Do your SS plans include secret rooms?

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I live in a very old house. The whole upstairs has walls and rooms behind the walls like the movies. Two rooms are as large as my bedroom. Why they built it like this and didn't utilize that space is beyond me.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have always wanted a house with secret rooms. You are lucky. I want to add on to our house and add a secret rooms for my son to play in. I think it would be cool.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If we can we want to build one as our root cellar mainly. but it would work great for other thigns to be hidden in too.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
xineohpoel said:
I live in a very old house. The whole upstairs has walls and rooms behind the walls like the movies. Two rooms are as large as my bedroom. Why they built it like this and didn't utilize that space is beyond me.
Is it possible that they built it with the idea that the space would be there if they needed to expand into it, but didn't want to finish and heat it until that day came? (it used to be really really common to close off unused rooms or even whole floors, so just not finishing 'em in the first place is just sort of the next step :p)

Also some secret rooms date from Underground Railroad days (or its counterparts in other parts of the world) or smuggling/bootlegging related uses.

Must be a neat house; you are really lucky! :)

Pat

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think that if things get icky(political term) I would feel more comfy knowing that I can protect my family and keep what I've worked hard to put away. I really don't have any hesitation at all of using a weapon to protect my family and I do feel it may come to that. The great thing about urban living is that the zombies in the cities really won't have a lot of access to us if there is no transportation. And in a farming community like I live, many of my neighbors have chickens, goats cows etc. I don't think they'll be stealing but that we may all be bartering to trade for what we need

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't know about other areas, but... in Louisiana, during the 1800's and before, homes were taxed on the number of rooms. That is the reason that so many homes from that period had hidden rooms.

I know the owners of several homes from these periods, and they all have them. Of course, it was always the upper class that could afford a home large enough to have hidden areas.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How are we going to protect our guns from the government? I think that they are the ones who will come after stashed guns and ammo before anything like a total collapse happens.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I don't know about other areas, but... in Louisiana, during the 1800's and before, homes were taxed on the number of rooms. That is the reason that so many homes from that period had hidden rooms.

I know the owners of several homes from these periods, and they all have them. Of course, it was always the upper class that could afford a home large enough to have hidden areas.
That is interesting!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tallman said:
How are we going to protect our guns from the government? I think that they are the ones who will come after stashed guns and ammo before anything like a total collapse happens.
Back when the Canadian gov't was trying to implement bill c-68--many ppl discussed burying an old freezer in the ground, and storing their guns and ammo in there.

edited to add--b/c we were not going to register our guns, we stockpiled alot of ammo--b/c they would not sell you ammo for a gun that was not registered. thankfully that did NOT go through.

Latest posts