Do you put sugar in your spaghetti sauce?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the carrot idea! I think I will try that. On a similar note, I have been getting a bunch of eggplants still and I usually cut one up and add it to the spaghetti sauce... it makes it stretch a ways.

It's very funny to me! Whether to do or do not. A grocery store deli near my office has hot lunches and their spaghetti is very sweet. But still good.

Cassandra

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
annmarie said:
I usually put a shredded carrot in my tomato sauce instead of sugar.
Never heard that one, but since I have one more batch of sauce to make, and a LOT of carrot still in the ground, I WILL be trying it.
Oh To answer the question - No sugar in my sauce. Green pepper, onion, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, and salt. Not necessarily in that order.

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Only brown sugar, and not very much in a huge batch.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
NEVER! Lots of garlic, onion, homegrown herbs, and maybe even a little hot pepper!

I like a little bite in my sauce!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I made some hotdog sauce once that was too "tomatoey" and called my mom in a panic, as this was for a big party. She says, "Add some brown sugar." I did and it came out perfect! One could add honey, maybe, and get the same result? I don't add to storebought, as I'm sure it has some already.

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I make mine from store bought canned tomato paste, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Throw in about one pound ground beef, Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley, don't remember what else), and 1-2 TBSP brown sugar. When I was preggers I got bad heart burn. The BS (hahaha) sure helped cut down on the acidity in the sauce, and my heart burn.

This year I'm going to try to make my own sauce, if the garden does well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I learned the shredded carrot trick from an Italian right off the boat! No sugar here. Carrots add more fiber, too. Today's tomatoes are so much lower in acid, there are cautions on canning them at home.

Someone else (another Italian!) puts a pinch of baking soda instead of salt if it is to acidic.

I also add shredded baby zuchinni in season.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I can not stand sugar in my speghetti sauce! My MIL is the only one I know that does it and I can taste a big difference!