Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving??

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wondering how many of you do actually celebrate Thanksgiving? My DH and I have been "talking" about Thursday and dinner, myself for me it is just another day. For him, its all about food. It is only us and the kids, no relatives. I just want to watch football and eat whatever I decide to cook. What are your plans??? :pop

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We celebrate it by gathering as a family and offering thanks to the Lord for our food, our good health and for everything else God provides for us....and then we eat a lot of food that gives us gas, we play cards and board games or watch a movie together.

Yep...I guess you could say we celebrate it! :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I celebrate food sales and the chance to cook for a group.

As a holiday? Not really.

But I don't do any holiday other than Halloween.

I don't even do birthdays.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This will be the first year in decades that I haven't cooked Thanksgiving dinner. As the only daughter I ended up being "mother's helper" a lot (my brothers were too, but to a lesser degree; they peeled potatoes, I cooked and mashed them :lol:), and as she got older I did more. After she died I became the "matriarch" - how did that happen? I don't even have kids - and it was often down to me to organize the dinner. Not that I mind. Thanksgiving dinner is the easiest meal of the year IMO; its always more or less the same, and, for me, the hardest part of cooking is planning what to cook. That isn't an issue with Thanksgiving. Obvious question: where are the sisters-in-law? Eldest brother married outside this country (as did I), and his wife, though an excellent cook, has never really mastered "American" cooking. Middle brother never married, but is a really good cook himself, but lives across the country. Youngest brother and wife, as often as not, are at her family's dinner, but that just means that we get them more often at Christmas. This year none of them will be in Oregon, so we two are on our own. Just to be different we'll have roast beef and Yorkshire pudding this year ... but I will most likely make a pumpkin pie, just because I like it :lol: I really love Thanksgiving - its all about getting together with people one loves, eating good food, enjoying each other's company - no worrying about presents, and no religious overtones if one doesn't want them.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess that is the biggest issue for me,..relatives. Every Thanksgiving it is ALWAYS arguing and bickering. Nobody knows how to get along. I have pretty much washed my hands of all holidays for that reason. We have no relatives around this year, but all the same, the peace and quiet and no big to do will be nice for once.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We do. We prepare a nice meal and give thanks for the blessings that we have received throughout the year. We don't turn on the TV.

Since moving to Arkansas, we only have a few members of our extended family living in the general area, so our gatherings are much smaller.

This year it will be only my wife and myself for Thanksgiving so we will cook a small meal. No turkey, but we will bake a chicken and have cucuzza casserole with shrimp, Dirty Rice, and home made rolls.

It looks like Christmas will be just us two again, so we have made arrangements with our church to use their facilities. We will be fixing a traditional meal and having activities, for some of the local seniors that have no family near. We have told our local relatives that, should their plans change, they are welcome to come and help us serve and fellowship with the seniors.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The only relatives that I allow in my home are a joy to have here! We have so much fun that we never want it to end! I love to hear them laughing and making fun of each other....and I'm right in there doing the same.

I LOVE the holidays for that reason! I have made a practice of shedding the bad things~evil family members~ in life and embracing only the good things~good family members~ when it is possible to do so....makes life so much more worth living.

You actually CAN divorce your family if you move far enough away! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I guess that is the biggest issue for me,..relatives. Every Thanksgiving it is ALWAYS arguing and bickering. Nobody knows how to get along. I have pretty much washed my hands of all holidays for that reason. We have no relatives around this year, but all the same, the peace and quiet and no big to do will be nice for once.
I started HOSTING Thanksgiving dinner when I was about 19 for the same reason. Nobody could get along!!

When I have it at my house I pick who is around the table. We have had close family and LOTS of just friends for many years. It is a day of cooking, eating and shared closeness with those we care most about, as well as a day of thanking GOD who provided it all. :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Beekissed... I grounded mine. If my mom was mean, I told her she couldn't visit for x amount of time.

You want me to parent, fine, you're grounded. No visiting.

I am very strict and harsh and the whole family does what I say or they can live without me. I'm pretty amazing. They all want me enough to compromise with me. ie: Abi's way.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We used to have family come down and ruin our day, but now it is just me, hubby and our youngest son. Since dad got a divorce from wife #3 and moved to Florida, my thanksgivings have been so peaceful :D

We spend our day in our jammies eating good food, playing games and watching football. It's so nice for hubby and I to be home together and not running around and working for one day!