Do you wear long skirts?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
In Samoa the traditional outfit for men is the "ie lavalava." Basically it's a piece of fabric 45" wide and about 4' long wrapped around the waist and tucked tightly at the waist. There is also a more formal version made of suiting fabric with pockets and a built in belt called an "ie faitaga."

4399_mens_ie20faitga_189_sm.jpg

Absolutely the most comfortable thing I have ever worn!! When we lived in Hawai'i I could get away with wearing one, but on the mainland people frown upon men in "skirts."

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
but on the mainland people frown upon men in "skirts."
There's always the Utili-Kilt. Personally, I like guys in kilts ... but I still haven't convinced hubby to try one yet.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
I love my long skirts! The only problem is I have such a hard time finding them.
Simple elastic-waistband skirts are obscenely easy to make - right up there with pillowcases almost. Take your waist measurement, double it, buy that length in 45-48 inch width fabric you like, sew the raw edges together in a seam, hem one end and make an elastic casing with the other, then just put in your elastic and close it up. Not too poofy (but if you want poofy just go 2-1/2 to 3 times your waist measurement and be patient running the elastic - and make sure the fabric isn't too bulky) and I did my first one in just a couple hours. The "fancy" version is to make a folded over waistband and pleat the top into it instead of just gathering with elastic, then finish with a pants hook or button. The beauty is, if you mess up there aren't many seams to take out to start over - ask how I know! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sis is currently making me two just as you describe from a pattern made from my old fave skirt. The most comfortable skirt ever! I picked out stretchy, soft, cotton materials because they suit my need for comfort.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
I have had the feeling for a few years now that I need to wear long skirts. I tried a couple years ago, but got teased from the people at work.

Did any of you choose to wear a skirt or dress? How did the people around you react? What advise would you give someone who wants to make the switch?
I have recently decided to convert my wardrobe to long skirts and dresses as the result of reading this blog: http://aspiring-homemaker.blogspot.com/. I have secured several historical patterns and will be making my wardrobe on my treadle sewing machine. Mia, the blogger, states that working and wearing skirts is actually cooler than wearing pants/jeans. That was all I needed to read. I live in Central FL and it is hot as a witches tit here in the Summer, thus my sewing machine will be smoking as I work to catch up.

Mia also mentioned noticing a difference in how she is treated since she gave up wearing jeans (keeping up with the girls in her old neighborhood) and began immulating her Mom who did not coerce them to wear skirts.

So, if anyone has fabric they would like to donate to my cause I will gladly take it off your hands as I build my long skirt wardrobe. I'm looking forward to the difference in how I may be treated as I dress like a lady vs. the more masculine pant wearing style.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i dont do long skirts, theres somehting about the feel of the fabric around my ankels that drives me crazy...
i used to not do skirts at all ever, but its because when i was 350lbs its impossible to wear a skirt comfortably when your thighs touch alot lol.

last summer though i started wearing dresss and found just above the knee to be very comfortable :D
once they get calf length or longer though they tend to agrivate me lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom used to wear dresses and skirts exclusively and she always said she felt different while wearing them...more ladylike and feminine. Even while wearing them to work in the garden and the woods.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Gah! I can't stand to wear skirts or dresses... Only for fancy occasions. Mom used to make me wear a dress when I was a kid and I hated it. I don't mind getting REALLY dolled up, but anything less and I'm in pants!
I find that I dislike the feeling of my skin against skin when it is hot. I have a couple pairs of wrap pants which are awesome, and serve the dual purpose of being very open, but still keeping fabric between me and me!

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Gah! I can't stand to wear skirts or dresses... Only for fancy occasions. Mom used to make me wear a dress when I was a kid and I hated it. I don't mind getting REALLY dolled up, but anything less and I'm in pants!
I find that I dislike the feeling of my skin against skin when it is hot. I have a couple pairs of wrap pants which are awesome, and serve the dual purpose of being very open, but still keeping fabric between me and me!
I'm with ya there HQ! Can't stand to wear anything but jeans. Tanktops and jeans in the summer and long sleeves and jeans in the winter.

Everytime I've work a skirt/dress I feel nekkid :lol: