Deodorant

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LMAO! I just pictured someone trying to rub one of the lamps on their pits!

There are directions for the salt bars because you don't want to rub the stone on your armpit unless you like micro cuts that hurt like the dickens. Wet salt and rub hands on it. Rub hands on body where ever you're using it.

You could probably use a table salt solution fine as well. I bought the bars because they are easy to use.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, now I have a mental picture of someone rubbing a light bulb on their pits! :lol:

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was using DOVE, and then realized it has Aluminum in it. So I tossed it, and made my own.

I used:Cold Pressed Coconut oil, Rumford Aluminum Free corn starch, baking soda, and a little rose scented natural body powder. Put it in the
cleaned out Dove Deodorant container. It works great.

txcanoegirl said:
I like finding ways of making my own stuff, but continue doing it ONLY if my homemade product meets or exceeds the quality or effectiveness of the store-bought stuff. I don't have any experience with the homemade deodorant, so can't comment on the above recipes, but I find Dove very effective for me, and I'm a sweater. Not the fuzzy type, but the other kind. Anyway, I was in the warehouse store the other day and saw that a multi-pack of Dove was a darned good buy, so I bought it. When I got home and started putting my purchases away, I discovered how many Dove deodorant sticks I already had on the shelf. Okay, now I've determined that I probably don't need to buy more for the rest of my life, hence the idea of making my own deodorant from scratch a moot point.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm reviving this super old thread to see if anyone else has recommendations or ideas.... I have been able to find exactly ONE brand of deodorant that is not also an anti-perspirant and it doesn't work all that well (Tom's). So, am I stuck re-applying all the time? This stuff is expensive!

Summer's coming so the need is real! Lol what do you all use?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I just mentioned learning how to make this in another thread. Any recipes that don't feel like axle grease under my arm?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love this thread! lol For now, I think I'd stick to my tried and trusted, non-injury inducing, non-greasy, dull deodorant! :hide

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
After many attempts at making my own and buying several natural brands, both with and without baking soda, I had given up and gone back to Secret. I work in public schools which are over heated in the winter and not air conditioned in the warm months. I can't go without and I can't use something that doesn't work. I had rash after rash trying find a low enough level of baking soda. Three days ago I started using Schmidt's after seeing it on a Facebook page. So far so good. I got the Sensitive Skin unscented formula. No rash, no odor. It's been chilly here. We'll see how it does as we get into the hotter days at the end of the school year!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only had trouble with the baking soda rash with one batch. One thing I do to increase the deodorizing power- I infuse sage in the coconut oil before I add the soda and cornstarch

caboodleschicks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know you can use lime juice. It stings a little, but then goes away. There is also cornstarch. You just apply 'em and go. These work really good on me. I agree on the Dove. It's the only one that holds me over good, but can get really pricey.