Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With all the rain we've been getting here lately, I was shocked when I was digging in the garden last evening. It was dry, even 6 inches down, almost as if we had never received 5 good rains in the last 3 weeks. I guess the moisture just never gets down very far.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Especially when it's hot out, it just doesn't get the chance to soak down. Plus, if it rains hard and the ground is hard, the rain will run off instead of soaking in.

I don't know if it's just me, or if the wild animals are getting odder. But, I saw 2 really weird things today.

First off, I had hung a load of clothes out on the line. I was getting ready to leave and looked out the kitchen window. I saw a wren (for those that may not know, that's a small bird) checking out a pair of shorts. Then it flew INTO the shorts. I didn't see it come out, so I don't know if it went out the leg or what. Then I saw it holding onto the side of a sock. Then it started flying around the socks, perching on different ones, and just in general look like it was playing.

During my lunch break I was taking it easy when I heard a noise. There's bells on the front door and it sounded kind of like that, but not completely. I go and look at the door. It was closed and no one was there. Then I heard the noise again. It sounded like fingernails on glass. On one end of the nature center, there's an L-shaped deck. There's a door that opens onto the deck and the rest of that area is glass the whole way down. There was a ground hog scratching on the glass! I don't know if it wanted in, or if it saw it's reflection and thought it was another ground hog.

Went for a motorcycle ride w/the group tonight. We need to start going for shorter rides. It was pitch dark by the time I got home. I don't really like to ride at night.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That wren story is cute. I know some animals play, so why not birds? Maybe he was a young one and enjoyed figuring out the different textures and angles on his feet. Kind of like a jungle gym?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few years ago, I was sitting on the back deck reading, one nice fall day, when a couple of little wrens came hopping up to me. I sat very still, and they hopped onto my shoe, pulling on the shoestrings, nosing around, and eventually went up my pantleg! They explored my ankle for a while, while I held my breath, then they mosied on out and on their way. I guess they never realized they were on a human and therefore in immediate danger! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love wrens, they are such fun birds to watch! :lol: Our Carolina wrens are always building nests in the craziest of places and it's not unusual for them to perch on the wind chimes or camper windows (looking for bugs).

A few months back, I was out by the firepit with Bubba (doc was at work) and I start hearing "foot steps" behind my chair. Now I'm hard of hearing and these steps were loud and close. Bubs not freaking out but I was starting too, as every time I turned around and shone my headlamp where I was hearing these steps I was not seeing anything! :ep You can probably imagine my huge relief when I finally busted a big American wood toad hopping through the dead leaves on the ground, behind me! :gig

We don't like to ride after dark either, Deb! ;)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Hi Deb! Sounds like you are working at the nature or are you volunteering? Either way I hope you are having fun with it!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Snapshot, for the summer, I'm working there. I've done a ton of volunteering over the years and decided I'd apply for the summer aid position.

Today was an interesting day at work. We had an open program scheduled for today at 10:00. (Open programs are free programs for the public.) I had nothing to do while waiting, so I started working on my 4 H lessons for the year. Door opens. It's the head grounds keeper. He had no assistants today and found out he had a large group coming from a local special school to go canoeing! We don't know if they forgot to tell anyone, or what, but he had about 50 kids coming along w/the teachers and aids to go canoeing. He was panicking trying to figure out how he was going to lauch canoes and kayaks as well as fit everyone for lifejackets. So, he wanted to know if JT could spare me. We didn't have many people registered for the program, so I went and helped the grounds keeper.

It was a busy morning. The equipment closet was a mess! It was hard getting the first group of kids fitted because it was hard to find the right sizes. Once I got them all fitted, I straightened the closet up. For now, it's organized, can't guarantee it still will be on Monday! This lasted almost until lunch time.

Afternoon, I worked on the project I'd supposed to do for the park. I've chosen to write up a guide to the trees that are native to the area that are found in the park, give people some idea as to where they can find them, and what animals (other than bugs) use them as a food source. I've got most of the trees written down.

I was busy on that when the park ranger came over. A visitor to the park had approached him in concern about a young mallard. It just wasnt acting right. So, we called animal control, and until they came, I duck sat! :lol: Once they got there, I showed them where it was. They were able to just walk right up and catch it, so you know something was wrong w/it.

I was going to go to prayer meeting, but I'm beat. Soon as I get some energy, I'm going to throw a pizza in the oven. Hubby isn't home, so I'll have a nice, quiet evening. I just might get the bathroom clean.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds like a crazy day, but someone was looking out for the poor guy by having you available to help him...
id be flustered too!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Forgot to say, I got soaked going to the farm today! I thought it was just cloudy out. Didn't get far B4 I realized it was really foggy out! If I had known, I would have put on my rain gear. It took me awhile to dry out.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today started out as a great day. It was foggy again, but this time I was ready for it. I put my rain gear on B4 I left the house. Once I got to the farm, I put my muck boots on so I wouldn't get wet feet. I had no problem feeding, even did some weeding. And, I left the gate into the parking area w/the electric up across the opening so that Misty and Stormy could really eat the grass down in there. The fog was breaking up by the time I got to work.

Work today was good. We had another open program, and had a nice turnout. There weren't too many people, but not so few that we felt like we were wasting our time. I even had time to make the craft, and have now come up w/an idea of something I can maybe make and sell. (Not saying anything else about it now.)

I was able to take a nap at lunch time and this time I KNOW I fell asleep. Only problem? The phone rang 10 minutes B4 my lunch time was done! :barnie There was nothing planned for this afternoon, and I had nothing inside to do. I'm working on a project to ID the trees in the park, where to find them, and what animals use them for a food source. So, I went for a walk.

The walk was nice and relaxing. I now know all the trails on that side of the park-didn't B4. I had a tree book w/me for just in case I wasn't sure about any of the trees. And I did use it a couple of times. There's a place where the woods are on the left side, and a field on the other. There are places in there w/wild blackberries. I found a few that were ripe, and sunwarmed. Of course, I had to pick them and eat them. I heard a noise to my left and looked. There were 2 fawns! I was able to get some pics, but they're not the greatest. I also found some wild grapes-but they're not ripe yet.

I continue down the trail to where I'm back in the woods. I hear a noise to the left and there's another deer! This one was an adult, but I couldn't see enough of it to determine the sex. I felt so relaxed heading back to the nature center. And I know that doing something w/nature is what I need to be doing. I don't find this to be work, and almost feel guilty that I'm getting paid for it. (But that doesn't mean I don't want my paycheck!)

I head out to the farm. I've been having problems w/my mower, so my field really needs to be cleaned. I planned on working on that as long as I could start the mower. And, I had a gas can w/me so I could stop on the way home to get more to take out in the morning. (I don't have time in the morning to get gas.) I get down the lane, and realize that something's wrong. There's a mini out! And, I realize that ALL of CL's horses are in the parking area. There's no sign of either Misty or Stormy. I finally found them-in CL's field. My first thought was that I didn't close the gate properly behind me when I left. So, I go and check it out. They broke the double ended clip! I need to get something different, just don't have the time right now.

I manage to get all the horses chased back into the field they belong in. I couldn't catch the mini, but when he realized that he was alone, he came running, so that meant all of CL's horses were out of my field. Then I walked over to Stormy, put a lead around his neck and led him back. Misty followed as I knew she would.

By this time I don't feel like doing anything. But, I still had to feed Stormy. LF was there and wanted to know if I could put a RB out for her horses, so I did. I had some other things to do, so it was after 6:00 B4 I left. I didn't stop for the gas. I got home to no dinner. Managed to get something to eat, and now I'm relaxing B4 I head to bed.