Depression/Anxiety

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yeah, I am not an anti-med type, but if people are eating a healthy (low carb) diet, it can eliminate the need for meds SOME TIMES or make the ones you are taking work better.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE MEDS IF YOU NEED THEM!!!!

Also.... DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE SO COMPLETELY PSYCHOTIC YOU HAVE TO BE HAULED AWAY IN A WHITE COAT THAT TIES IN THE BACK BEFORE YOU START THEM!!!!!

MAJOR peeve of mine.

It isn't your fault if you have brain cooties. It IS your fault if you do not at least try to manage them. Sure there are times you can't stop the cycle no matter what, but I have seen WAY too many cases where someone tried to ride the mania train and forgot to jump off before the train derailed and then left ME to pick up the mess. :p
hee hee :gig I love you WZ! Yup... I did the waiting too long to get started on a medication. It is one of those that you have to start on a very low dose. I ended up in the hospital before I could get up to an effective dose. *sigh* 2010 was such a good year. :sarcasm: Also, after my big experiment with diet and self-care I found I could be stable on a lower dose of medication. Then I got the bright idea to go off my medication. and then spent 6 weeks of depression, suicidality, and sitting on the couch ALL day without doing anything at all. That was a fun summer. :/

Self-care (diet, exercise, routine, schedule, light therapy, dark therapy, talk therapy, exercise, community, etc) can make a significant difference in mental health (for everyone) and can help people with brain cooties be on lower doses of medication. For people with "normal" depression, it will fix then up pretty quickly.

One comment about meds and diet - you can kill yourself by taking certain supplements (5-HTP for example) while taking SSRI's. You can cause medication toxicity by a high-fat diet with some medications (like lithium). Talk to your Dr. to make sure a natural remedy or diet is not going to hurt you!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, I'm diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety. 150 mg of zoloft daily and 1 mg of clonazepam (GREAT STUFF!) daily - and my dosage probably should go up. Which is why I was asking about supplements to see what I could add/take to maybe at least keep the dosage the same if not maybe come down at some point. With all the holiday hectic-ness, I haven't had the chance to schedule a dr's appt, but I will on Monday.

And I've never been hauled away in a white coat that ties in the back, but I probably SHOULD have been at least twice ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
zoloft + st johns wort = potentially fatal interaction
zoloft + 5-HTP = potentially fatal interaction
5-HTP + st johns wort = potentially fatal interaction
clonazepam + valerian root = moderate drug interaction
zoloft + valerian root = moderate drug interaction
st johns wort interacts with the following foods which should be avoided when taking st johns wort:

"These foods include cheese (particularly strong, aged or processed cheeses), sour cream, wine (particularly red wine), champagne, beer, pickled herring, anchovies, caviar, shrimp paste, liver (particularly chicken liver), dry sausage, figs, raisins, bananas, avocados, chocolate, soy sauce, bean curd, yogurt, papaya products, meat tenderizers, fava beans, protein extracts, and dietary supplements. Caffeine may also precipitate hypertensive crisis so its intake should be minimized as well."

Natural remedies are not necessarily SAFE. Please do your homework, talk to your Dr. before starting any home remedies. You can literally kill yourself with this stuff!

You have not maxxed out doses on either zoloft or klonopin (clonazepam), so if it's not workingcget the changes you need first. At the end of the day, if you don't take care of yourself first, you can take care of anything. Sure, being medicated does not seem very SS. But if I can't get off the couch, or leave the house, or am too overwhelmed by the process of heating up leftovers in the microwave, then I can't do ANYTHING SS.

There is one thing that helps me use MUCH less clonazepam/klonopin. Deep pressure therapy. It's usually associated with autism, but works beautifully for anxiety as well. There are several ways to apply it, from wrapping yourself in a tight blanket burrito, to getting into a small space and pushing against the walls, to having a person or animal lay on you. The next time I go to the dentist I'm gonna ask them to leave the lead xray blanket on me. (Maybe and extra one too). The pressure is so soothing. I have a service dog and one of the primary things I need is the deep pressure therapy - particularly in order to leave the house (yard) or run errands.

I'm rambling... but I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1) Don't feel guilty for taking medication. Don't feel that you are less SS because of it.

2) Be careful with supplements (FWIW, D3, B-complex and fish oils do not interact with your meds) I think the best drug interaction checker is on drugs.com

3) Definitely pursue activites/therapies/self-care which MIGHT help you feel better on lower doses.

And kudos because it's hard to stand up and say "Hey, I'm broken!" :frow

:hugs

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
zoloft + st johns wort = potentially fatal interaction
zoloft + 5-HTP = potentially fatal interaction
5-HTP + st johns wort = potentially fatal interaction
clonazepam + valerian root = moderate drug interaction
zoloft + valerian root = moderate drug interaction
st johns wort interacts with the following foods which should be avoided when taking st johns wort:

"These foods include cheese (particularly strong, aged or processed cheeses), sour cream, wine (particularly red wine), champagne, beer, pickled herring, anchovies, caviar, shrimp paste, liver (particularly chicken liver), dry sausage, figs, raisins, bananas, avocados, chocolate, soy sauce, bean curd, yogurt, papaya products, meat tenderizers, fava beans, protein extracts, and dietary supplements. Caffeine may also precipitate hypertensive crisis so its intake should be minimized as well."

