Deodorant

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, so, I'm tired of paying for Dove, but I'm not willing to buy cheaper deodorants, because in the long run, they cost about the same, if not more, as Dove, because I have to apply them every few hours. SO.... I'm wondering, who here has tried making their own deodorant? I'm going to have to give it a shot, because I'm too cheap to buy more Dove if I can make a GOOD alternative for dirt cheap. I do have a sensitivity to baking soda though... Applying it even short term in one of my testing phase facial masks, my face BURNED. So, not even going to make that attempt in a deodorant for all day wear. I've also tried all natural roll-on deodorants, and even after a week of stinking, they still didn't work.
So, if anyone has any input or experience, please let me know! I'll be experimenting around here soon, so I'll post notes as well.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, no idea about making your own--I just use a crystal deoderant, the small ones last me about 2-3 years (or more if I don't drop and break one!) and they only cost about $4 each.

You can re-apply throughout the day if you need it, but the real secret to not stinking is to wash often, especially if you sweat a lot.

If you are constantly on the go, you can get a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and use that throughout the day to kill germs rather than washing, then reapply your natural deoderant.

It does take time for your body to get used to you not blocking all of your pores with that pasty white anti-perspirant. Anti-perspirant actually works against your body's natural way of cooling itself (sweating) and your body works harder to produce sweat if you block those ducts.

Natural deoderant works by killing the germs, rather than blocking your sweat ducts, so you will still sweat. But your body will be a lot healthier :)

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been using the crystal for the last 3 years and I love it. I have stopped stinking like I did.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The crystal can be made with Alum... I've thought about making them, but honestly, the deodorants that were based off of this ingredient didn't work very well for me. I'd start to stink again in a few short hours. I used it for awhile for my body to adjust, and I still had to constantly apply it. :/ Maybe using the rock itself instead of a liquidy roll-on would work for a little longer though.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use an even mixture of corn starch and baking soda then mix in a little of my favorite talc powder for the pretty smell. It works great for me.
Nancy

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
The crystal can be made with Alum... I've thought about making them, but honestly, the deodorants that were based off of this ingredient didn't work very well for me. I'd start to stink again in a few short hours. I used it for awhile for my body to adjust, and I still had to constantly apply it. :/ Maybe using the rock itself instead of a liquidy roll-on would work for a little longer though.
I've never used the liquid roll-on, by my 16 yo daughter has tried it and it didn't work at all for her. She now has a crystal as well and says it works just fine. So that may be something to try anyway :)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Diet and such things can also affect your body odor as well. Might be worth some other research.

Beyond that, I have heard of some people using coconut oil and corn starch mixed to make deodorant. You might try searching on google, I think I've read some blog posts about making your own, but I don't think I saved the links.

Please post if you find something!

BP4469

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have made deodorant with coconut oil, cornstarch, and tea tree essential oil. I just used an old deodorant tube to pack it in. I'll try to find the recipe.

ok here is one recipe: angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/homemade-deodor.html

BP4469

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is the one that I have made and use: littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/03/quick-stick-deodorant.html

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hear a LOT about "pit detox" in the comments of every blog or site that has these recipes... I seriously wonder what that's all about? Most the time, I'll go without deodorant and just wash up, since I'm at the house by myself most of the day, and I've NEVER experienced this "detox". I wonder what's REALLY going on with these folks?

As for the recipe, I'm going to attempt one with a very small amount of BS, a larger amount of arrowroot powder, some cocoa butter and maybe some other stuff. I'm still doing some research to decide what some other things could be included.