Deodorant

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, so, I'm tired of paying for Dove, but I'm not willing to buy cheaper deodorants, because in the long run, they cost about the same, if not more, as Dove, because I have to apply them every few hours. SO.... I'm wondering, who here has tried making their own deodorant? I'm going to have to give it a shot, because I'm too cheap to buy more Dove if I can make a GOOD alternative for dirt cheap. I do have a sensitivity to baking soda though... Applying it even short term in one of my testing phase facial masks, my face BURNED. So, not even going to make that attempt in a deodorant for all day wear. I've also tried all natural roll-on deodorants, and even after a week of stinking, they still didn't work.
So, if anyone has any input or experience, please let me know! I'll be experimenting around here soon, so I'll post notes as well.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
After many attempts at making my own and buying several natural brands, both with and without baking soda, I had given up and gone back to Secret. I work in public schools which are over heated in the winter and not air conditioned in the warm months. I can't go without and I can't use something that doesn't work. I had rash after rash trying find a low enough level of baking soda. Three days ago I started using Schmidt's after seeing it on a Facebook page. So far so good. I got the Sensitive Skin unscented formula. No rash, no odor. It's been chilly here. We'll see how it does as we get into the hotter days at the end of the school year!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The crystal can be made with Alum... I've thought about making them, but honestly, the deodorants that were based off of this ingredient didn't work very well for me. I'd start to stink again in a few short hours. I used it for awhile for my body to adjust, and I still had to constantly apply it. :/ Maybe using the rock itself instead of a liquidy roll-on would work for a little longer though.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, now I have a mental picture of someone rubbing a light bulb on their pits! :lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love this thread! lol For now, I think I'd stick to my tried and trusted, non-injury inducing, non-greasy, dull deodorant! :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, no idea about making your own--I just use a crystal deoderant, the small ones last me about 2-3 years (or more if I don't drop and break one!) and they only cost about $4 each.

You can re-apply throughout the day if you need it, but the real secret to not stinking is to wash often, especially if you sweat a lot.

If you are constantly on the go, you can get a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and use that throughout the day to kill germs rather than washing, then reapply your natural deoderant.

It does take time for your body to get used to you not blocking all of your pores with that pasty white anti-perspirant. Anti-perspirant actually works against your body's natural way of cooling itself (sweating) and your body works harder to produce sweat if you block those ducts.

Natural deoderant works by killing the germs, rather than blocking your sweat ducts, so you will still sweat. But your body will be a lot healthier :)

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been using the crystal for the last 3 years and I love it. I have stopped stinking like I did.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use an even mixture of corn starch and baking soda then mix in a little of my favorite talc powder for the pretty smell. It works great for me.
Nancy

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
The crystal can be made with Alum... I've thought about making them, but honestly, the deodorants that were based off of this ingredient didn't work very well for me. I'd start to stink again in a few short hours. I used it for awhile for my body to adjust, and I still had to constantly apply it. :/ Maybe using the rock itself instead of a liquidy roll-on would work for a little longer though.
I've never used the liquid roll-on, by my 16 yo daughter has tried it and it didn't work at all for her. She now has a crystal as well and says it works just fine. So that may be something to try anyway :)