Do you think it will ever come to food rationing?

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Some days my town and many around it have no fuel. How can they ship food without fuel? Food rationing would not surprise me.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
There were a couple of stations in my town that were out of gas recently.
I find now that as soon as payday rolls around I fill the gas tanks.
Its a strange feeling to worry this way when we never really had to. I was very young the last time this happend with gas.
I have never in my life been so concious of how much gas I use. I won't stop living my life, but I do combine much more of my little errands to be able to do them in the same area at the same time.
I am lucky in that my bank is in my supermarket and my supermarket is in the same parking lot as Walmart.
My pharmacy is also in Walmart.
There is a mailbox right outside the market as well.
There is also a gas station and another grocery store directly across the street, along with a bunch of specialty shops and more banks.
I can take care of so much right in the same parking lot.
I can bank, foodshop, take care of any prescriptions that need to be filled and of course by anything under the sun at Wallyworld.

What about all the people that don't have that kind of convenience and they have to travel quite aways into town and with the price of gas, or not being able to even get gas, its a scary thought.

I don't know, I hope that when all is said and done that people will come out of this with a better sense of the world situation.
Maybe people won't be so frivolous, gluttonous,wasteful and self centered.
Maybe some good can come out of this and people will be more socially aware and society will change for the better.

I still worry about what is going to go down in the meantime.
After my grandparent's passed away my aunt gave me a box of stuff she found tucked away.
In it were the "tokens" I think they were called, for food rations.
For some reason I think I might be wrong on what they were called.
But my grandparents still had them all those years.
You always hear of people who lived through that always kind of thinking it will happen again and they never get too comfortable.
When the world financially crashes it stays with you forever.
Well, I for one am hoping for the best but am going to be prepared nonetheless, I feel I owe it to my family.
If nothing comes of it great, but if something happend and I wasn't prepared for my children I would be devastated since I am responsible for them.
I do feel like some of you here who feel its not going to amount to anything but then I feel that inkling that others are talking about.

Man, I really hope it never comes down to food rations, but Pat made a good point that there is a big difference between rations and local shortages and it happens all the time really.

Anyone have an opinion on how long its going to take for things to stabilize now?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
JMO, I do not think we should be bailing anyone out, that being said, I see us on the going down
side of a hill. We just havent hit bottom. When we will? Is just about anyones guess. What will happen? Just about anyones guess. I dont like not knowing anymore than anyone else. We each of us need to be ready, And we each have our own personal "readiness".

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I doubt we'll see true blue food rationing any time soon. Some areas were complaining of a sort of temporary rationing that was going on pre-Hurricane Ike, and I'm guessing after Katrina, that those regional types of rationing by individual businesses may occur more, to prevent selling out of the basic necessities that people want to stock pile 3 days before a major weather occurance happens. And with the more severe weather in general, it's not uncommon for an entire seasons worth of oranges, or rice, or popular American grains to get pretty much entirely wiped out, which would then lead to really high prices on what's left of those items, but I think in most cases, we can just adapt by changing our diet (apple juice instead of orange juice). That said though, I still think it's a good idea to always keep a hefty stock of a few essentials. I always buy a few items in very large bulk quantity like rice, peanut butter, lentils, cooking oil, and have started canning too, so I've always got something around. Basically, I don't think we need to panic, but we also shouldn't be stupid! There's an Arab proverb "Trust in Allah, but tie your camel." which sums it up pretty well!

hollybird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
better to be prepared. nobody needs to know what you store. even if they do see they will be begging not teasing if the big disaster does strike. i am not prepared to live without coffee and chocolate.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think for me the whole idea of storing food and supplies has more to do with disaster preparedness than anything else. Even though my main issue is earthquakes we have dealt with fires in the past few years. The smoke was horrid and we did not leave the house for days. It was great having a stocked pantry to rely on.
So no, at this point I don't believe food rationing will be an issue, but if a diaster strikes I want to have the confidence that I can provide for my family.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't think we will see the coupon rationing either. But I do believe that if we do crash there will be less shipments being made as the cost of fuel to ship it will be to high. So the stores will have a limit on how much you can buy of non local items especially. Which means there will be some empty shelves in the stores. I really wish we had started planting our trees a few yrs ago(fruit). But at least we have some oranges we could barter with.

I do have a well stocked pantry, but since we had our accident & had to be really, really, really frugal & use our imagination sometimes to feed ourselves. I have not let my pantry get low, I want to be able to take care of my children better than that(only had 1 at the time). So I stock up. If dh got hurt or sick & could not work then we would be ahead.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't but into the global warming propaganda. Because when I was in grade school(70"s) we ewre told that if something wasn't done soon about pollution we would be living in an ice age. Which BTW would be going on right now. We did all sorts of thigns with our vehicles & manufacturing plants, but still we have environmental issues?? Don't get me wrong, I recycle, reuse & reduce as much as I can. But last yr was one of the coldest on record all over the world. So they just have not convinced me. JMO

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
I don't but into the global warming propaganda. Because when I was in grade school(70"s) we ewre told that if something wasn't done soon about pollution we would be living in an ice age. Which BTW would be going on right now. We did all sorts of thigns with our vehicles & manufacturing plants, but still we have environmental issues?? Don't get me wrong, I recycle, reuse & reduce as much as I can. But last yr was one of the coldest on record all over the world. So they just have not convinced me. JMO
If you do a little research right now you will see that the earth has indeed reverted back into global cooling...you don't hear much about it though because they are still trying to suck all they can out of the global warming agenda. Global warming is over everyone, the ice is back on the arctic, the polar bears are no longer in danger, and the earth is cooling quite rapidly:>)

I should know...we got wet snow here today...first time since I was a kid we get snow this early...usually we don't get it until mid November