Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agreed. It's torture! Although I ate stuff I shouldn't have last night and felt awful with high blood sugar, and woke up feeling cruddy with low blood sugar so I suppose it's worthwhile, lol.

My ivy was a wedding present to my now divorced MIL and FIL. The plant far outlasted their marriage! Haha

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I kinda crashed there for a while. My fault - forgetting medication and not getting enough sleep. Well, I haven't gotten enough sleep since mid-October, but it work me until now to figure it out. (I'm a real bright one. :rolleyes:) I took my med two days in a row and took a good long nap today. Much better now.

Our chickens have had me overrun with eggs! DH gave a couple hens to a friend. She was down to one or two - not enough to stay warm in her coop. I've started cooking with eggs again. I'm making French Toast casserole for my kids - using 20 eggs. That's a good start.

DS10 grade-skipped after Thanksgiving. He's in middle school now. I've been picking him up after school, going in and having him sort through his stuff, check his assignment notebook/planner, make sure he has all his stuff in order. Today he'd forgotten his binder and textbook in one class and had to run back and get it. It's difficult and time-consuming, but much better than the alternative. He had been lying to his 5th grade teacher that he had his homework in his bag and then coming home and lying about "forgetting" his homework. The middle school has much better accountability for students and transparency for parents. I was able to block his lunch account so he'd stop "forgetting" to pack a lunch (every day for a month, pretty sure that's not forgetting anymore). I have a parent portal login so I can see his attendance in real time, his grades, and upcoming learning targets. I'm happy. He struggled this first week - in a good way. He's going to learn those study skills that have been lagging. He also is learning that precision counts, and a passing familiarity is not the same as mastering content. thank goodness! :celebrate

I am relearning to cook and refiguring out meal planning now that 2017 food preservation is done. We have different cuts of meat this year and I'm going to learn some new meals. We have a lot of bone-in meat this year, we've never processed this way before.

I have a growing fascination with holiday cactus - that's not being politically correct, there are three species, commonly called after the holidays they bloom near - thanksgiving, christmas and Easter. The one we think of as "christmas" cactus is actually the thanksgiving cactus! They're easier to force to bloom at different times of the year. I'm working on mine to try to make it bloom mid-summer for the county fair. Not next year, I pruned it back harshly. I have a vision for that plant! I have two thanksgiving cactus (one is technically DS10's) and an Easter cactus. ALDI will have "christmas" cactus in on Wednesday so I'm hoping to go and look for a color I don't have!

I also ordered a variety pack of about 30 succulent cuttings! They're so fun! I hope they root well! I mixed up the right potting soil for them, so I'm feeling hopeful. I had minimized most of my houseplants earlier this year, but have decided that I don't mind keeping succulents. They're easy enough to care for and I don't have to keep track of multiple watering schedules if all my houseplants have the same care instructions.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Succulents are great fun to grow and so easy! I used to grow them in S.A. for our garden nursery and got a bit carried away… I ended up with more than 80 different ones and even sold some to collectors.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - you've had a lot going on! Glad you're better and glad you're back! Hope the succulents do well for you. :fl

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Succulents are great fun to grow and so easy! I used to grow them in S.A. for our garden nursery and got a bit carried away… I ended up with more than 80 different ones and even sold some to collectors.

Doesn't sounds excessive to me! I can envision myself amassing a huge collection of succulents and selling. I need to start by identifying what I have - and keeping them alive. :gig

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh but I had numerous plants of each type/variety! I had hundreds of them… This was my favourite:

90382942.jpg

We call it an "Aasblom" in South Africa. I had this variety and the maroon coloured flower one.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Behind the flower, to the left, is the bud of the next flower. It opens one petal at a time :)