Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS15 were at the shelter today. They've had this white shepherd that only the manager can touch. For everyone else he does a big scary-looking "go away" aggressive display. I have been feeding him canned food on a spoon through the gate 2 - 5 days per week for months. Some days he can eat a couple bites before he goes back to snarling, barking, and biting at the gate. He has always done it when people turn their back or leave - a moment of "weakness " when he feels more bold.

Today, he only barked a few times, and it was more playful than "go away." I was able to open the kennel room door, give him the food on a spoon and step backwards out the door without him barking or putting his feet on the gate. After 5 repeats/trials I had the shelter manager watch on the surveillance cam. He was great, probably did 40 trials without him getting stressed out and using his aggressive "go away" tactics.

I might have cried a bit. 😍

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So much drama in dog 4H! You are a jewel and this superintendent needs to get on the program! What a controlling dummy.

That’s heart touching about the white shepherd. Poor dog has had some rough treatment, you just never know what animals have gone through.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The dog project meeting was tame compared to what I heard about the previous meeting. I took on a bunch of paperwork stuff - no biggie for me and I really like knowing all the kids, dogs, and parents names! I'm doing about the same paperwork as last year, I can plan educational events, and I get to work one-to-one with kids/dogs that need extra help.

It's fine, I just have like 8 more events to plan now. :gig: (slight exaggeration) At least this one is moving forward now. I get stressed out when things are stuck!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was happy for an empty day on my calendar. Nope! Kids had 4-H dairy bowl practice. DS15 had a tantrum before (and didn't go), DS7 had a tantrum all the way home. 🙄

I opened my mouth and now I need to prep dairy cow anatomy posters for the dairy bowl kids to fill out. 🙄

DS15 and I are picking up a couple shifts at the shelter this coming week.

Sounds like I need to prep for the week with a nap.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I survived the week! Naps every day! 😄 DS15 started virtual school and restarts therapy next week. Thankfully therapy is virtual too.

Kids were double-booked today. DS15 had dairy bowl practice 20 miles north and DS7 had swimming 20 miles south. DH took DS7. Turned out his usual swim instructor was out today and her substitute had another private lesson booked at the same time. IDK how that happened! I sent DH a pic of the registration - wasn't our mistake!

DH wanted to go to Applebee's to try their all-you-can-eat special. He mentioned it yesterday so I looked up their menu/ingredients and made a list of things I could probably eat without feeling sick. Good thing I did, because we went today! I feel good, but everyone else stuffed themselves. DH's pants are tight (usually are just about falling off, but he gained a few in the last year), and DS15 has a bloated bellyache. DS7 was cranky and hyper. I feel like I'm winning 2023 resolutions. :gig

I have been busy updating the dog project website. I finished the big stuff today. Superintendent is back to being great. I think there's a couple people who put a lot of pressure on her. And she seems to feel more confident with giving me tasks and revising my drafts. Hopefully the drama blows over. :fl I

Cat project meeting was fine. Small - only 2 out of about a dozen families came. That's about what I expected. I haven't started the follow-up work for that meeting yet. Tomorrow, maybe?

DS7 doesn't have school tomorrow. He went to bed late. I'm up way too late. Tomorrow isn't looking good :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The library is playing a kids' movie since there's no school today. DS15 is volunteering during it. He has been tasked with cleaning up (popcorn) during the movie. DS7 was hyper and not listening so I decided to take him home instead. Nap time for DS7! (He's not sleeping...)

We volunteered at the shelter this morning. DS15 cuddled with a very needy hound - they are getting very attached, it's sweet. I'd foster her if I didn't dislike hounds so much (and if DH wasn't bothered by chaos so much). DS7 played with a cat. She dislikes other cats so she lives in a cat condo cage. It's important that she gets time out of her cage whenever possible. I trained the two problem dogs - Jack the worried GSD and a Labrador that is having a tough time.

The lab was surrendered about 6 months after a divorce. The spouse the dog was bonded to didn't keep him in the divorce. The other spouse kept him, but the dog was losing weight, not eating, his fur was falling out. Broken heart failure to thrive? He has gained some weight at the shelter and is starting to learn some leash manners. He needs so much more though. I hope someone can see past his ugly fuzzy fur and give him a chance. He just needs a home, someone to love on him and play fetch.

There's another person working with Jack on weekends. It sounds like they're doing really well. Jack is making faster progress with me since this other person has started bringing him treats too. Jack was happy to lie down in his kennel today, didn't lose his %&#* when I gave treats to the dog in the next kennel over and.... HE ATE MILKBONES! So far I've only been able to get him to eat canned food on a spoon. That's because it took the bestest treats to overcome his fear/discomfort. Eating dry treats shows that he's feeling a lot better about me/people at his kennel door. 🤩

Latest posts