Do you think it will ever come to food rationing?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks Morel,

To really get my feelings & view across on it I usually refer to the glaciers. There are different colors thru out them. The colors have been formed by them moving & when do they move? When they melt. So over the course of history how many times have they melted? Count the colored strips on them. Why do they melt the temps get warmer. Plain & simple. So no widespread global warming to panic about that is going to end our world. I just cringe when people say if we do nothing about it our world will collapse.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wait patiently...as soon as they find an "in" they will turn the global cooling sega into a world disaster as well...

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Very true, as I said when I was a kid they taught we would be living in a ice age now if theings were not done back in the 70's. Which is really funny, because there are more emission & pollutions controls in place nowadays & yet our environment is worse? Hmm? Sounds kind of fishy to me.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yes, climate constantly changes, on all various timescales.

But, it can cause widespread death and political upheaval and change human history. Look at the middle east (Tigris/Euprhates, and India, ok so india is not the middle east :p) of a few thousand yrs bc when rainfall patterns shifted and major rivers dried up; look at the 'little ice age' of 1550-1850; etc etc.

And as well, look at how many groups of species have been finished off by wholesale climate shifts, including but by no means limited to the Ice Ages (Pleistocene). Some of these were pretty abundant before things changed, too.

So just because it's always happened and always will, doesn't mean it can't cause severe, catastrophic problems to humans -- especially since we're now living in so many somewhat-borderline areas and in such high population densities everywhere, with such dependance on long-distance transport of food using eventually-limited oil supplies to fuel that transport.

(Btw there is good evidence that some historic/prehistoric climate shifts were pretty d*mn sudden indeed, so one probably shouldn't assume that whatever happens will necessarily be slow and gradual enough for us to adapt smoothly.)

Of course the next question is Can we really do anything intelligent about climate change :p I think the jury is completely out on that one, EXCEPT that the majority of solutions proposed 'to combat global warming' are pretty darn good sound ideas for lots of OTHER reasons too, so IMO would be a good idea to implement. (Possible exception: this buying carbon tradeoffs thing...)

Pat

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:hu Change is going to happen no matter what we do. It is just the course of nature.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I despise the global warming/cooling issue. Mankind is not going to change the climate to destruction....mother nature and the universe is going to do that when she wants, how she wants. We might as well worry about cleaning up the air we breathe, clean up the water we drink, quit polluting everything we have down here on earth.....maybe keep some land to protect the 1000s of species being extinct every year......

there are great innovative ideas out there to combat warming/cooling issues but to me any of those "good fixes" are making more of an impact on the good old earth down here where I am....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Of course the next question is Can we really do anything intelligent about climate change :p I think the jury is completely out on that one, EXCEPT that the majority of solutions proposed 'to combat global warming' are pretty darn good sound ideas for lots of OTHER reasons too, so IMO would be a good idea to implement. (Possible exception: this buying carbon tradeoffs thing...)

Pat
:clap

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
. We might as well worry about cleaning up the air we breathe, clean up the water we drink, quit polluting everything we have down here on earth......
this is my concern. I saw recently on TV about all the hormones, antibiotics, etc that are being literally flushed down the toilet, and into our drinking water, which has been linked to erectile dysfunction etc, and resistance to antibiotics etc. they can't get this out of the water with their current filtering processes.

I'm not claiming to be educated on this, but my opinion rests on the fact that we are perfectly capable of screwing up this world, (pollution, destruction of rainforests etc), we need to be just as capable of cleaning up the messes we are making. and to even go a step further and not make messes that need to be cleaned up in the first place. question is, with big business, is that somethiing this world is willing to do.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree North
I am not worrying about global "anything" 1000 years from now, or tomorrow if it happens, but how about worrying about what we really are doing to the earth now, down here on the actual soil.....pollution with toxins, chemicals, water supplies devastated, nuclear stuff, our chemical processed foods, our steriod beefs, our hormone, drug changed livestock, etc. etc. etc.

there ain't nothing wrong with seeing a big picture in the future, but how about a little more care with the immediate, now situation.

I saw a great "green" show on TV----notice how many "green" shows that are popping up on cable..LOL...they are playing right into what america wants to watch and learn, which is good I guess...LOL-----but they showed coffee. Coffee is #2 traded commodity in the world after oil.....but.....they are cutting down forests to raise more coffee for convenience. Usually coffee is raised "under" shade canopy of big trees...makes for a better coffee bean, but now due to high demand, they are cutting the forests so the beans can be dealt with in a faster fashion to hit market....WELL.....the tv show said, buy ONLY shade-grown coffee. That way with demand on that product, we save the forests also...Hmm....now this show was super interesting. How just buying a simple difference in product like "shade-grown" coffee in their product meant we were saving rainforests. I never knew...I just never did "the chain of product" before and this show offered that.

I am just rambling..LOL...it was so interesting to me and just wanted to share it.....the chain of our products. How something as simple as a coffee bean and how it is grown can save entire forests! Which we need to produce oxygen!

whew....
LOL-LOL