Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving??

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Today I made up my cauliflower bake. I will pop it in the oven tomorrow. Same with the stuffing. I steamed the squash so far. letting it cool now before I cube it up and mix in the rest of the stuffing ingredients.

Tonight I make the cheese cake and bake the turkey.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I am wondering how many of you do actually celebrate Thanksgiving? My DH and I have been "talking" about Thursday and dinner, myself for me it is just another day. For him, its all about food. It is only us and the kids, no relatives. I just want to watch football and eat whatever I decide to cook. What are your plans??? :pop
You all have had me thinking the last few days about that word celebrate.

Thinking out loud here: What does it mean to celebrate? Is celebrate the same as observe when it comes to things like holidays?

So I guess I'll take the easy way out. What are my plans?
We are at my daughter's house in Wisconsin. My Thanksgiving week plans are to take care of that deer, deer always become a burden because I am so picky about getting rid of anything that can impart the gamey taste. Working on it off on on right now. Yes, I took a deer to my daughter's house. The meat was already off the bone and I gave some away before we left. It still almost filled up an ice chest.

My son-in-law will take care of Thanksgiving dinner. He doesn't like anyone helping him cook so I can very easily stay out of the way.

Tonight we will go see the new Harry Potter movie. Friday my wife and daughter will do the dreaded Black Friday. I will do not much of anything except for maybe work more on the deer. Jerky, sausage, etc.

In between times will be taken up with playing a few games like Settlers of Cataan and maybe watching movies. My wife and like to pause the movie at times and talk about it. Daughter and her husband like no commentary during the movie. We will spend a lot our time playing on our individual computers or gaming platforms. Lots of social interaction.

Monday we will go home so we don't have the traffic on Sunday.

That's what we are doing.

Thanksgiving when I was a kid was going to Grandma's house and partaking of the feast that she had prepared. Then all of us cousins, when the cousins were around, would go across the street to the high school and play.

As we grew and drifted apart my immediate family would sometimes be home for Thanksgiving or at another relatives house. As often as not it was just us wherever the Army had sent us. It was still the traditional meal; turkey or ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, rolls, another vegetable like green beans, homemade cranberry relish (my responsibility), maybe some dessert. We aren't much on desserts.

Now that my wife and I are empty nesters Thanksgiving might be at one of her sister's or if we are lucky at one of our kids. We have rarely spent a Thanksgiving alone but there have been a few.

Even though we attend church regulary we don't really show any more thanks than usual for Thanksgiving. It is a day off from work, when I'm working. It is a time to be with family. I suppose I could do without the big meal but it is part of the day.

Maybe I'm a Thanksgiving Day humbug, we give thanks continually during the year.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So did everyone have a happy Turkey Day? We had a fun chaotic event. Not quite fifty folks showed up for croquette and turkey dinner at the local beach park. Four turkeys, one ham, five pumpkin pies and we ran out of mashed potatoes real early on. Oh well, we had enough turkey and pumpkin pie to make up for it. We had folks from a sustainability forum from up the hill, we had some folks who raise sheep, we had some folks who do ham radio (different from the honey spiral cut ham folks), we had a few stray folks who just popped in from here and there and a good time was had by all. Next year we may get a bit more organized, it's almost a crime to run out of mashed potatoes. Last year we had a mix up on who was going to bring the sweet potatoes and ended up with none. Sigh! Potatoes are so difficult!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Our families are out of state and hubby didn't feel " like making a big deal out of it". The apartment building was cooking for everybody that wanted to come. So we had what we wanted and came home to a ( almost ) clean kitchen.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanksgiving was quiet here. Just the kids and DH and of course myself. We just had some chicken casserole and fixins, nothing fancy. DD and I watched the dog show and the parade and DS and DH both worked on our pole shed most of the day. Just another day,....:D It was the most peaceful Thanksgiving I have had in years. :clap