Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Well, I finally have a fence up around my tack shed! There are still a couple of things I need to do in order to finish-like make a gate, but it's up! So, I no longer have to worry about loose horses getting into my hay. I no longer have to worry about CL's dogs chasing Cindy when she's here, or getting into my field and chasing my horses. Bad thing is, I've had the fencing for quite some time-hubby was supposed to help and I finally got tired of waiting.

I worked some more on the project I'm doing on the computer. It's on the majority of the trees in this area and what animals use them as a food source-complete w/pics of the trees. I have 2 more trees I need to get a pic of, and finish writing everything up, then it's done.

Dinner I did easy. I got some frozen pizza out and heated it up. I'll probably have a salad as well. I had been going to make salmon loaf, but w/as hot as it is, I didn't want to heat up the kitchen that long. It's supposed to cool down over the weekend, so I'll wait.

Also ended up giving RU a hand for a bit. She had a hen on 5 eggs. 2 hatched out. One didn't make it out all the way, and 2 did nothing. So yesterday at the hay/livestock auction, she picked up a dozen chicks for $13. She put them in w/the hen one at a time, and since the hen can't count, she accepted them w/no problem. But overnight, a rat managed to get in the pen. So, she's done to 8. I helped her move them into her parrot's winter pen. They can't get out of that, and there's nothing that can get them.

I also helped her rig up some fencing until she has a chance to fix it properly. She broke a post w/the tractor when she was putting out hay. She said prices were really good at the auction yesterday. I'll be going next week and seeing if I can't get some more squares.

I was going to work on my tree project a bit more, but I need my tablet to verify some info. Hubby's the last one to use it and it's dead, so it's charging right now. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

I think I'm actually going to be able to get to bed on time tonight! That will help. I was beat when I got up, then worked in the heat for most of the day.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Slowly but surely, I'm getting there! And even though some days it doesn't LOOK like I've gotten much done, by checking off my to-do list, I know that I have.

Today's list

1. Iron clothes
2. Practice piano
3. Dishes
4. Feed farm animals
5. Go to the Nature Center and teach a class on IDing plants. (Volunteer basis)
6. Pick field
7. Feed Stormy, take care of chickens, Cindy and put out hay.
8. Work on cleaning bedroom
9. Work on fixing roof to goat house
10. Work on cleaning out truck
11. Make and eat dinner
12. Work on tree project
13. Fold and put away laundry
14. Collapse

OK, my list gets shorter and shorter, but only because the stuff I'm doing in a day takes longer and longer.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
If I had known how little I was actually going to do of the teaching today, I don't know that I would have bothered to go. Basically, it was a waste of my time.

Hubby was supposed to come home early enough to help me work on the roof to the goat house. Well, he didn't, and there was a chance of T storms. So, I got rid of the broken part, and covered it up w/a tarp. I couldn't find my staple gun, so I put some logs on the tarp to hold it in place.

I'm almost all caught up on the dishes! If hubby hadn't used up all the pots and pans, I'd be done.

Got started working on the bedroom. Problem is, there's stuff in there that hasn't been gone thru for years. And, I DON'T want to go thru it. But, it has to be done. Truthfully, it's hard to see that I even did anything, but I did. Since I had such a hard time even getting started, I decided I'd set the timer for 30 minutes and do as much in that time as I could. I kept checking it hoping time was up. I was glad to hear it beep.

The only thing I have left to do now is collapse. And, I'll be glad to do that.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today's list:

1. Wash and hang out a load of clothes
2. Work on cleaning the basement (Not looking forward to that!)
3. Iron clothes
4. Practice piano
5. Get hay and unload
6. Feed farm animals and bag feed
7. Pick field
8. Replace fence post
9. Feed Stormy, put out hay, take care of Cindy and the chickens.
10 Work on cleaning out truck-hubby wants to use it
11. Make and eat dinner
12. Do dishes
13. Work on tree project
14. Collapse

No matter how much I get done, I can always count on doing # 14.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't get everything done today, but not my fault. First off, in order to get the hay this morning, I needed to unload the mower from my trailer. Hubby was supposed to help, but he forgot. So that meant I had to do it by myself. And, it had a flat. So I turn on the compressor, then look for the end I need. I couldn't find it. I looked all over, no luck. Have you ever tried to push a riding mower w/a flat tire? Believe me, it's no fun! I couldn't get it to budge at first. I was finally able to get it to move-1inch. Figured I had to figure out a different way to get it to move. Came up w/the idea of using a pole to get a bit of leverage. That worked, but I had to really be careful to make sure I got it on the boards I was using as a ramp correctly. Finally got it off, went to the bank and got money, then headed out for the hay much later than I wanted to.

