Deoderant is inherently evil.

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've given deod/antiperspirant as well. Tom's makes my pits break out, the Crystal only works if I reapply it 15x per day. Washing is really the only thing that does work, but I'm not going to do that repeatedly though the day unless I have to go somewhere REALLY important. I just don't care if I stink anymore. :ya I've just accepted that when I'm going to be somewhere that makes me nervous I have to put on a sweater to cover the pitting-out. :lol: It's turned into a running joke around here that my armpits smell like Grampa... Apparently it's hereditary! :lol:

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chandasue said:
I've given deod/antiperspirant as well. Tom's makes my pits break out, the Crystal only works if I reapply it 15x per day. Washing is really the only thing that does work, but I'm not going to do that repeatedly though the day unless I have to go somewhere REALLY important. I just don't care if I stink anymore. :ya I've just accepted that when I'm going to be somewhere that makes me nervous I have to put on a sweater to cover the pitting-out. :lol: It's turned into a running joke around here that my armpits smell like Grampa... Apparently it's hereditary! :lol:
It is!! I smell like grandpa too!! I think stinky feet are hereditary too.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Eeeeek! I just recently read about the evils of antiperspirants. And the whole thing of antiperspirants= possible breast cancer kind of makes sense to me. My doctor told me that there's a huge number of new breast cancers being detected in women who had no family history of breast cancer on either side. And more breast cancer in men now, too.

Is it food or environment (in the armpit or everywhere) or genetic? Hard to say...but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

In the past, I have used baking soda/cornstarch with moderate success. I'm going to get arrowroot and coconut oil the next time I get near a health food store and try this recipe:

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/02/homemade-all-natural-deodorant.html

And once in a while use the rubbing alcohol.

Hey, I just looked at the crystal deodorant thing. Since it's basically 'salts', would finely ground sea salt do anything as an added ingredient??? I know that it kills some mouth bacterias.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I make a paste out of olive oil and baking soda, then add EOs. Last time I added some tea tree and lavender. It's not going to keep me stink free on a hard-working summer day, but it's perfect for doing work at the office. Then again, NOTHING keeps me stink free on a hot hard summer day :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I make a paste out of olive oil and baking soda, then add EOs.
Is your end product firm? or do you keep it in a little jar and apply with your fingers.

You gals that are making a paste type natural deodorant - what's the advantage of that over just using the dry stuff?

I was going to get arrowroot to mix with baking soda, but late last night I read that cornstarch seems works better. I have no problem using cornstarch but some people avoid it.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I joined the crystal stick users yesterday. My last thing of deodorant fell apart, and I'd been applying by holding the small pieces in my fingers, which got old real fast. When I was in the health food store I asked if they carried the rock deodorant, and they said yup, so I got one. I haven't used it very long, obviously, but I like the idea of it lasting for so much longer, and it having no additives or anything.

They also had a lightly scented roll on one, but that really kind of defied my imagination. How do you roll on a rock?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well. you could wet the rock and rub it on your pits. not recommended. (the water will run down your sides and NOT be comfortable) Better is to wet your pits and rub on the rock deodorant.