Do You Like Where Your At...?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
JRmom said:
I sounds like most of us are very happy right where we're at...and that's pretty cool. "Bloom where you're planted" - I like that!
There is another aspect to "Bloom where you are planted." My hubby really likes the extreme south western part of Kansas - sand sage prairie. We have visited there many times and the last time HE :ep (Mr. StayPUT) was starting to look at property prices! :th

As much as I want to get out of this BIG STINKY city, I had to put his brakes on. Western Kansas is much much dryer than where I have always lived and the soil is very sandy. I don't know how to "grow" in a dry sandy climate and my gardening is a MUST for a new homestead. I need a new home with more rain, green grass and good soil. Then I can make things bloom.

For me the same goes for extreme changes in planting zones. I don't think I would be happy in a zone 4 or a zone 8. :hu

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Na I'm moving.

:p
Hey, I said most of us sound happy... :D I would want out of CA too! But I still want to visit some day...I'd like to take a motor home trip up the entire coast.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes it is breath taking. We took our RV as far north as Crescent City a few years back. Drove the Redwood Hwy etc. I have tried to do RV vacations with my family for the past 4 years. I really wanted to see the US for just this reason. Deciding which state I like best.

If you look at a US map and follow just above the 35 deg latitude line straight across you will see what I mean. Central CA., Co. Southern Ut. and into Mo. These are all states I have liked. 4 seasons, not too cold, land still available etc...

Last year we drove Hwy 40 all the way to Mo. It gave us a chance to at least see some of the southern states. Tx, New Mexico.

I like Mo. Yes I know all states have their issues. But in terms of cost, land available, soil, water and woods. Mo can hold its own. We also have family there.

When and if I sell this house in Ca my intentions will be to buy a farm in Mo. Pay cash and start my homestead. I just hope I can do it before I get to old.

:hu

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm happy in Ohio. Even though we can get some bad/long winters, our weather doesn't seem to be as extreme as other places. No tornado alley, no major earthquakes or on a major fault line, no hurricanes, no volcanos, even the snow fall isn't as bad as other places. Not to mention that all my family is here.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love Maine too... but I'm a next door neighbour in New Brunswick Canada. Our climate here is similar to Maine and if you are creative you can harvest food from your yard all year round with simple cold frames and row covers.

Winter isn't that bad if you don't have to commute that far... I've got to drive 60 miles to work, whether there's snow on the road, and a blizzard raging or not. But I'm dreaming of becoming self sufficient enough that I can quit my job and stay home with our kids. There's nothing better than curling up with a fire raging in the woodstove and a mug of hot chocolate to watch the snow coming down outside. After several storms that dropped more than 2 feet of snow this winter I got tired of snow blowing the 200 feet of driveway... the snow in our yard was a foot over my head this winter.

The hills, forests, coastline, etc. are absolutely breathtaking and there are tons of places you can escape and not see any evidence of other human beings.

I like that you can buy a 75 acre farm with a house and barn for less than $100K... in lots of places that would just be a down payment on a condo :)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wisconsin, yes I love Wisconsin. It is a beautiful state, and I have finally come to terms with winter. Sledding, snowball fights, and winter walks are becoming some of my favorite activities.

Living in the city in Wisconsin, however, I could do without. When you are in the city, there are too many rules. I really hate people telling me what I can have in my yard (no chickens?! Ha, we showed them! :plbb ). I don't like people being in my business, and as soon as we have enough saved up, we are moving out to the country.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've only lived in 4 places in my life, and loved them all. I grew up on the central California coast, and lived there, or within 90 miles of there for the majority of my life. Many, many good things about that area - but unfortunately many other people think so too, and it is crowded and expensive. If I could afford it I might consider moving back, as there are parts that are still quite empty, and the climate is the best I have experienced. I lived in Ireland for 3 years as a teen, and loved it there, but can't see making such a major move this late in life. 3 years in Germany as well, and DH's family are still there; I could see living there again, though in the country rather than the city where we lived before. But again, a major move that we're not prepared to make. We now live in rural Oregon, and this will be where we stay. We like everything about where we are (except the lack of ethnic restaurants, but we can get around that :lol:). Politics (and religion) are unimportant factors in living here; we are in the minority on both counts, in this county, but many of our friends are not. Doesn't matter, there are other things to discuss ;).