Deodorant

Athene

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I make mine by double boiling coconut oil and some beeswax (for solidifying purposes) with cornstarch and baking soda. I usually also add some combination of tea tree oil, eucalyptus leaves, and/or lavender flowers (I strain plant matter our, obvs). I tried the old deo container bit, but it was finicky, so I just put mine in a Rubbermaid plastic bowl with a screw on lid and use my fingers to apply. It's a lot like making a giant lip balm.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the pit detox thing is either. I was reading one, and it says to scrub your pits with a natural bristle brush once a day for three days and to massage your lymph nodes. (wth?). Then it says you may experience itching. And that it's your body's reaction to getting rid of the toxins. Um... try not scraping the skin away with a brush???

I can see not using chemicals on your skin, but yikes.

JuJuBean

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a simple recipe that I use for deodorant

1/4C baking soda
1/4C cornstarch
5 T coconut oil

Baking soda can be replaced with arrowroot powder if its irritating. Essential oils are optional; some apprpriate for deodorant because of antimicrobial properties are bergamot, tea tree and lavender. I just keep this in a jar; it will be solid and liquid at different times because of the coconut oil. Extra virgin coconut oil is supposed to be really good for skin and has some anti-microbial properties of its own.

The "Crunchy Betty" blog details a few different deodorant recipes, fancier than this one, that don't contain alum.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Love me some Crunchy Betty! I can easily get sucked into that site and lose several hours at a time!!

CoxaSapien

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just wipe under my arms with a wet cloth and a little bit of Dr. Bronners if i've been sweating alot and make sure to clean well when i bathe. Its just like the no shampoo deal, it just takes a while to get used to it and after that its all good.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I'm going to attempt one with a very small amount of BS
Won't that defeat the purpose entirely? :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found a piece of Himalayan rock salt that was carved in the shape of a bar of soap at one of the health food stores here. It works great as a deodorant. I like it better than the deodorant crystals I had been using, but you cannot rub it on your skin since it's a natural rock and will make tiny cuts that burn! You wet it and rub between your hands then rub your hands where you want it.

I've been having issues with rashes again lately and not been able to get rid of it. I figured I'd try the salt in these spots too. Took care of that issue. I'm still in shock over that. I'll gladly use it every morning to never have that issue again.

Now I've decided I need to go get more so I can store enough for the rest of my life. :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Asked my husband if he'd try it on his hands twice a day since they are so bad. No answer from him which usually means he doesn't really want to.

Latest posts