1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cleaning ball caps, help please! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with discouragement

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by Chic Rustler, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018
    Calista

Calista Lovin' The Homestead

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'll give him your extra hug. :)

milkmansdaughter and sumi like this.
  2. Feb 12, 2018
    mythreesons290322

mythreesons290322 Power Conserver

I too, feel very overwhelmed with daily tasks of dealing with a adult son that was born super intelligent but lacks all common sense, doesn’t drive at 25 years old because frankly I don’t trust his judgement and he would be on our insurance, a legally blind brother whom lately keeps getting sick, and my 86 yr old MIL who just moved in 6-weeks ago with us in our very small house that has dementia and is mostly blind..

Oh,yea my life feels like it’s caving in right now.

However, I just keep myself thinking that spring is around the corner and soon I will be seeing all my flowers that I planted last fall, watching everything bud out, wondering if my fruit trees and berry bushes will give me a good abundance of fruit, adding new raised beds to expand my garden...walking my edible/medicinal gardens..watching my chickens do their peck and scratch dance as I free range...I have to focus on what gives me the most pleasure to keep me from sinking into a deep dark hole...

Hugs to all that want one or need one.

3. Feb 12, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Almost Self-Reliant

Wow. I am truly humbled

mythreesons290322 likes this.
  4. Feb 12, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

@mythreesons290322 - I wanna give you a hug. :hugs I spent the last six months with my parents living with me after they lost everything in Hurricane Harvey. My dad is totally deaf and mom's dementia progressed at an alarming rate. I recently found an amazing Assisted Living facility that is working out well for them. It was the hardest thing I've ever dealt with so I have an inkling of what you are going through. Good for you keeping a positive attitude!

mythreesons290322 likes this.
  5. Feb 12, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

@mythreesons290322 , it sounds like you'll fit right in here! I like the sound of your edible/medicinal garden! I also have fruit trees and berry bushes, and a regular garden (adding more raised beds this year), and free range chickens. And we've got lots of medical stuff going on here too. Welcome to the group! What are you growing in your medicinal/edible garden?

6. Feb 12, 2018
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

@mythreesons290322 :hugs There is nothing like a bit of garden and chicken therapy to set the world straight :) I used to go sit on the coop with my birds when things got too much to handle. Or messed around in the garden, looking at the new seedlings, plants setting fruit… Small happy moments.

7. Feb 14, 2018
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

My mom had a stroke at 88 and moved in with us. She died at 92, she got so bad that I had to make that awful decision that nobody wants to make. Sigh.... Big hugs to you and know that you are not alone in this journey. I quit my job to care for my mother. I expanded the chicken coop, got more chickens and worked in my garden. Small precious moments of sanity...

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  8. Feb 14, 2018
    Dani4Hedgies

Dani4Hedgies Power Conserver

HUGS to EVERYONE!!! When I start getting discouraged and overwhelmed I come to sites like this one and talk/read with others who are doing what Im doing/dreaming of doing and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my homestead. Hope everyone has a Great Heart Day and hoping you are having nice weather today too...(here in KS they are calling for weather to be a wonderful 56 degree and while its overcast and dark looking I will take the warm with the rain.)