to visit tomorrow. MIL usually brings a deli meal which is :sick to me, mostly because she brought it several times when I had nausea and the association stuck. I'm planning to cook a "fancy" meal: homegrown, home-processed mutton steaks with carrots, onions, and some kind of glaze. Mushroom-cream reduction sauce. Crustless bacon-veggie quiche. Dinner rolls. Has to be low or no sugar, gluten free, and some low fermentation index meal to meet everyone's dietary needs.:confused:

Normally, I plan out something nice for a birthday or family gathering. The prep the day before uses up my energy reserves and I crash the day off... something nice doesn't happen or DH has to make it happen. (Let me tell you how much he enjoys that.....)

I'm laying low this time. DS10 is prepping veggies and I'll assemble a crockpot quiche tonight. I plan to make a glaze for lamb "steaks" and maybe marinade them overnight. I want to have soft dinner rolls, but the bread machine can make the dough for me. I'll run the rice cooker for backup if the quiche or rolls don't turn out well.

I set alarms for when to start various things cooking. Hopefully I don't screw anything up. :p