Do your SS plans include secret rooms?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Do you have secret rooms or places for hiding in your SS plans for what you perceive as valuables?
Hidden doors, moving bookcases, hollow rocks, fake fireplace, floor board?

During the Y2K many knew that certain groups (religious) advocated long term storage of supplies and food. There were many who didn't stock up and mentioned frequently that they would target someone who belonged to one of these groups for their supply.

I began this thread as a fun DIY idea exchange but as I researched it I found a real industry for "all places hidden" online. Perhaps not as whimsical as I thought.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My sister-in-law had a contractor build a small area in her home which is pretty invisible to the normal visitor. It reminded me of a hide-away spot I once read about that was used on the underground railroad during the civil war. It was a big selling point when she sold her flat in London.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
You may not want this taken this direction but since you brought it up... :D

Our family (parents, grandparents, etc.) have always tried to have a year's supply of very basic necessities, wheat, sugar, beans, powdered milk, etc. and a 3 month supply of all the other "stuff". While I hate the thought that we'd have to defend our supply if worst came to worst (reminds me of "Bug's Life" with the grasshoppers and the ants) I wouldn't be surprised if after 1 month of "worst case" that people start turning on each other.

We have a basement in a part of the country where few people have them, and we could probably hide it well enough that nobody would even know it is there.

Of course, if after 2 months of nobody having any food in the area, the neighbors might start to suspect something when we're eating and they are not. I guess a hidden room wouldn't do much good at that point and it would just come down to base survival / defense mode... which is just not a fun thought process / path.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
No, it isn't a fun path, but it is a possibility. My other zombie post is only PARTLY in jest. A horde of hungry people who didn't take the time or effort to prepare and now want to rob you will act just like a bunch of zombies.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Part of me thinks: If it ever gets to that point then I'll probably just gladly share with everyone because by that point (2 months of no food / support) we're all in WAY deeper trouble than just "what are we going to eat!?!"

But that's how I think when I'm not in total survival / protect family mode. It is amazing how temperament can change if worst comes to worst.

BTW, if there is no food supply within driving distance for months on end and the zombies are out in full force, do you think we'll still have to pay our mortgage? ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'll just tell Countrywide they can come and get it whenever they want :p

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know you guys are jesting, but I too have wondered about the mortgage thing, if we are in total collapse and assuming I'm far enough away from the big cities that they will run out of gas before they (the zombies) get here, what happens? the government army takes the houses and land from people?
we all just go to Robs basement I guess...........

:hide

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Well, if I told you where my secret room was it wouldn't be a secret anymore!!! :duc

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
andehens said:
I know you guys are jesting, but I too have wondered about the mortgage thing, if we are in total collapse and assuming I'm far enough away from the big cities that they will run out of gas before they (the zombies) get here, what happens? the government army takes the houses and land from people?
we all just go to Robs basement I guess...........
I dunno, has Rob got the flooding problem fixed yet? :p

I don't worry about hiding things in a secret room. Seems to me that only really helps if looters don't just shoot ya first. If it got to that point, I think your more successful class of looters would be erring on the side of 'fewer people to fight back' and so I am unconvinced a secret room would really do me any good.

It's fun to think about these things sometimes, maybe, but probably more constructive to put one's energy into pursuits more likely to yield useful payoffs :p

JMHO,

Pat