Deoderant is inherently evil.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hu Mine is scentless. The roll on one they had on the shelf had a lavendar scent. The commercial deodorants all have a range of overly strong chemical scents. :hu

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea mine was scentless too...hmmmm. Idk. Maybe it's just me.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm...I think I need to change brands and look around a little more. Or maybe get a nose replacment :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First off, remember that the smells are not caused by sweat. Rather, it's the poo from the bacterial that live in your sweat that make the smell. So, based on the amount of time it takes bacteria to reproduce, you can figure out that frequent washing really will take care of the problem. I'm going to guess that washing every 4-6 hours would be enough even in very sweaty conditions. Also, you should be able to keep the smell under control if you keep dry by wearing clothing that allows some circulation.

Now, if you're trying to avoid aluminum, you should be aware that alum is a name for a general class of chemical compounds [1,2] that often include aluminum. I understand that alums are salts that often contain aluminum, but could contain amonium or any other alkali metal [3]. That's salt in the way a chemist would say it---positively and negatively charged atoms bound ionically. In this case, it's polyatomic ions, not individual atoms.

There's no sense in claiming links of anything to cancer unless you can site a good source. And, as you know, just because you find it on the mighty interwebs or think that it's related to your diet, doesn't mean that it's so.

1. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alum
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkali_metal

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
It's not always practical to wash every 4-6 hours. Some of us have lives. :lol:
Smelling bad is the traditional solution to being too busy to wash frequently. I understand the traditional solution is still practiced extensively in France and other parts of Europe.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make my own deodorant. I got the recipe from a blog. But, I don't remember which one.
1/4 C. baking soda, 1/4 c. cornstarch, 20 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix it all up and allow it to sit for 2 days to harden.
I keep mine in a jar and I apply it with the back of an old ice tea spoon. :lol: Please don't tell anyone. I do that because, it is solid in the winter and it does soften up quite a bit in the summertime because of the coconut oil. It also makes it easy to apply. It works great for me and I sweat pretty heavily. If I'm doing heavy yardwork out in the hot sun I will have to reapply when I am finished. Other then that one application a day seems to work really well.
I have also been known to use alchohol wipes in the past. The kind that come in first aid kits. They are nice to keep in your purse in case you forgot to put on deodorant in the morning or you've been dancing a lot at a wedding, or you forget that your in laws like to keep the house at an even 80 degrees in the wintertime, and you show up in a turtleneck sweater....please tell me that happens to you too ??

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Close, but not quite. Many years ago on a visit to my sister I had a similar experience. She lived in a top floor of a house that was converted to apartments. And, it was about 80 degrees in there! I was dying!

As for washing every 4-6 hours, I don't have that kind of time. And w/the humidity that we have, it doesn't matter what you wear, it gets soaked and the air doesn't really circulate.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
LOL about the relatives with 80 degree houses in the winter!

I actually do a swipe a few times a day with alcohol if I worry about what I may smell like. If I'm at work (air conditioned) I don't bother. I figure if I kill the bacteria I won't stink as badly. Maybe still damp, but not smelly!