Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Today was a fairly good day. I finally started to feel a bit better, so I was able to get quite a bit done. I worked in my field and was able to dump the cart-that makes 2x this week! I went to the bank and the feed store. My horses can now eat for another month. I worked on firewood. The wood holder in the basement is now full. And, I did some dishes. Now I'm beat and thinking of bed.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today started out cold. But, by the afternoon, it felt more like spring. I went for a bird walk this morning, and it was cold! I had to run to Wally World afterwards, but by the time I got home I had no problem working outside. I had been going to put my generator in the back of my truck so I could get some wood, but right now, I can't drive where I'd need to. So, I just carried it to one spot and worked from there. As I got the wood cut, I put it in a pile. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get it all cut up and in the wood shed. I believe there's at least enough to fill the wood holder, if not more. And, I'm also hoping to get the last of the other wood in the shed. If I can get the shed filled soon, I shouldn't have to cut any more for awhile. Instead, I'd start bringing it home, then piling it up. I need another shed. I think if I can have 2 the same size, I'd be able to store enough for the year in them.

Once I was done that, I headed to the farm. I would have loved to have taken the bike. But, at this time of year, if I don't head for home by around 3:30, it gets too cold. And, it was later than that when I headed out.
I got Stormy fed, and got my tank filled. Then, I started cleaning the field yet again. Because of the freezing temps, the ground has pretty much dried up. If I can get the cart filled again tomorrow, I think I'll be able to dump it w/out getting stuck, even though it's supposed to be in the 50s! This is the cleanest my field has been for awhile. Depending on how much rain we get from the next system, as well as how cold it gets, I may be able to get the whole thing cleaned. Right now, there's piles I can't get up because they're frozen.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
0117151751a.jpg

I'm playing around w/my new laptop. This is a picture of a picture of the dog I had many years ago, my Cocker, Ebony. I still miss her.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
So much for a relaxing Sunday. B4 I left for church, I put away a load of clothes, and ironed a basket of shirts. Then, after church, l I finished loading my cart, then dumped it. I still haven't gotten the whole of the field done, but I've made a ton of progress. And, once I got home, I worked on cutting up wood. I finally got tired of it, and just put the rest in the woodshed. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow, and I don't want it to get wet

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They've changed the forecast! They're now not calling for rain until later today, possibly not until after nightfall! So, even though it's not quite as warm as it was over the weekend, I'm going to take advantage of a dry day. I'm going to see if I can't get my field completely cleaned-w/the exception of any manure that's still frozen to the ground.

Then, I'm going to finally get the manure in my garden. Plus, if the ground isn't frozen, start doing some work on hubby's area. I'll also spread around some stuff that I have just dumped in there. Then, I'm going to clean out my greenhouse.

If it hasn't started to rain by then, or if it's still light out, I'm going to start raking the yard and putting everything in the garden. I'm not going to worry about wood for the day. I believe I have enough in the house to last until tomorrow. If I get this all done, I'll feel so much better.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Any rain not wanted will be welcome here. Love the pic of Ebony, I had a Cocker named Ginger and I still miss that dog too.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get one this year. I'm having trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for, though. I don't want one w/the show coat that they have now, but haven't had much luck in finding the old fashioned kind. The other thought is to find an English Cocker instead of an American. I'm not sure which she was since she came w/out papers.

I didn't get everything done yesterday. I was beat. I cleaned as much of my field as I could fit in my cart. There was more in the one area than I'd realized. But, over half the field is clean.

I got home, and was cold and hungry. I grabbed a bite to eat, then fell asleep. And I didn't really want to do anything outside. I finally went out and fed animals, then worked in the garden a bit. I got manure into 1/4 of my garden.
It still hasn't rained any. They kept pushing the time for it to start back. I'm hoping we don't get any. I have to do some work today after Bible study, and I want to get more manure in the field plus I have to do wood. The last of the wood I had in the house was more wet than I'd realized and I had a horrible time getting it to burn last night. I finally started sorting thru a box of papers and burning what I could. That got the fire going. I have more that I can burn if I need to. Hubby said we were going to get a cord of wood. I'm still waiting for that to happen

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I'm so sick of winter too. We had the same thing happen here, i think it was frozen and thawed in just enough cycles to actually dry it out before it really thawed into the 50s. I was very happy that it wasn't all mud. This system arrived later than they thought here, too. So last night we got freezing rain and it looks pretty bad out there right now. The bf made it to work ok though. I have zero interest in going outside right now!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We didn't really get anything. I'm glad. So, this should help dry stuff out even more.

I had to go to work for a bit today, and will be going for longer tomorrow. I got home later than I'd planned, so didn't have time to do a lot at home. I was able to get some more of the manure in the garden, but not as much as I had hoped to do. The top few inches are frozen and it wasn't warm enough or sunny enough to thaw it out. But, I was able to go in from the bottom, and get enough out to fill my dump cart 2x.

Once I got done w/that, I started working on the wood. I have some I cannot split by hand, so I was going to split it w/the splitter, but the splitter wouldn't work right. I think it needs hydraulic oil. And of course, I couldn't find it. So, I basically just did enough wood for overnight. I'll have to run to TSC and get oil tomorrow.

Came in, threw a load of clothes in the washer, got the fire going, then made dinner while I was doing dishes. Now I'm relaxing. I think I'm going to be able to get to bed fairly early tonight!