I get there. They have the hay in a semi-trailer. (They do hay on the side, their main business is fixing big trucks) They go to start up a truck to get a trailer so they can unload it-truck won't start. So, they have to get another one. Get the trailer moved into position, start up a tractor and go to get hay. One of the hydraulic hoses is spurting out fluid, so they couldn't use that. They go and get a fork lift. They get 3 bales loaded, go to get a 4th bale. It's really loose. They ask me if that one is OK, I told them it should be fine, I'd just feed that one next. Well, he dropped it and it came apart. So, he had to get another bale.

Get to the farm. KN was there, and she had gone ahead and fed my horses and let Cindy and the chickens out. I went ahead and fed CL's horses, bagged feed and picked my field. It's much easier to pick if the manure hasn't been smashed down by driving over it. Once that was done, I went ahead and got the tractor. Got the hay all out, but since it was so late by the time I was able to get there, I didn't have time to do the post. Hubby, his brother and his brother's BIL make wine. And hubby needed the truck to pick up the grapes. So I had to leave.

Hubby decides that the bed of the truck isn't clean enough to put the grapes in, so he gives it a better cleaning than it's had in years! But, since he wasn't quite sure where to go, he asked me to go w/him. I figured we go, get the grapes, drop them off, go feed Stormy and be home no later than 6:30. It was after 7:30 by the time we got home! I had been going to do dishes. I unloaded the dishwasher this morning, but I'm not doing dishes now. I may or may not work on my tree project. So, for the first time since I started listing what I was doing, I'm not finishing my list.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today I don't know if I'm going to do much. My throat is a bit scratchy and for me that can mean trouble. So my list for today:

1. Work in the garden
2. Go canoeing
3. Fold laundry
4. Iron clothes
5. Pick field
6. Feed Stormy, put out hay, take care of Cindy and the chickens
7. Make and eat dinner
8. Practice piano
10. Dishes
11. Work on tree project
12. Make brownies-I just might have to stop at a store though, to get some sugar!
13. Collapse

Most of this stuff is fairly easy and effortless. The hardest thing on the list is to work in the garden.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Looking back over my lists for the past couple of days or so, I realized that I forgot to put feed the goats on there! I did it anyway.

My work on my tree project for today consisted of finding the last 2 trees I needed to take pics of and getting the pics taken. Now I just need to finish writing everything up and getting the pics in place. I'm hoping it won't take too long.

Canoeing was good for bird watching but I'll admit to getting a bit bored w/canoeing over at the Nature Center. There's a beaver dam that we can't get past, so we can't go upstream. Canoeing there is getting old.

Got my field all cleaned up. If I'm able to do it everyday, it doesn't take long. It's when I can't that it's a problem.

I had hoped to get more hay on Monday but they're calling for rain. And since I had to leave so early yesterday I didn't get my hay all covered and didn't have time today. I'm going to have to do it tomorrow.

I had enough sugar to make my brownies, but stopped at the store anyway. I got more sugar as well as a few other items that I needed. I had been going to get them last time hubby and I went shopping, but he wasn't feeling good and didn't tell me. Instead, he rushed thru the store and I forgot most of the stuff I had to have-like kitty litter! The kitty litter is in the truck waiting for the next time I take it out to the farm. I also had to stop and get gas. Hubby used up almost all of my gas yesterday. And in spite of going past several gas stations where the gas is cheaper than around here, he didn't stop. He was supposed to give me money this morning-but didn't. :he

I'm beginning to think that dishes are related to rabbits. I had most of them done the other day, and haven't really made more. Last night, I had frozen pizza. Today I didn't eat much because I wasn't all that hungry. And I'm STILL not all caught up on the dishes! So, I think they must be multiplying when I'm not looking.

I think I'm coming down w/a cold. My throat still feels scratchy, and I have a runny nose. Or, it could be allergies.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking it as easy as possible tomorrow. Church, playing for my dad at a nursing home service he does, taking care of animals and covering the hay and that's about it. No laundry, no yard work, and maybe no dishes.