Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Today is going to be another cold day. But, then it's going to be warmer for Wednesday and Saturday! I may be able to do some work in the yard then as well as get more wood. There's still plenty that I can get to easily w/my generator sitting by the edge of the woods.

I have my appointments today, so I'm going in Lowe's and Wally World. I'm going to see what I can find in the way of another electric heater as well as the rest of my seeds. Even though I don't have the greenhouse set up for it, I'm going to start at least my flower seeds. I'll just have to start them in the house. And, everything that I don't get, will be ordered this week. They are calling for it to be warmer by the end of the month, so I really need to get stuff going. And, it should make spring feel closer. I'm hoping to get to the greenhouse this week if at all possible. I'm thinking of trying to build this for heat. http://velacreations.com/energy/heat/407-rocket-mass-heater.html

I'm also going out to dinner w/CMA tonight and am looking forward to that. I hope we get a good turnout.

Both B4 and after Bible study, I'm going to see if I can do a bit of cleaning to my field. I want to get the run in cleaned out at the very least. Then tomorrow, I'll see if I can get most of the cart filled, then fill it the rest of the way on Thursday morning early. That way, I can dump it while the ground is still frozen, then start to refill it again. I've been wanting to do that, but it was just too cold. I'm also planning on doing some housework. I need to get started.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I need to clean my run in too, and I just don't feel like it!
Warmer means mud, and I'm not really keen on that. Course there's more snow in our forecast too. What an odd winter.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yesterday was a good day. I wanted to post last night, but I was falling asleep, so I couldn't. I cleaned the run in, and most of the cart is full. So, if I get to the farm early enough, I'm hoping I can get it filled the rest of the way and dumped B4 it gets warm out. If it gets warm too early, I can't do it because the ground will be so soft I'll be getting stuck.

Since it's going to be so warm and sunny, if I can get done at the farm early enough, I can finally get the manure spread in my garden. If I can get that done, then on Saturday, I hope to be able to start raking my yard. I haven't done it for a couple of years! What I rake up will go in the chipper, then get put in the garden.

I'm also hoping to go in the woods and get some more wood cut. There's a red maple that's still alive, but is pretty much down. I cut part of it the other day. Now I'm wondering about hanging a bucket off the part I cut in hopes that I can get some sap and make syrup. After all, it's going to be above freezing during the day, but below freezing at night. And, red maple is one of the trees that they recommend for syrup making.

Yesterday, I was able to get some more seeds. One seed that I got is a sunflower that grows to about 5 ft tall. I plan on starting them at home, then when they get to a certain height, I'm wanting to transplant them out to the farm in the chicken pen. That will give the chickens some shade as well as some food. I was also able to get some vegetable seeds, but not all the ones that I want. So, I think I'm going to be ordering seeds this weekend. And, if I can find the room, I'll be starting flower seeds indoors.

I also picked up an electric heater for in my tack shed. So I'm hoping I can FINALLY get it all cleaned and arranged-at least as much as can be done for now. I've told hubby that when we get good weather, I'm wanting to get that all done. W/the way I'll have it arranged, it will be basically a tiny house, but w/out running water. And, the "bathroom" will be outside. But, I'll have a couple of basins so I can wash dishes. I have a small table I need to redo that's the perfect size. I need to get a piece of foam to replace the air mattress since that loses air. I'll have a counter w/some storage, will make an ice box, and will have a hot plate and toaster oven out there. And, I plan on getting an outdoor recliner. So if I need (or want) to spend the night, I'll be quite comfortable.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Wow, you're going to be all set up! That will be really nice!
I'm both looking forward to and dragging the warmer weather. I might not need a coat but I'll need boots to deal with the mud!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Tell me about it! I got my tack shed pretty much done. But, I have a whole bunch of stuff that needs to either come home, or go in my feed stall. But, it was muddy, and I didn't want to track the mud in so it will wait until tomorrow.

I also got part of my field cleaned. I dumped the cart, and got it partially refilled. I hope to work on that some more tomorrow.

And, I got more wood cut! I dragged it all home and stuck it in the woodshed for now. We could get some snow overnight, and I didn't want it to get wet.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be another cold, blustery day. I don't think I'm going to do more outside than I have to. I'll feed, do what I can to the field, then hide in my tack shed. I'm wondering if I put up a dark colored tarp on the south side if it would help make it warmer in there. My shed is white, so it reflects the sun. And, if I put up a tarp on the inside for now stapled to the wall, I'm wondering how it would act as insulation. Maybe I'll run to Harbor Freight B4 heading to the farm and seeing what I can get.

I have to cut up wood today and fill the wood holder. I'm hoping I cut enough yesterday to more than fill it up. Of course, I did have that one that I cut that I couldn't do anything with. It got caught in a bunch of vines. Hopefully w/the wind, it will fall down. And, I cut the red maple, but did nothing w/it. It was a multi trunk tree. I don't know if it got hit by lighting, or what, but the one trunk is down. It was still connected to the tree. I had cut off the top-which got stuck in vines, now I've cut the trunk. I don't know if it's still alive or not.
Other than that, housework, laundry, dishes and dreaming of spring.

Oh, and I got my new laptop! Now I have to get used to it. It's bigger than my old one, so it feels awkward.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yay for a new laptop!! I know that will make your life easier!
Our high today is 30, which was the low last night... that's never a good sign. The low tonight is in the single digits. And its crazy windy today. I'm very happy to be in the office today and not outside!!
Don't blow away today!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't do much of anything today. I just didn't feel like it. Plus, I'm tired of all the cold and the wind. I did get up one tarp in my tack shed and was actually able to get it up to a balmy 50. Seeing as it was only 30 out, that was an improvement. But, I didn't feel the greatest, so I took a nap.

Other than some wood, didn't really do anything at home, either. I'm planning on going to bed soon.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Hubby and I were both beat last night. We both slept thru the night! Normally, he'll wake up at some point in time and go put wood in the stove. He didn't last night. He thought I wasn't going to have any coals. But, I had quite a number of them. It was fairly easy to start the fire last night. I wasn't sure how well the fire was going to burn. I had a large piece of either Russian or autumn olive in. It seems to burn quite well. There's quite a bit of it in the woods, so now I know it makes good firewood.

I'm still really feeling beat, so I'm going to do what I can today. I will be so glad when we get some warmer weather. That will help quite a bit. I'm just so tired of the cold. I don't want to be out in it. It wouldn't be so bad if hubby had finished my shed. I'd be able to relax in there and have it warm. But, since it's not important to him, he just never bothered. I've told him that when the weather warms up a bit, I'm finishing it. I'm hoping that when I'm ready to start that all I have to do is tell him I'm working on it to motivate him to do it.