Del Monte recalls canned corn in 25 states, 12 nations, due to botulism risk

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's nice having another New Englander on here! Yeah... we're a long ways from gardening still. Memorial day weekend is usual planting time here, for the bulk of the garden anyway.

I push my season a bit. It helps to have deep mulch in the garden. (Either BTE or hay) That keeps the frost from penetrating so deeply, and believe it or not, helps the soil to dry out quicker. I try to have greens and peas in the ground within the first 2 weeks of April. My warm weather crops can go in the ground by May 10 if I have a poly tunnel over them.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love gardening. Every season, I start with a new slate. Lots of experimenting. What would happen if... And, the failures and mistakes I had with the last season get swept off the slate.

Every year, you will build on the experience of the previous seasons. But, you gotta remember: none of us have any control of the weather. You could do everything text book perfect, and still have a crop failure due to insect, disease or weather.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love gardening. Every season, I start with a new slate. Lots of experimenting. What would happen if... And, the failures and mistakes I had with the last season get swept off the slate.

Every year, you will build on the experience of the previous seasons. But, you gotta remember: none of us have any control of the weather. You could do everything text book perfect, and still have a crop failure due to insect, disease or weather.

Really good overview LG. Come to think about it... I believe that's the real reason I like to garden. I look at it as a challenge with opportunity to learn something new. Besides the food is far superior to store bought, excpecially tomatoes and peppers. I don't like orange tomatoes or tasteless peppers much.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jumping in late to the conversation - but I've been wondering about all these produce recalls this year.
I work at a landfill. We have a few trucks every day from brokers who hire drivers to pull loads without the driver having any idea of what they're pulling or what type of facility they're delivering to. At least once a week I have a driver get lost on the landfill because he can't find the loading dock (doesn't exist on a landfill) or come out furious and cussing a blue streak because he had no idea he was hauling garbage. ALL of them are coming from out of state - often many states away. So it is vital that they already have a load scheduled to take back to wherever they came from - 1st rule of trucking, never drive empty. Which means that almost all of them drive directly to another location to pick up a load - either loading the trailer they're hooked to or to drop this trailer to be loaded later and grab a full one.
My point is - almost all of them are simply ferrying trailers from place to place - hook up, pull off - drop an empty, grab a full.
So... what's to prevent a trailer (almost all with wooden floors) from eventually arriving at a produce pickup point with a full load of bacteria growing on every inside surface???? I mean, other than someone checking the box 'Yes' on a sheet of paper somewhere that asked if it's been washed....

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jumping in late to the conversation - but I've been wondering about all these produce recalls this year.
I work at a landfill. We have a few trucks every day from brokers who hire drivers to pull loads without the driver having any idea of what they're pulling or what type of facility they're delivering to. At least once a week I have a driver get lost on the landfill because he can't find the loading dock (doesn't exist on a landfill) or come out furious and cussing a blue streak because he had no idea he was hauling garbage. ALL of them are coming from out of state - often many states away. So it is vital that they already have a load scheduled to take back to wherever they came from - 1st rule of trucking, never drive empty. Which means that almost all of them drive directly to another location to pick up a load - either loading the trailer they're hooked to or to drop this trailer to be loaded later and grab a full one.
My point is - almost all of them are simply ferrying trailers from place to place - hook up, pull off - drop an empty, grab a full.
So... what's to prevent a trailer (almost all with wooden floors) from eventually arriving at a produce pickup point with a full load of bacteria growing on every inside surface???? I mean, other than someone checking the box 'Yes' on a sheet of paper somewhere that asked if it's been washed....

WOW! JUST WOW!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only ever had creamed corn from a can and didn't like it much at all. I'm sure home made has got to be better though.
Cream corn from a can is like eating dog vomit. :sick
Home made cream corn is like eating fresh corn.