Deoderant is inherently evil.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nono, I know that. I mean that the "roll on" had a rollerball, like you would use with a liquid deodorant, not just a stick. What I didn't get was how you used a rock with a roller ball. :p

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm officially a fan of the crystal deodorant. But I suppose the real test will come tonight, when I go to zumba, and the final test will be how it works in thew summer time when I'm working harder. :p

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I use the crystal also. I'm on my second one. My first one was as bout 10 years old and there was still quite a bit of it, but it got dropped and shattered into many many pieces. Both my children and my hubby have their own also. I think the crystal deodorant is the best. At ~$4 for a crystal that lasts you over 10 years? Gotta like it, esp that there is no nasties in it.How nasty is KAl(SO4)2.12H2O? because that is what your crystals are.

As for tea tree oil, my ds is using it topically on his face for zit control. It works better than benzoil peroxide any day.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
~gd said:
miss_thenorth said:
I use the crystal also. I'm on my second one. My first one was as bout 10 years old and there was still quite a bit of it, but it got dropped and shattered into many many pieces. Both my children and my hubby have their own also. I think the crystal deodorant is the best. At ~$4 for a crystal that lasts you over 10 years? Gotta like it, esp that there is no nasties in it.How nasty is KAl(SO4)2.12H2O? because that is what your crystals are.

As for tea tree oil, my ds is using it topically on his face for zit control. It works better than benzoil peroxide any day.
k, all you needed to say was alum. Yes, it contains alum, and from every thing I have read, it is safe for human use. do you have proof of otherwise? This is what I use .http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com/
All products are 100% pure and natural, contain no harmful aluminums or parabens and are made with pharmaceutical grade mineral salts. For those with sensitive skin, our hypoallergenic, fragrance free formula works amazingly!

Naturally Fresh Deodorant is the number one recommended deodorant by doctors including oncologists, dermatologists and allergists. Our products are the ideal deodorant choice for people allergic to or irritated by conventional deodorants, people battling cancer, and people who are seeking a healthy lifestyle.

Try Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal products today and we promise you will be happy, healthy, and odor free!
http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com/

If you have information, please share, because all the research I have done on it, and I have done alot of research, it is deemed safe. And please back up your statements, so I can read them too. thanks.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK I admit to trying to use the phobia that is displayed by many on this board about chemicals and that is why I used the chemical formula for the alum that makes up these crystals: KAl(SO4)2.12H2O. You do know what a question is? How nasty is __________? Is a question, not a statement of fact. I got inspired by the site you mentioned and quoted (I can Google too)
http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com/
Uses similar word games to promote itself for example contain no harmful aluminums does that mean that it does not contain aluminum? (The Al after the K in the chemical formula is the chemical symbol for aluminum heck the common name Alum comes from aluminum!) What it really says is that the aluminum that it does contain is not harmful .They want to fool you because you might have read about the fuss about aluminum and brain health
Do you really feel that a product is Natural if manufactured made with pharmaceutical grade mineral salts.? Again a true statement meant to deceive.
Do you know why they insist it is not an antiperspirant even while they make this claim Our Deodorant Crystal products contain natural mineral salts to prevent odor causing bacteria and function as an astringent to reduce perspiration. If something reduces perspiration it is an antiperspirant but if it does not claim to be one it is regulated as a cosmetic not under the much stricter Drug rules (which would not allow these word games) you can claim all kinds of stuff under cosmetic rules.
Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum for more on Alum. Do I think Alum is harmful? Heck No I use it as a septic pencil when I shave, use it on my pickles to make them crisp, all of my drinking water is treated with it to remove mud. I even play with it weekly to grow some wonderful crystals (different impurities give different colors) I even use on my body and armpits in the summer.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Nono, I know that. I mean that the "roll on" had a rollerball, like you would use with a liquid deodorant, not just a stick. What I didn't get was how you used a rock with a roller ball. :p
The brand we carried came in a roll-on and spray as well as a rock. I asked the same question ...

The spray is just the rock dissolved in water (so very diluted ... You get a lot less!). The roll on is a thicker spray solution in a roll-on bottle. So again, you're getting less. I never bothered with the roll on or spray for that reason, but some folks might likethe convenience of it.

Interesting play on the alum. I wondered what you saying there, gd. :) Now, if someone can figure out for me what "98% MSG-free" means on a Chinese buffet ... (hint: it does NOT mean you can't become very ill if you are msg-sensitive!!!)

Edited to correct the spell check ... Yes I DID type what I MEANT to say. Silly thing keeps second-guessing me and changing my words ...

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I've been using a Toms of Maine roll on for a few months now. It works pretty well. I'm not normally a very stinky-BO type person though, unless I'm working really hard. I really dislike the wetness of the roll on. Next time I'll get t heir stick deodorant.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Neko-chan said:
The brand we carried came in a roll-on and spray as well as a rock. I asked the same question ...

The spray is just the rock dissolved in water (so very diluted ... You get a lot less!). The roll on is a thicker spray solution in a roll-on bottle. So again, you're getting less. I never bothered with the roll on or spray for that reason, but some folks might likethe convenience of it.

Interesting play on the alum. I wondered what you saying there, gd. :) Now, if someone can figure out for me what "98% MSG-free" means on a Chinese buffet ... (hint: it does NOT mean you can't become very ill if you are msg-sensitive!!!)Maybe they only add 2% (and that is a lot of MSG! I love the stuff but have never added over 1/2 %) are you sensitive only to msg or to all glutamates which are natural and manmade flavor enhancers? ~gd

Edited to correct the spell check ... Yes I DID type what I MEANT to say. Silly thing keeps second-guessing me and changing my words ...

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haha that's what I was thinking ... The food is up to 2% MSG!

And I'm not sure. Honestly, I used to not notice a problem with it, used it myself, and didn't care if it was added.

Then I started getting headaches, extreme dry mouth, etc. so I could tell when I had eaten it. Lately it's become more unpleasant side effects and a longer recovery time, which leaves me really leery of experimenting on myself now.

I did some reading, and I'm wondering if the others would have the same effect. It seems they are REALLY difficult to avoid. I do make most everything, and from scratch, but even some simple ingredients might cause problems.

What REALLY got me about MSG was learning how it works. I'd always assumed it was a preservative and a spice, but it's actual effect of making food taste better is because it is a neuro-exciter? That doesn't set well with me. I'm all for a nice ambiance, etc. improving my perception of the taste of food but not a neuro-exciter.

I feel like I'm getting off topic though, and I know I talked about this once before. It's not a major soapbox for me, just something that causes a deep sigh when I realize there's something ELSE I have to watch for if I want to feel well. :rolleyes:

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried the rock thing. The one with the roller ball because that's all I could find. And I think it STINKS!! The thing seriously smelled like BO before I even used it! So the next time I was back at the store I went and smelled the other ones (insert here the mental image of a lone female standing in the deoderant aisle on a Friday night smelling all the different deoderants) and they all smelled like that.

Does anyone else think they smell kinda funky?