doc_gonzo's man cave

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't know I had a high tolerance till later on. I did manage 3 childbirths without pain meds..and yes...it was quite painful. I have read where people with red hair, women especially...have a high tolerance to medications as well. The only inkling I had about the tolerance, when I was young..I had to have a molar pulled out at 16. The laffing gas bugged me, so I had him take it back off. He gave me a shot, it never took. I told the Dentist just to go ahead an pull it out. Without meds. Then, with my first child, at 18, the pudendal block didn't take. I felt it all.

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
yikes mox,

i'm a wimp if i actualy do go to a doc instead of doctoring myself i expect maximum pain scrips. if i doctor myself, i sound like a chicklet box for a week walkin around from all the 500 mg ibuprofens clacking around in my system.
on a happier note, i'm just starting my monthly week off. wooooooot!!!!! as a steam engeneer we work a "dupont schedule" swing shift.....3 days work, 3 days off, 3 nights work, 3 days off etc. etc. and 7 days off every 28 day cycle. not a schedule for the light at heart, but if you can handle it killer money and killer time off. mondo time around the the farm to get crap done, unless it's spent sleeping to get caught up hehe.

doc

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Workbench1.jpg
I thought I'd bump the thread. I put some pics of my "man cave" (my shop) on page one of this thread. I have a picture, from another corner of my shop, of a workbench I've used for many years (the surface looks it, eh?). I built it as one of my first woodworking projects, when I was real young.

It's heavy - which was intended. I'd acquired an old book (a classic to be found in used-book stores) called How to Work with Tools and Wood, by Nathan Mager. I made the frame according to Mager's design, plans given in the book.

The frame uses 2x4 and 2x8 sections, bolted together. Top is from 4-inch-thick lumber. There is a shelf of 1x boards (could have used plywood).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your shop is so clean... Mine has about 6" inches of sawdust covering the floor and it looks like a bomb went off in there. I bet you couldn't find anything in there but I know where everything is :).

I clean my shop with a leaf blower seriously I do.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your shop is so clean... Mine has about 6" inches of sawdust covering the floor and it looks like a bomb went off in there. I bet you couldn't find anything in there but I know where everything is :).

I clean my shop with a leaf blower seriously I do.
The dustiest work area I have is in our big shed, where my table saw is. The metal-working area, shown on the first page on this thread (scroll down) gets a shadow of steel dust from cutting & grinding. Yeah, I do clean those areas up, usually, after working in there for a day or two... or maybe a bit longer. My wife is a "neat freak" and rarely hesitates to point out when I'm displaying grubby tendencies. :sick

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't a "man cave" supposed to have recliners, TV's, and a fridge?
I think what you have is just a tool "playground".
For your info, I'm a chick but I'm allowed into my Uncle's man cave seeing how it's also the tool storage! I do lots of work around here so I have to access his area. You could say " I was a Jacklin of all trades and Master of none". The only tools of his I don't mess around with are chainsaws, blade sharpener, and welder.
My Uncle also has a bike which I absolutely love even though I haven't never been on it. I can't straddle it's too wide. If I have a pic I'll post it for all you want-a-bees to drool over.
IMG_20170924_095447.jpg

Isn't she a beauty? I so can't wait until summer when I'm able to give her a bath. Right now she's put up until Spring.
Thanks tortoise, for the helpful tip about sawdust. Right now my Uncle and I are in the process of sawing up logs to split for firewood for the evaporater.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't a "man cave" supposed to have recliners, TV's, and a fridge?
I think what you have is just a tool "playground".
For your info, I'm a chick but I'm allowed into my Uncle's man cave seeing how it's also the tool storage! I do lots of work around here so I have to access his area. You could say " I was a Jacklin of all trades and Master of none". The only tools of his I don't mess around with are chainsaws, blade sharpener, and welder.
Maybe you're right... i just posted in this "man cave" thread because my shop areas were the closest thing(s) I had to what the thread-starter posted about. But "playground" isn't quite right either, cause most of the time I'm doing something practical and needed, often something that saves us money. But in a way I can think of a lot of that as "play" because usually, if I'm not under time pressure, I enjoy doing these things.