Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm to the point now where I have to watch myself. I'm still not completely over this. But, I'm also feeling good enough to overdo it, and cause myself to have a relapse. I'm wondering if some ACV and honey would help knock out the last little bit. I still have a bit of a sore throat, so I've been sucking on horehound drops. Eventually, I want to make my own. Not only do they taste good, but they're great for sore throats!

Yesterday, I took a nice long nap in my tack shed after I was done work. Then, I went and found RU. She paid me extra-not a whole lot, but still more than I was expecting-because of what I had had to deal w/the day b4. And, we also had a bit of a talk. LF may be leaving the farm, and if she does, then I can move my horses down to where she has hers. The area is just a little bit bigger. But, the main thing that makes me want to do it is, her area faces the back of the farm and the woods. Mine faces the street. I would much rather be back where she is.

Once I got home, I started to pull some of the mint out of my garden. When my hubby got home, he decided he wanted takeouts, so of course, I had to go and get them. :rolleyes: By the time I got back, it was dark. So, I ended up splitting wood w/the lights on. And, while I prefer to do the wood while it's still light out, I think that if I'm going to get everything else done b4 the ground freezes, this is what I'm going to have to do. Tonight, I probably won't be able to do anything outside since it's supposed to be raining, so I'll concentrate on cleaning the house.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Splitting wood is hard work, you must have some good muscles!

You sound pretty energetic for someone who has been pretty sick, splitting wood, pulling weeds and taking care of horses in your story. You must be in pretty good shape. I tend to get "soft" when the rainy season hits because I don't like to go outside in it except in spurts, but I live in a rain forest so shouldn't complain when it rains I guess.

How cool your horses will get a nicer space. That is always a good feeling. We really expaneded the size of our duck pen and we felt so accomplished, you would have thought we have done something really great, but it was fun seeing them checking out the new area.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't do bad for someone that's going to hit 50 in March. ;) And the wood that I split last night was w/the splitter, not the axe. (But then again, this was all wood that I couldn't split w/the axe!)

Unfortunately, I don't have any choice. If I get sick, everything just piles up worse than it is. There is no one to take my place at my job. Quite truthfully, I'd like to quit it, but a) I need the money b) it's something I can do w/my MD and c) if I tell her I'm only coming in to do stalls, or am coming in real early to do stalls cuz I want to go riding, she doesn't have a problem w/it. I doubt I'd find a regular part time job w/that kind of understanding and/or flexibility. Plus, she lets me take home all the downed trees in her woods that she has no need for, so that gives me firewood. She'll even let me use her tractor if it's too wet for my truck.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Believe me, I understand totally about working with MD. I'm a lot less picky than I used to be and at this point I'm thankful to be employed. I'd really like to go on disability at this point but can't afford the interval of waiting. I hope yours does not get to the point where mine is at.
Is your MD in your family? mine is...mom, grandma, aunt. All us females except my sister was spared. So far my daughter is okay. How about your family?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Believe me, I understand totally about working with MD. I'm a lot less picky than I used to be and at this point I'm thankful to be employed. I'd really like to go on disability at this point but can't afford the interval of waiting. I hope yours does not get to the point where mine is at.
Is your MD in your family? mine is...mom, grandma, aunt. All us females except my sister was spared. So far my daughter is okay. How about your family?
I'm the only one-except my MIL that has this. At times I read what struggles others go thru w/this, and am thankful that mine is so mild. I've had this for about 23 years now. And for the most part, I've been able to lead a "normal" life. When I'm not bad, I ride both my horse and my motorcycle (but not at the same time), I used to do karate-though they let me slide on the spinning kicks-and got up to 2nd degree black. I still have the majority of my hearing, and don't get the constant ringing in my ears.

