Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not! But, I do have some new pics for your viewing pleasure. First off, the "chipmunks".

2398_sany7232.jpg

Next, my 2 silky chicks. I still don't know what sex they are and can't tell the difference between them. :/

2398_sany7228.jpg

And last but not least, some pics of the coop! It's not done 100%, but it's done enough that I was able to move my birds over! Ralph was quite happy. I think he's realized that he's safe in there. The other roosters cannot get to him, so he's not going to get beat up.

2398_sany7233.jpg

2398_sany7234.jpg

2398_sany7236.jpg

And last but not least, there's one chicken on the farm that's a cross between my old Americauna rooster and a Black Australorp. RU told me B4 that I could have her. So, while I was rounding everybody else up, I decided to grab her too. I waited for a bit after putting her in to be sure she wasn't getting beat up, but she was fine. Ralph flirted w/her, and Roxi was the only one that pecked at her. And, it wasn't anything major. So, hopefully, she'll be OK. I might take a run out there this evening just to check and be sure everyone is OK.

2398_sany7235.jpg

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
FarmerChick said:
get that pool up NOW!! I know what you mean on the heat. once your body gets overheated it is so hard to come down.

hang in there. hot weather is on its way!
And that's the problem! I want cool weather! :lol: Pool will be up soon. It hasn't been that high on the list because it hasn't been that hot-until this weekend. I STILL need to get the garden in, but can't do that until hubby finishes the fence. (He keeps putting it off) It does me no good to put it in now because of the stupid groundhogs. They eat my plants. :somad
Yesterday was our hottest day, 95. Today it is 81, with temps heading to the high 60's by the end of the week :hide Sorry Deb!

We had bad groundhog problems at our old house. Ended up putting in fence, and burying it in the ground a ways - those buggers sure can dig!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They can also climb! When the fence is all up, I'll be putting electric along the top of it. And if I have to, I'll put some hardware cloth in the ground to keep them from digging under it.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
They can also climb! When the fence is all up, I'll be putting electric along the top of it. And if I have to, I'll put some hardware cloth in the ground to keep them from digging under it.
:barnie
I wonder if that's what kept getting things after the fence was up! We assumed deer, as they were all over that immediate area, but the plants were eaten just along the outside edges of the SFG's. Hmmm... Ended up putting out wind chimes, and all the munching stopped, so that might be something for you to stick out there too :idunno

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'll look into it. Over the winter, we plan on putting cement in all the holes that we have. We have them in the green house as well as in the lean to where we store the motorcycles and lawn mower. :rant It does no good to fill them in now, they just dig them right back out. We've caught a couple, but that's it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Thanks, BB! I think for now, I'm going to leave them penned up. I want to get the fence up around my tack shed. Then, I'm going to put some of the leftover fencing on the gates to make it so none of the other chickens can hopefully get in my field, and mine can't get out. I've already had one rooster come over and try to start some trouble thru the fence. This is the one that normally beats up Ralph. 2x I had to chase him out of the area where I used to have them.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Cantaloup is the best lure for groundhogs. Works like a charm for us anyway. And watching one trap himself (herself?) is hilarious.

We had them under the house, and we knew they were there, and we were all live and let live until they chewed our cable wire and cost us $100.00. Cantaloup is cheaper.

Chickens look great!!