Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving??

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
HEY! I'm coming down to ruin the day AFTER!!!!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
We used to have family come down and ruin our day, but now it is just me, hubby and our youngest son. Since dad got a divorce from wife #3 and moved to Florida, my thanksgivings have been so peaceful :D

We spend our day in our jammies eating good food, playing games and watching football. It's so nice for hubby and I to be home together and not running around and working for one day!
Sounds WONDERFUL! That is what I am looking for,..PEACE.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No. I have no real care for the holiday personally, it means nothing to me. I hate thanksgiving food, I hate that I have the day off but cant go anywhere because everything is closed.

So we take pony to the beach and eat fast food. Thats about as celebratory as it gets :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit that I don't look for "Peace" at any family event or holiday. It (and this includes Thanksgiving) is usually pretty hectic, getting things organized, and the food in the oven on time and out of the oven on time and all together. And then having family and friends about, whom I perhaps haven't seen for awhile - no, it isn't peaceful. But it is tremendous fun, and I enjoy it immensely. The next day I find that the kitchen is still a mess, and there are leftovers to deal with, and a certain letdown because the guests aren't there anymore (or, more thoughts about the guests that are still there), but, you know, somehow it all gets cleaned up, or eaten, or put in the freezer, and the guests are entertained, and they help with what needs doing, and eventually the whole thing is just another Thanksgiving (or whatever) gone by. And then ... then I have some peace, and some really good memories. And next year, or the year after, or ten years from now, there will be some of those beloved relatives and friends who won't be here anymore, and these memories will be even more important.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
If you can't eat them, don't join 'em.
Hmmph.

I admit to liking the food, mostly. And I feel that I give thanks quite often, so a special day for it, though welcomed I guess, is nothing too amazing.

Bee, I'm heading to your place. What do you want me to bring?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We always have some type of Thanksgiving dinner. If we aren't living near any family, we invite others over who can't be near family.

This year I am singing in an interfaith choir for our community's interfaith Thanksgiving celebration. Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, Muslims, Protestants, Lutherans, Hindu, Bahai, Greek and Russian Orthodox, maybe more! All getting together to perform music and celebrate a day of thanks. It's tomorrow night and I am really excited.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a different schedule every year. This year we are staying home and won't see family. But we have seen everybody in the last week or so anyway, so it's not a big deal. Our parents and sibs are easygoing and we all do our own thing so we don't feel pulled in 15 directions on holidays.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since my kids have grown up, and moved away, our Thanksgiving is alot smaller than I would like it to be. This year, me and hubby, one son with his wife and 2 kids, and the "stepdad" MIGHT be here. I did ask another couple to come, but not sure if they will be here or not. :/
I love all the prepping and bakeing. My DIL usually comes over the night before, helps with the pies and such, spends the night and we bond. Then the next morning we get up, I go care for the animals, while she is wakeing up. LOL Then together, her and I get it all going. By the time everyone gets here, the table is set..the food is almost finished..and the aroma in the house is heavenly. Hubby usually sits in front of the TV watching the parade...or football. Depends on how many and what age kids are here. LOL
After we all eat..and get it somewhat cleaned up...we all go outside and some throw a football..some of us go for a walk in the woods. Evening time, we all come together for pie and coffee...and get the Christmas tree out and get it set up. Its a family tradition from many years back...and I plan to keep it that way. I just wish my kids were all here...alive, and younger again. Oh the memories.....

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad passed away 6 months ago, so this year is gonna be a tough one. My Grandfather (mom's dad) also passed away a couple months ago. I'd been talking about spending Thanksgiving with some very good friends of mine (Mama was invited, of course), but she's decided she wants to have quiet this year - she'll go to the assisted living facility and spend the day with her mother, so me and munchkin have been "ordered" to disappear.

So yes, I'm going to Thank God for that which I am thankful, and enjoy some great food. Never know when what it is we're thankful for will suddenly be snatched away....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Justus I wish I lived closer. Your house and family day sounds right up my alley. And I have 3 little ones who would love to help you with the animals.

I love to cook. When we first moved to San Diego and our house was built I had dinner here because I had the room. Then Mil finished her house and the party moved over there. It's never quite my style. Nor flavor. So usually the weekend after I do a whole meal for my family. The girls like to use the china and silver and I make dinner according to MY family traditions. Over all both days are good.

My family has all started on their own Thanksgivings. Too many people to have everyone all in one spot. Though it sure would be fun.

g