Do you think it will ever come to food rationing?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
So does anyone here think that we will get to the point of food rationing and if so, how long do you think it would be before it happens?

The reason I bring this up, besides the state of our economy, someone in a thread over on the BYC site mentioned that it happened in a store near her.
She said that when she was shopping in her grocery stor she noticed that there weren't alot of items stocked and half empty shelves.
She asked the manager about it and he claimed that they are being "rationed", so to speak. The store was now being limited on how much they are allowed to order, per the governmet.
Now, I don't want to set off a panic or anything like that, and I don't personally know the poster of the thread, but for what its worth, it bothers me enough to wonder about it and to try to get some other peoples opinions.

So what do ya think?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Um, I think that was me that posted that? and it was my cousin who had talked to the manager of our local save a lot.

But to answer your question, yes I think it may come to that but not sure when. Right now I am putting back what ever food I can, and if it doesn't come down to that, good!

They are rationing gas in the same town as our local save a lot. Five gallons is all they allow us to get!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Are you kidding? 5 gallons. See now they make you waste gas buy driving to the gas station more often.
I hate the price of gas, but if I am going to go get it I try to fill the tank so I don't have to be bothered again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NO
I don't see food rationing happening at all. There are tons of products out there....I don't care if my brand of rice or brand of "whatever" is limited on supply to a store, I will just buy a different brand if necessary or make substitutions. I don't think it will ever some to "not available". I don't believe there will be a food shortage at all. Not stocking up in fear either. I stock up what little I do cause of price. I honestly refuse to submit to this type of fear while listening to the news or whatever out there. I must live more in the moment....thinking too far in advance makes me waste today...a day I could be enjoying......now don't get me wrong, I do keep up on events and such, will take action if I truly see something coming soon, but I don't see this happening so I am not reacting now at all.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Let me add, after reading Farmerchicks post and reading mine, I sounds bit crazy LOL

I tend to buy alot of food because I am feeding a family of 7 and most of the time my FIL comes down for meals, too, so even if I wasn't concerned about the economy I would be stocking up and putting back foods incase of a time that I personally couldn't get food. you know, in case of income loss or something?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No you don't sound crazy...LOL...everyone has their level of stocking up, their family size to deal with, their own priority to prepare for emergencies. I am just kinda the type that goes along wtih the flow and not have a tendency to react much to these things....unless they are right in my face and I need to address them. I do have stock...LOL...I could get along for a good time on my supplies.

Edited to say---most gas stations are out of gas here. I happened to fill up all vehicles 2 days ago so I have no problems. I have 30 gallons of gas in the carport for mowers and such so I know I will do fine.....but lines were long at the few stations that had gas. Limit $40 each. Also the store owner (a buddy who buys my eggs and sells them) said that his next tanker is coming on Monday. I will make it easily and not worried. Just gotta limit driving. I will survive..HA HA HA

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think there is a big difference between sporadic local shortages of certain items and Actual Food Rationing, in a WWII butter-coupon sort of way.

If you think about it, there have ALWAYS been sporadic local shortages of some items, it's just that we take it for granted and do not get weirded out and nobody calls it 'rationing' or writes newspaper stories about it. I used to go to a fish store where, when they got in occasional shipments of really good 'dry' scallops, you were only allowed to purchase I think 3 lbs max. When stores run big sales on items it is quite common for them to limit quantities you can buy. And sometimes things DO run out for a long time -- heck, the dark chocolate bars we buy a lot of seem to run out of stock for about 3 wks at a time, every few months, and we've all seen shortages of oranges or lettuce due to unexpected Florida freezes and so forth.

So it is only a matter of how many of what sort of products this happens to... it is not some completely new phenomenon.

Do I think that there will be times people can't find their favorite brand of frozen pizza in the stores, and maybe the store is out of rice or milk or OJ for a little while? Sure. Do I think this constitutes rationing? No. Do I think that WWII coupon/quota style rationing is likely to happen? No.

JMHO,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think it will eventually happen in this world. The Bible says there will be famines in the end times and I pretty much believe what the Bible says, so I guess I will weigh in on the eventual rationing, or at least government control, of the amount of food a person will be allowed to get and the conditions under which they will be allowed to have it.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Localized shortages are always a possibility, especially if we see severe fuel shortages that affect us on a national level.

There area a number of scenarios that could cause such a shortage, and it always pays to be prepared. As far as rationing, it could happen under certain extreme circumstances, but you'd would probably be able to see most of these developing and prudently prepare. The most likely would be an extreme economic disruption. Hmmm....

Latest posts