One thing that I've often wondered about is if there is a way to tell if someone is predisposed to MD. For as long as I can remember, I have not been able to stand having the wind blow in my ears. Plus, even as a child, I'd get occasional tinnitus. But, it seemed like it always happened in stores. I can remember asking my parents about it, and they didn't know what I was talking about.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I don't do bad for someone that's going to hit 50 in March. ;) And the wood that I split last night was w/the splitter, not the axe. (But then again, this was all wood that I couldn't split w/the axe!)

Unfortunately, I don't have any choice. If I get sick, everything just piles up worse than it is. There is no one to take my place at my job. Quite truthfully, I'd like to quit it, but a) I need the money b) it's something I can do w/my MD and c) if I tell her I'm only coming in to do stalls, or am coming in real early to do stalls cuz I want to go riding, she doesn't have a problem w/it. I doubt I'd find a regular part time job w/that kind of understanding and/or flexibility. Plus, she lets me take home all the downed trees in her woods that she has no need for, so that gives me firewood. She'll even let me use her tractor if it's too wet for my truck.
Are you married? Id be getting DH to cut wood.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Denim Deb said:

DH can no longer do wood. He threw out his back. So, if I want the wood, I have to do it myself. And, w/the way our house is, if I don't have a fire going in the basement, no matter how warm the upstairs is, it feels chilly. Plus, we have electric heat.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
BarredBuff said:
Denim Deb said:

DH can no longer do wood. He threw out his back. So, if I want the wood, I have to do it myself. And, w/the way our house is, if I don't have a fire going in the basement, no matter how warm the upstairs is, it feels chilly. Plus, we have electric heat.
Im sorry if my 2 cents offended you. Im sorry about your Dh too.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
savingdogs said:
I'm the only one-except my MIL that has this. At times I read what struggles others go thru w/this, and am thankful that mine is so mild. I've had this for about 23 years now. And for the most part, I've been able to lead a "normal" life. When I'm not bad, I ride both my horse and my motorcycle (but not at the same time), I used to do karate-though they let me slide on the spinning kicks-and got up to 2nd degree black. I still have the majority of my hearing, and don't get the constant ringing in my ears.

One thing that I've often wondered about is if there is a way to tell if someone is predisposed to MD. For as long as I can remember, I have not been able to stand having the wind blow in my ears. Plus, even as a child, I'd get occasional tinnitus. But, it seemed like it always happened in stores. I can remember asking my parents about it, and they didn't know what I was talking about.
I don't think they understand it yet. My doctor is working on the theory about atmospheric pressures. He writes down dates that I don't feel especially well and tracks them with his other patients. I do have a pattern of having vertigo or hearing changes that occur when a big storm is coming. Do you have trouble with flying or going up hills? I live on a mountain and going up hill seems to aggravate me but I've never had an issue with flying, but I guess some patients do.

Are you on medication at this point? I've been on Triamterene for many years and it is very helpful. I've tried the Acetazolathiazide for dieuretic but it bothers my kidneys. Have they tried you on those?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've been having a lot of sinus pressure lately and it's not due to my cold! There's a big storm system moving up the coast. And, when we had TS Nicole (?) hit, I was dizzy for a few days ahead of it.

I don't do a lot of flying, in fact have only been on 4 trips that required it! The first 2 times were pre MD. The 1st time after MD, as soon as they pressurized the cabin, I got a vertigo attack so bad I was glad I had a window seat. I spent the whole flight-Philly to Miami-w/my head against the cabin wall. I was fine once we landed.

The 2nd time, I tried these things called Earplanes. And, I didn't have any problems at all.

As for hills, I've been known to get a vertigo attack if the ground is slightly uneven! As much as I'd love to live where it's hillier, I'm not sure how well I'd do.

I've never had to take any meds long term. I've been lucky in that as long as I avoid my triggers, I'm able to control it. The problem being is when you don't know something is in what you're eating/drinking. I always thought all root beer was caffeine free. I found out the hard way this summer that Barq's has caffeine.

Oh, and BB, I'm not offended. I only wish my DH or even my DS would do the wood! But, they always have an excuse as to why they can't do it. At times, I would love to just leave my family behind, and go and move into my tack shed!