Depression/Anxiety

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Caffiene is a huge problem for people with mood and/or anxiety disorders. By now I forget that it doesn't necessarily go without saying.

A 20 oz caffienated soda can affect me badly that I'd be hospitalized.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Caffeine?!? REALLY?!? :hit I did have a 3+ Coca-Cola/per day habit, but I've quit that one (twice, actually!). I'll have a Coke now maybe 2-3 times a week (just don't keep it in the house ;) ). But I DO have a 16? 20? oz BIG mug of coffee every morning. I haven't noticed the caffeine affecting me, except that this last time I cut out so many Cokes, I can't have one after about 4 pm, or I'll be up all night :/

And I honestly never expected this thread to get this big! Y'all truly are amazing, and I'm glad I "know" ya :hugs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My advice - wean off caffiene slowly to spare yourself from the infamous caffiene headache. :) I think you've got one BIG, safe change that has potential for big results. That's good news. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Caffeine makes me SOOO sluggish now if I get regular tea instead of decaf. I feel like crap the rest of the day, and anxious feeling starts coming back. Nevermind how much you usually take in, I was raised on sweet tea, sodas, etc. and never had issues until just a few years ago. Eliminating it DOES help if not completely wipe out the problem altogether. I don't miss it. AT.ALL. I hope getting off it works as well for you too :hugs Panic/anxiety sucks to live with!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! Guess I'll get me some decaf coffee, and start mixing my ground 1/2 and 1/2...

(Does this mean you no longer eat chocolate?)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
OH I almost forgot, another thing that helped me IMMENSELY was making sure I got enough sleep. For whatever reason my body tends to REQUIRE about 7-8 hours a night, so don't feel bad if you think you need to sleep in an hour or so!!! Take a nap during the day if you can too. It helps the body heal, and STAY healthy. Find a way. I had to, and still sleep a bit longer in the mornings than I used to. I quit staying up so late too, night shift was bad for me. Try to schedule plenty of time to sleep. Getting off caffeine actually helps that too.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Wow! Guess I'll get me some decaf coffee, and start mixing my ground 1/2 and 1/2...

(Does this mean you no longer eat chocolate?)
I splurge occasionally. NOT eating chocolate is forbidden. ;) I usually only have one of those little snack size bars a few times a week, and not one that is solid chocolate. I have to have my chocolate fix, but strictly minimize it. Decaf tea has miniscule ammounts of caffeine, but tiny ammounts apparently don't make me crazy. You can't avoid caffeine COMPLETELY...er well I can't, but minimizing it will make a HUGE difference. i avoid everything with large ammounts of caffeine like the plague though!!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's good to know! Chocolate is safe :bow

Now that I think of it, my sis has something with her heart (mitro-valve prolapse) and she has to (try to) avoid ALL stimulants. Did you know cheddar and parmesan (all aged cheeses) are stimulants? I think I'd really go nuts if I couldn't have my cheese! She uses a Colby/Jack, b/c it's aged the least.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
That's good to know! Chocolate is safe :bow

Now that I think of it, my sis has something with her heart (mitro-valve prolapse) and she has to (try to) avoid ALL stimulants. Did you know cheddar and parmesan (all aged cheeses) are stimulants? I think I'd really go nuts if I couldn't have my cheese! She uses a Colby/Jack, b/c it's aged the least.
Safe in small doses ;)

That must be horrible to not be able to have certain cheeses!!! I could go for Colby/Jack though if that was all I could have. That stuff is gooood :drool

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I missed your comment on sleep. I, too, require 8+ hours of sleep (9 or 10 is better) a night, and love a nap when I can get it! My problem lately (why I think I need to increase dosage) is I'll lay in bed many nights and toss and turn until 3 or 4 in the morning b/c I can't get my head to SHUT UP. I hate carrying on those conversations with myself (the what-ifs, the "I need to get all of this done," even daydreaming :/ ); praying helps a little, but it's still noise in my head when all I want to do is sleep!

Latest posts