Do you adore beans? :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Our family is 4th generation in the same town. I have tried twice to move elsewhere, but something always pulled me back, most predominantly the need to care for my parents. I like it here in the San Joaquin Valley, but I have tasted the beach and the wilds of Tulsa...and I have to say it's getting hard to suppress the gypsy.

DianeB said:
I understand. I absolutely love California and never plan on leaving. This recession and our state's budget crisis has many of my friends leaving like rats jumping ship before it sinks. I don't think it is that bad here. Things are beginning to look up while the recession is just starting to hit other place full force.

Besides, who wants to live in the snow and have only a three month garden season. I hate the cold and have worked hard to avoid it.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Born on Long Island (NY)lived there 40 some years,moved to Carolinas then Fla then AZ and now Hawaii. EUREKA.......I have found my place.
We make do or do without it won't kill us and so it should make us stronger............ Ok anyone have those recipes we talked about at the beginning of the blog? lol

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love this one! I've got black beans cooked, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic and peppers on the front porch and chickens in the freezer, so we will be having this one soon. Maybe with cranberry-pumpkin muffins and fresh homemade butter :p

African Chicken-Peanut Soupvery good, especially left over!
1 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
cup chopped onion
cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
teaspoon cumin
8 cups chicken broth
15 ounces black beans, drained
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add sweet potato, onion, garlic and jalapeno. Saut 5 min. Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 10 min. Add peanut butter, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 min.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love beans. Dh and the kids, not so much :(.
I sneak them into stuff. I started adding a cup or so of refried beans into taco meat and hamburger patties. It stretches the meat and gives extra nutrition. The kids have no idea :p

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just a littly FYI if you want to cut down on the bloated feeling that a wonderful pot of beans can give you sometimes add dried savory or if you do not have that some powered ginger. I don't know why it works but it does.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Forgot to say that to me there is nothing better than brown beans on cornbread with chow chow on top. YUM. It is a comfort food for me.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It is a type of relish made with cabbage, green tomatoes, sweet red peppers, pickling spices, vinegar and sugar. I think it has other names but that is what my grandma called it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Grandma Goldie said:
It is a type of relish made with cabbage, green tomatoes, sweet red peppers, pickling spices, vinegar and sugar. I think it has other names but that is what my grandma called it.
Welcome Grandma Goldie! Being a new member, you may not know that there is an unwritten rule:

Thou Shalt Not Describe Wonderful Foods Without Including Recipe! ;) So, chow-chow? I have ALL the ingredients!!

Latest posts