Do your SS plans include secret rooms?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tallman said:
How are we going to protect our guns from the government? I think that they are the ones who will come after stashed guns and ammo before anything like a total collapse happens.
Our guns are protected by the second amendment & will not b targeted. It is the ammo they are going after to regulate. There are 38 states that have legislation in them to limit the amount of ammo a person can purchase in a designated time frame. Not to mention what type of ammo too. And if your guns are not registered how will they know you have them? Or if they are "stolen"?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Or if they are "stolen"?
There was a time when you weren't required to register and you may have inherited from a relative who obtained a gun from that time period.
There were gun shows just before Clinton was inaugurated where no sellers required any paperwork. It was the main advertised draw of the public show. Cash and carry for used and new.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have one of those inherieted ones but it was from a stepfather so no connectin by name for us. Plus another one from another friend of dh that is deceased. So 2 are untraceable for us.
I do remember the days when you could buy guns without registering them. I do not think many of my dads guns are registered either.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband just purchased a really nice rifle with scope. He bought two boxes of bullets and I was stunned! They are kinda large bullets but he says you just don't use that many when you are hunting....

makes me laugh. He was out of town last september when all the SHTF with the economy and I was freakin out. So we have this small rifle that grandpa gave us long ago. We've never used it so I went and bought ammo and a cleaning Kit, 2,000 rounds!

My husband cracked up! Wanted to know what I planned to do with it all!:lol:

I've never even shot a gun.

Right now my hubby is looking for a safe to install into a closet or something. Says you attach it to the floor. Thats the closest we will come to a secret room I guess but he's thinking he might get one big enough to keep the guns in.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Is it possible that they built it with the idea that the space would be there if they needed to expand into it, but didn't want to finish and heat it until that day came? (it used to be really really common to close off unused rooms or even whole floors, so just not finishing 'em in the first place is just sort of the next step :p)

Also some secret rooms date from Underground Railroad days (or its counterparts in other parts of the world) or smuggling/bootlegging related uses.

Must be a neat house; you are really lucky! :)

Pat
I think one room was the old guys liquor parlor. I found a ton of liquor bottles there when I went back after posting and checked it out again. Maybe an old moonshiner. To get to that room you have to get on your hands and knees and go through a secret door in the closet and down a crawl space. It has a hinged floor that opens to the framework. Lots of old liquor bottles under there.

From what I understand 2 brothers and 4 sisters built the house and lived here all their lives.

As far as guns I have some but, also am handy with my four heavy duty slingshots. Any gravel is a bullet lol.

Latest posts