Do you wear long skirts?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually wear jeans, but I like long loose skirts. It took me a while to get over the "don't get it dirty" ingrained in me as a kid. I got durable fabrics that don't tear easy on wire. I found that a skirt is so much easier to pull on and go deal with the chickens in the morning. And I've found it quite warm in cool weather. It also is easier to bend and move in. No movement restriction. So depending on what I'm doing outside, I wear skirt. I wear pants when using machinery. Mom hates the loose skirts on me. She says they make me look fat. I keep telling her they don't. It's the fat that makes me look fat.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:D @ Hintori. Aren't mothers wonderful?

I wear pants, shorts, culottes, skirts (shorter and long), dresses, the whole shebang. At work I mainly wear skirts, as my pants are beat to death from my active at-home life. I get comments when I occasionally wear pants to work, but not the skirts.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I do wear long-ish skirts sometimes. I just tell them I am a "fashion statement" and smile!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Ya'll are kidding - right? People actually make negative comments? I wear it all - mostly jeans beause of where I work but in winter I love long skirts. And summer time will often find me in a long summer dress or skirt. I am like Denim Deb - I would not deal that well with someone who made a negative comment. Because I am mostly a jeans person, people will comment on a dress or skirt - but its not negative. Its just a "hey, whats up with you and the skirt/dress" thing. But if I wear one two days in a row its old news and no one says anything. If I wear one 3 days in a row and on the 4th day go back to jeans I get the - "hey, what happened to the skirts/dress" comments.
But negative - no way. Maybe its because they all know I will get right back in their face with something like a strange from head to toe look - as I cock my head to the side and hum - and then say maybe you should consider a change yourself. But honestly - wear what you want - unless someone else is buying your clothes - what business is it of theirs. By the way my chickens hate flowery bright colored skirts and they will always have a negative reaction to them. I just ignore them totally. :D

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They mostly teased about me "turning Amish".

I have to say that when I was wearing skirts, I was very surprised at how warm they really were! Here in Wisconsin it can get pretty darn cold!

I guess I am trying to be a more Proverbs 31 wife. IT IS SO HARD though!! Maybe the skirt will help remind me who wears the pants in the family?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You don't NEED to wear a skirt to remember who wears the pants in the family. And, contrary to what some people will tell you, I can find no place in the Bible that forbids a woman to wear pants. It's not the clothing that makes the difference, but the attitude of the heart.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my long skirts! The only problem is I have such a hard time finding them. I have two that are a light gauzey type material that is AI comfy and cool in the summer time, I would love to wear them in the garden but I'm afraid they'd get town and I wouldn't find a replacement.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
They mostly teased about me "turning Amish".

I have to say that when I was wearing skirts, I was very surprised at how warm they really were! Here in Wisconsin it can get pretty darn cold!

I guess I am trying to be a more Proverbs 31 wife. IT IS SO HARD though!! Maybe the skirt will help remind me who wears the pants in the family?
I know what you mean with this phrase. It's not so much that it forbids pants but it does describe how a woman should deport herself and how she should run her household. Dressing modestly is a trait of a godly woman and long skirts are considered very modest and lady-like. My mother always said she felt more like a lady when she wore skirts and she acted more like one as a consequence.

My father wanted her to wear them and so she did.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I like to wear them sometimes. If anybody mentions it, I just say "I felt like it." People that try to say how others should dress normally drop the subject when it it doesn't get any reaction.