Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awesomely you're finding tricks to make yourself feel better! And awesome on getting a deer.

Hope the school gets moving before it's too late in the year. Is your son bored in the meantime?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader , he's loving it. He's a hot shot in 5th grade. He has a lot of friends and has a crush - a mutual crush. It's like going to summer camp every day. :rolleyes:

Deer is processed. 2 more roosters processed. DH is home from work today to cut the sheep. I'm cooking broth and will can vension, chicken, and broth today.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol awesome... For him anyway! Maybe not for you!

Lots of meat processing... That time of year!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The saga continues.... :hu GI doc wants me to try low-FODMAP diet and ran screening test for autoimmune diseases including Celiac, and Lyme. So far, my initial Lyme test is not negative, so they're running the second test. I wasn't expecting that, but I'm not surprised either. I've lived in a Lyme-endemic area my whole life and have had more ticks on me than I could count.

So far, I've eliminated fructans (a carbohydrate in onions, garlic, wheat, my fiber supplements, and whole bunch of foods I don't eat anyway.) I'm on day 3 and feel much better already. :eek: I have another week or so to go before I have to test out which of the foods is/are the culprit making me sick. Awesome. o_O

DS2 has croup. It came on suddenly and I took him to urgent care where we got a nebulizer. He is comfortable during the day, but nighttime is rough. DH and I haven't been getting much sleep! I have a sore throat today - not bad (yet?). I'm resting, drinking orange juice. I'd drink cola if I had any. My theory is the acid kills off the microorganisms in the back of my throat. :gig

My house is pretty much a disaster since being gone for doctor stuff. I'm catching up slowly today. DS10 washed dishes yesterday. DH brought home take-and-bake pizza for lunch. Gesture appreciated, but I can't eat it due to new diet restrictions. :barnie

We are done with meat processing for now until DH shoots another deer (and then we'll process a lamb too) or we catch more chickens in the barn. We are not raising meat birds loose again! It's awful! Our neighbor found the deer DH lost the track of. She was about 80 yards from the end of the blood trail in heavily wooded area. DH is upset; coyotes are happy.

Not much else news around here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow! A whole new diet - and restrictive...? Ick!

I'd drink cola if I had any. My theory is the acid kills off the microorganisms in the back of my throat. :gig
I like the way you think, lol!

Lyme disease? That's scary! Hope the test is negative - but wouldn't that be a good explanation?

Poor DS2...croup is NO fun. Hope he gets better quickly.

Shame about the deer.. but stuff happens. :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bummer on the new restrictions! Lyme sucks, I hope it's not that. We have major Lyme issues here too, and I'm used to picking ticks off myself, the dogs, etc. Always a worry.

Hope DS2 feels better soon, and you get some rest!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope DS gets better soon :hugs Glad you are feeling better, but these diet restrictions suck!

:fl for a positive negative on the lyme disease tests

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Not much going on here. I signed up for a holiday weight maintenance challenge. Started that off today by eating junk food. :hide

I have been reading about skin microbiome and attempting to grow some non-stinky micro organisms and use less soap. I lasted 4 days the first attempt before I lathered up. I'm on day 4 now and not stinky. Progress? Maybe my nose stopped working. :gig

I have been reading about (obsessing about) houseplants. I have holiday cactus, aloe Vera, and peace lily. I got interested in houseplants just in time - they were drowning and root rot. whoops. I went from one extreme to the other. I learned about potting soil mixes for succulents, bought supplies, mixed up new soil concoctions and repotted everyone today. I'm hoping they'll grow faster. I am daydreaming about a purple ribbon at the county fair with my holiday cactus. Maybe in 5 years.

I went shopping today to find clothes for his baby doll (with zippers, snaps, buttons), but after 3 stores and returning stuff, I figured out it was cheaper to buy a new doll that was newborn size and pull out his newborn clothes for it. Unfortunately, as soon as he saw it, he started saying "thank you momma! Thank you!" So it's not really a christmas present now, is it? Maybe I'll sneak it away from him yet?

DS10 baked a pumpkin pie by himself! I baked the pumpkin the night before. He put it through the food mill, even made the pie crust! (albeit poorly). Not bad for a first try! :love

DH hunted over the weekend, no luck yet.

My house is a disaster. When did it get so messy?!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You would be very sad to see the state of my 40+ year old ivy. It desperately needs someone to pay attention to it, and seriously needs repotting!

So how was the pie?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holiday weight maintenance? That's nothing but self-torture! Ask NHH! I have a really old ivy in my living room...it's at least 10 years old. Just a baby compared to NHH's! I'm more into outside plants...like broccoli, cabbage...stuff you can eat. See there ... we were talking about diets and I turned the conversation to food...I'm hopeless...:drool