Do you adore beans? :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Chinese-style fried greenbeans (homemade version of what Eastern US chinese restaurants tend to list as 'green beans with garlic sauce')

This works best with fairly tender beans - if they are older or woodier or stringier, steam or blanch *very briefly* first so they don't take so darn long to cook)

Heat wok or other pan til pretty hot; add a generous amount of oil. Briefly fry as much minced garlic as you wish (I like a *lot*) and some ginger slices, also dried hot peppers if you wish. Before garlic starts to brown, toss in the greenbeans -- make sure they are quite dry if you blanched them, or they'll spatter all over!. Stirfry til a taste test indicates they are cooked through, this can be 5-10 minutes or more. They will have started to brown and wrinkle up a bit but this IMO is part of the appeal of the dish. Serve *immediately*, it doesn't hold well.

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
xpc--We'll convert you yet! You're the perfect candidate for beans--living alone. No health insurance--those beans are great for your entire body! No public employment--so eat away without social consequences :D

ETA: Pat--My 2 favorite foods in Asian cooking are that wonderful broccoli and the beans you have described above.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
xpc--We'll convert you yet! You're the perfect candidate for beans--living alone. No health insurance--those beans are great for your entire body! No public employment--so eat away without social consequences :D

ETA: Pat--My 2 favorite foods in Asian cooking are that wonderful broccoli and the beans you have described above.
:lol: Yes, xpc- its one of great things about living alone-you can eat all the beans you want! I get my beans either fresh or in the bean aisle at the store. The big bags are pretty cheap and store well.And I substitute cooked ones for the canned ones in recipes. I do have some canned ones set aside for when I am in a hurry.
My dogs love beans.. I try to give them the beans early in the day so they can get them out of their system before I bring them in...they seem to think they are natural air refreshener and want to share with me..:sick

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I seem to have trouble re hydrating dried beans.

My last batch of black bean, I soaked for two full days then cooked on the stove for at least 6 hours....they still had a bite to them :(

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Does anybody have a recipe for " foul madammas " ? :drool I used to get in a restaraunt in Fla. and I miss it. It's fava beans, with lots of lemon and garlic, but I don't know what else goes in. :drool

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Dace said:

My last batch of black bean, I soaked for two full days then cooked on the stove for at least 6 hours....they still had a bite to them :(
The last batch of black beans I made I was in a hurry..after rinsing and putting in pot,( I covered them with water an inch over) bring them to a boil for at least 4-5 minutes, then cover and cook on at least medium(electric stove) for about 1 1/2 to two hrs.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dace said:

If you put, I think I have this right, salt or acid in the cooking water for the beans (except in the last half hour or so) it can make them tough and never really finish softening, is it possible that was the problem?

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I love beans, too!
I enjoy the bean taste and eat them plain most of the time. Cooked first, of course!

I think I've posted this before but I'm too lazy to look:

Texas Butterbean Bake

1/2lb ground beef
1-2 onions, chopped
1 can butterbeans, drained
1 can tomato paste, or better- 1 to 1 1/2 c tomato sauce
1/4 tsp dried ground mustard
1/8 tsp each thyme and oregano
salt and pepper
few splashes worchestershire sauce
brown sugar-optional

Brown meat and onions.
In casserole dish gently mix meat mixture with beans.
Mix in paste, seasonings. Thin with chicken broth or water. (Tomato sauce usually is thin enough.)
Bake 45-60 min in 350 oven. It should be just moist, not watery.