Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
bassets can't swim because they are too short and heavy-boned. My vet told me their leg bones are as long as any tall breed, but they are kind of folded in on themselves; so they have the weight, but not the long reach of a bigger dog... so they can't push the water away as hard. Try as they might, they just can't swim.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, I don't have the time to go canoeing. Wish I did, especially since it's starting to get cooler. It doesn't help that the truck isn't running, so I couldn't go even if I had the time.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've been on here, and a lot has happened since then.
After my mom's death, I started going out first once a day, then twice a day to check on my father. I also drove him most places he needed to go as well as cleaned his house and did his yard work. Also helped him with wood. Evenings I spent with him watching TV.
My husband had to stop working due to herniated disks. He was in a lot of pain. I kept asking him if he was sure it was all from the back. He insisted that it was. Then, he started to lose weight. And, he couldn't go to the bathroom. I begged him to go and get checked out, but he refused for months. He finally went to the ER 9/1/20. He had stage 4 colorectal cancer. He spent 11 days in the hospital. They were unable to operate. He came home w/a colostomy bag.
I was now splitting my time between caring for Dad and hubby. If hubby called when I was at my Dad's, I left. Then, on Valentine's Day, 2021, Dad had a fall. He hadn't looked good in the morning. He was talking about going to church. I advised him to stay home since the weather wasn't the greatest. I shot my brother a text and asked him to stop in and check on Dad on his way home from church. He never read it.
When I got back later that day, I found him in his room. He had fallen and couldn't get up. I took him to the hospital, they kept him overnight, then sent him to a rehab. From that day, he couldn't live by himself. The family tried to keep him in his home, but eventually it got to the point where we couldn't do it. So, he ended up in a home. I was still visiting him as often as I could
Hubby did not respond to chemo. They tried immunotherapy. He ended up in the hospital right after Thanksgiving in 2021. He was in for 10 days. They tried a chemo pill. He ended up in the hospital right after Christmas. He was in for 5 days. They tried another pill. That also didn't work. In April of 2022, they gave him 2-3 months. He didn't even last 2 weeks. He went home to be with the Lord April 25, 2022.
Dad has a stroke late October. Unless I knew someone else was going to be there, I visited him everyday. He went home November 12, 2022. I was getting a shower before heading over to see him when I got a call that he had passed that morning.
Besides my husband and father, I also lost Gidget goat January 25, 2022, and Stormy pony June 28, 2022. Then, on January 19th of this year, I lost a BIL.
Needless to say, I was not able to do much for the past few years. Hubby was a packrat, so I have a ton of junk to go through. I'm making progress, but it's been slow.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You mentioned in another thread that you are moving to Kentucky. Do yourself a favor and keep going through all the stuff and get rid of all you can.

My husband and I moved February 14, 2015. We sold our house so quick, that stuff got thrown in a truck, I didn’t get a chance to do through anything.

My husband died September 20, 2021. I sold the farm so fast, it was crazy. Closed in 63 days on February 15, 2022. I moved all my farm stuff, dogs and sheep, to my sons house on 2 acres. Had to sell my horses, got rid of chickens. 6 months later, closed on a 25 acre farm and moved again. Still moving stuff! Going to finish moving one of these days and have a yard sale. I’ve unpacked boxes that haven’t been opened since 2015! Point is, unload all that you can. Have yard sale !!

How traumatic it must have been, having your husband and father sick at the same time. Take time for you. Losing your animals was a kick in the heart and that hurts. It does get better, the hurt and loss doesn’t go away, but it gets better.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
You mentioned in another thread that you are moving to Kentucky. Do yourself a favor and keep going through all the stuff and get rid of all you can.

My husband and I moved February 14, 2015. We sold our house so quick, that stuff got thrown in a truck, I didn’t get a chance to do through anything.

My husband died September 20, 2021. I sold the farm so fast, it was crazy. Closed in 63 days on February 15, 2022. I moved all my farm stuff, dogs and sheep, to my sons house on 2 acres. Had to sell my horses, got rid of chickens. 6 months later, closed on a 25 acre farm and moved again. Still moving stuff! Going to finish moving one of these days and have a yard sale. I’ve unpacked boxes that haven’t been opened since 2015! Point is, unload all that you can. Have yard sale !!

How traumatic it must have been, having your husband and father sick at the same time. Take time for you. Losing your animals was a kick in the heart and that hurts. It does get better, the hurt and loss doesn’t go away, but it gets better.
It was rough for several months. I just couldn't get motivated to do anything. I was basically doing the bare minimum.
I've been working on getting a schedule down. Of course, it constantly changes. But, I am making progress. I have one small patch to weed in my flower garden, and that will be the first time in years that it's been completely weeded! I've been working on getting the yard cleaned up. I've taken a few loads of metal to the scrap yard and there's still more.
I'm only planning on keeping what I want. Don't know about having a yard sale here. I've had them in the past, and had very poor attendance. I'd like to find someplace where I could rent a space. But, I haven't had time to look.
Sorry to hear about your husband. It's not easy.