Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving??

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Justus I wish I lived closer. Your house and family day sounds right up my alley. And I have 3 little ones who would love to help you with the animals.

I love to cook. When we first moved to San Diego and our house was built I had dinner here because I had the room. Then Mil finished her house and the party moved over there. It's never quite my style. Nor flavor. So usually the weekend after I do a whole meal for my family. The girls like to use the china and silver and I make dinner according to MY family traditions. Over all both days are good.

My family has all started on their own Thanksgivings. Too many people to have everyone all in one spot. Though it sure would be fun.

g
Gina.....We would LOVE to have you ALL here. The more the merrier....I say! This year I thought I would ":fancy it up a bit" and bought chargers! Yeah, I know..fancy plates to hold your plate....LOL We have never used them, and I got them for $1.00 a piece, NEW! So....fany chargers...fancy napkins...and I am makeing the deco out of the woods. " Im a little bit country, im a little bit rock-n-roll." LOL

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
We always have some type of Thanksgiving dinner. If we aren't living near any family, we invite others over who can't be near family.

This year I am singing in an interfaith choir for our community's interfaith Thanksgiving celebration. Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, Muslims, Protestants, Lutherans, Hindu, Bahai, Greek and Russian Orthodox, maybe more! All getting together to perform music and celebrate a day of thanks. It's tomorrow night and I am really excited.
:thumbsup

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
We always have some type of Thanksgiving dinner. If we aren't living near any family, we invite others over who can't be near family.

This year I am singing in an interfaith choir for our community's interfaith Thanksgiving celebration. Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, Muslims, Protestants, Lutherans, Hindu, Bahai, Greek and Russian Orthodox, maybe more! All getting together to perform music and celebrate a day of thanks. It's tomorrow night and I am really excited.
That is AWESOME!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is a family get together basically.
Give thanks, good food, fun chat, everyone having a blast and we all get along great.

Olden days, alot more relatives, as we got older just our family cause we spread out over the states. Now that we are way older, lol, even my bros and their family sometimes can't make it down here. But its cool, everything changes.

T-day sets up the whole Christmas experience for us...opens the door to a wonderful month. T-day gives me that excitement of the holiday season starting.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ya a holiday at home this year. DHs parents always expect us to go to their house for the holidays. ANd I never get to go to holidays at my familys house. DH promised that we would switch every other year where we go for thanksgiving. But my family now moved over the mountains, its snowy and we dont drive in snow. Cause we usually never get any where I live. We dont even own chains for the cars. Or have studded tires.

So since this year was supposed to be a visit with my family. Im staying home. Cooking turkey, stuffing, gravy and all the trimmings. It will be great to stay home and do things my way. Last year we had the in laws here. ANd MIL tried to boss me around on the way I made my thanksgiving dinner. Saying if I do it that way, it wont taste good. Well I eventually did it my way. And it tasted great. Thats the way I was raised, thats the way we do it.. LOL.. Later she admitted that it was a very nice dinner. But since it wasnt video taped. She will never admit to liking it. She always tries to tell me I dont know how to cook. Well if I dont know how to cook, then why does all of her family preferre my food to hers.. Hmmm..

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is THE shindig for the entire family. The family loves each other, so my cousins feel free home to bring home stray friends, acquaintances with nowhere else to go, girl/boyfriends, etc.

We have a TWO-day celebration. Tons of games, football, chit-chatting, nonstop eating, walks, sleeping, playing with the kiddos. It is incredible, and the entire family looks forward to it the entire year.

I know this sounds a bit rose-colored, but it's true! :)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love Thanksgiving. :)

Growing up, it was a huge family holiday. Everyone came to Grandma's house and she cooked for two days. Everyone brought food too, and I always got to help. When I was little, the rolls were my job, and I took it seriously. I loved being with family.

This year I'm going to be especially blessed. I'm finally near enough that I'm going to get to spend the holiday with my family once again. At least a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, and a couple of cousins, and at least three of my nieces and nephews. Over the years we've lost a lot of family members, many of them at far too young an age, and they will terribly missed. But there is something that feeds my very soul by being surrounded by those I love.

I always do something -- go to a church dinner, host a dinner for those away from their families, share dinner with families from church, or at least make the traditional spread (I love the food too!) for my own little family. But the holiday is always better when shared and I always enjoy it.

The only "family squabble" I've ever been involved in was a doozie -- and it was my ex's female helper attacking me when I dropped off our child. Short-lived cuz I wasn't staying, and not MY family, so no big deal.

I'm with the previous poster who said I'm thankful every day anyway, but ... I guess it's nice to have a day set aside for it. Especially spent with loved ones, which are the thing I'm most thankful for on this earth anyway. :)

I'm really looking forward to it. Baking my pies today and tomorrow. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BlackbirdIf you can't eat them, don't join 'em.
Hmmph.

I admit to liking the food, mostly. And I feel that I give thanks quite often, so a special day for it, though welcomed I guess, is nothing too amazing.

Bee, I'm heading to your place. What do you want me to bring?
Just your good self, my boy, just yourself! We'd love to have you!

Can you play Spades?? It's my favorite and we are cutthroat at that game!!! :D

And Scrabble.....love de Scrabblin'!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ooh, I do love some Scrabble!
You would have to teach me Spades... Do you know 'Peanuts'?