Dean foods files for bankruptcy

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
For Xennials (like myself) and younger, people are so much better educated about nutrition. We know that dairy-heavy diets do promote faster growth in children but also predispose to chronic illness. We are finding ourselves healthier after reducing or eliminating dairy.

The dairy industry is messsssed up. So this is no surprise at all to me. It's like a housing bubble... it's going to pop someday.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I often eat P-nut butter from a spoon....even if I have bread. LOL

But those past times of struggle are the basis for much of the self sufficient actions of today, in our lives. We garden, we preserve food, we feed one animal or plant that produces to feed many more.

I feel blessed to be a part of it.

same here Mini - sometimes that is a snack.

most days i start with peanut butter and banana so having an extra slug off the knife is common - especially the colder it gets...

like beans peanut butter is a staple for me. i've driven all over and lived off not much but having a good loaf of multigrain bread and a jar of peanut butter is always good eating to me. Mom's homemade bread and my freezer strawberry jam just makes it better.

as for blessings, i feel that every day i'm alive is that since i barely made it at the start to begin with.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK BOOMER

I read an article that this is the smart alec retort to "old" people, a sort of verbal eyeroll, blowing off the "old" person who is probably saying something like, back when..... The youngest generation, what letter are we on now? Z? I dunno…..anyway they blame the Boomers for the ills of the world. There are even T-shirts and such with OK BOOMER on them. Turn off the electricity and see how long they last......

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cut off the WiFi !!! Now THAT would be a disaster for them....I mean how would they survive??????????
I swear, the more I see in the stores each week, the more I want to just stay home and be a hermit.

Of course, we'd need an "underground" communication for SS -- I mean, who could I tell about the new piglets, fresh eggs, my first ripe tomato -- who would even care?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
milk delivered in the qt glass bottles and it having the cream on top that

Yes !!!

It was Bergy's Dairy. They went out of business in the early 2000s. That fire that burned the VA Beach Farmer's Market was the last straw.

They had cut back some and kept many cows at a Chesapeake farm. But the store on Shore Drive was there a long time, as well as the lovely farm home where they still kept a few head. Then, they ran a little "rent a spot" garden area behind the little shop. They used to have farm tours for the school kids at the Va Beach farm. You saw the cows, got to see them milk one and all the info about a diary, etc. Ice cream was the "top off". LOL Such nice memories. As an adult, I lived about 4 miles from that little store, over by the Lesner Bridge. Thanks for the dates.....just couldn't remember but, thought late 60's to mid 70's.

Been a while! LOL

ETA: That Farmer's market is huge now....and homes EVERYWHERE! Princess Anne Park is across the street & was expanded to accommodate all manner of activities. Used to be farm land.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a lot of people are drinking other things now instead of milk. apparently they could not find other buyers for their milk or cream or cheeses or something.

600 dairies going out of business a year is a major hit to many small farm towns.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My take... A company that can not market to millennials (gen z), is going to struggle. In my business, I do a little studying and have been studying millennials. The biggest shock I discovered is millennials have an attention span of 5 seconds. Look at you tube ads they are 5 seconds before you can click away from them.

Examples.
Starkist in pouches now instead of cans because most millennials don't own can openers.

millennials prefer gluten-reduced and gluten-free beers made that are lower in alcohol and much more hoppy. (Lite beers don't cut it for millennials but white claw does). Most everything has to be reduced or free of sugar and absolutely must be low carbs.

millennials are also very on-line centric. They would rather use an app to grocery shop, have it delivered than hop in the car and head to a brick and mortor. Just look at the amazon CEO, jeff bezos is richest man in the world.

milk has a bad rap with millennials life style, to much fat. Heck even @wyoDreamer who I know is not a millennial is convinced that deans French onion dip which is the bomb, is fattening. See to me a post baby-boomer, fat = flavor, but to a millennial fat = nasty don't eat!

I predict within the next decade, the whole concept of brick and mortar stores will be mostly gone. Goods and services will be delivered mostly on-line and by drone or robot. Yes... you need a brake job for your car? It will be done by a robot. I give it 10 years from now, watch and see what I tell you.

My oldest son and his girl friend are millennials. They won't come to thanksgiving or Christmas because the food and drink are too fattening. I kid you not... Now I'm not saying anything bad about millennials, it's just the way they are. But if you own a goods and services business you best adapt or close up shop one or the other. Us baby boomers are dying off and millennials are going to replace us sooner rather than later.

Look at AOC and her new green deal... She's a millennial and if she had her way there would be no hamburgers for you! Well maybe you could have a hamburger but it would be made in a lab and not with cow meat either.

See my point?

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A 5 second attention span...….they'd never make it in a flat bottom boat with a cane pole.

My daughter orders groceries online, then picks them up on her way home from work. The app tracks her phone, telling the store where she is and how soon she will be there.

She shops practically everything Amazon and is gluten free (not beer, she doesn't drink)

Latest posts