Natural remedies are not necessarily SAFE. Please do your homework, talk to your Dr. before starting any home remedies. You can literally kill yourself with this stuff!

Thanks for sharing all of that!

You have not maxxed out doses on either zoloft or klonopin (clonazepam), so if it's not workingcget the changes you need first. At the end of the day, if you don't take care of yourself first, you can take care of anything. Sure, being medicated does not seem very SS. But if I can't get off the couch, or leave the house, or am too overwhelmed by the process of heating up leftovers in the microwave, then I can't do ANYTHING SS.

Yeah - that's one of the clues I need to do something; living on the sofa, and "knowing" I need to get up and do something, but just not being able to :(

There is one thing that helps me use MUCH less clonazepam/klonopin. Deep pressure therapy. It's usually associated with autism, but works beautifully for anxiety as well. There are several ways to apply it, from wrapping yourself in a tight blanket burrito, to getting into a small space and pushing against the walls, to having a person or animal lay on you. The next time I go to the dentist I'm gonna ask them to leave the lead xray blanket on me. (Maybe and extra one too). The pressure is so soothing. I have a service dog and one of the primary things I need is the deep pressure therapy - particularly in order to leave the house (yard) or run errands.

I didn't know such a thing existed, but that explains a lot! I burrow under the blankets, like to be surrounded by pillows, lay against the back of the sofa or wall, and come to think of it, that lead x-ray blanket IS kinda soothing ...

I'm rambling... but I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1) Don't feel guilty for taking medication. Don't feel that you are less SS because of it.

2) Be careful with supplements (FWIW, D3, B-complex and fish oils do not interact with your meds) I think the best drug interaction checker is on drugs.com

3) Definitely pursue activites/therapies/self-care which MIGHT help you feel better on lower doses.

And kudos because it's hard to stand up and say "Hey, I'm broken!" :frow

:hugs
thanks again for your help and input :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm not big on St John's Wort because of what it does to dairy :D

Curdles it right in your tummy. Ew. I cannot go long enough without dairy to do it.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just want to mention, if you are ever prescribed xanax for anxiety, be VERY CAREFUL about taking it. I've seen a remarkable number of patients lately who have a really rough time stopping it, even after a just taking it for a short amount of time. They've been complaining of tremors as they try to cut back.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, Chipmunk. I've been on xanax before, for only about a week. The one time I've been H-I-G-H-E-R than the proverbial kite! I was definitely Loopy LuLu! I'll stick with my Klonopin - makes me calmer, shuts my brain up at bedtime, and in general makes me a better person....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have taken low doses of Xanax for years and it can be a lifesaver for people with Meniere's disease. I would probably not be here without it. It makes the disease more tolerable and it is an intolerable condition, so it is an important medication in my case. I take a very low dose however. I noted while I worked for a veterinarian that my dose is 1/4 of what they were prescribing for a dog! (I take .25-mg, 1/2 tab to one tab 1-2 times daily).

It is anti-anxiety and Meniere's disease is very much aggravated by stress is why they think it works. It is not given to me for depression or anxiety per se, but it helps with those along with my (minor) panic attacks.

I have allergies to many plants so have always been hesitant to try herbal medications. At one point I tried something that was supposed to "stimulate the immune system" and actually lost my hearing on one side for a few days afterward. My doctors told me that I should never mix herbal medications with prescribed ones because just like Tortoise said, they are real medicines with drug interactions. They also warned me against echinachea which is so common in herbal medications now. They don't WANT my immune system stimulated, I have an auto-immune disease and my immune system is too active, and those flowers are full of pollen, which I am allergic to. Same with chamomile. Full of pollen.

The issue of depression seems like it should be dealt with (more in depth) by a professional such as a doctor rather than on a self sufficient forum. I don't think this is an area to take care of one's own needs. Depressed people can be suicidal, it is best they get help from live folks, not computer friends. It is nice we can be supportive of one another of course, but we should be just one part of the support network. :hugs

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good point, I agree. Bethanial, I'm glad we can be part of your support system! I know this group has been a BIG part of mine for the last year and a half. It's mighty nice to have like-minded folks to turn to. :hugs (group hug to all y'all out there!)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Look into food related isues. I recently found that caffeine in any ammount, or too high ammounts of sodium, triggered panic and anxiety in me. I quit caffeine and lowered salt. we were already MSG free due to DD13 having bad reactions to it, so that one wasn't it. Do an elimination diet and see if it could be the cause. My Doc wanted to put me on meds, because my BP was slightly high(due to chronic attakcs!)I refused, and fixed it myself. I feel much much better and as a bonus, my new diet lost me some extra unneeded pounds :) I actually WANTED to get up off the couch and do things!

Anyway. It's worth a shot. :hu