Does anyone sell their produce/homeades at the local farmers market?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We sell at the farm gate because it's actually illegal to sell your ungraded eggs at the market here. I'll hopefully have some herbs and vegetables to sell this year as well as some sewing projects my mum has done. Fun and colourful halter fuzzies are something I do as well ;) and will hopefully have next summer hatching eggs for sale from our chickies and duckies and perhaps some soaps and the like.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll be selling at the roadside this year...finally will get things organized and make for better sales.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This will be our 5th year selling produce at our local market. Last year we added a second market mid-week in afternoon. Sweet corn is always a big hit - $4.00/doz. - as is green beans, but everyone asks for tomatoes way before they even start growing.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
How would one go about selling at a farmer's market? We have many in the surrounding communities. Are there permits needed, table space fees, restrictions?
I see people selling muffins and pepperoni rolls-don't you need an ok from the health dept to make foods in your own kitchen? I know each town has their own laws, but are there some general guidelines?
Many of ours are seasonal and I presume the only way to contact is to go while they are in operation to ask questions.

Sounds profitable and puts the money in the local's pockets. :cool:
My town doesn't have one. How would someone start one?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Generally, if you are selling food products anywhere other than your own property, you need a permit, business license, etc. from your state government and you have to follow their regulations. Food is already, and will be more so in the future, heavily regulated. To sell eggs, you need an egg handler permit. To sell canned goods or other "value added" products, you need a food handlers permit, etc.

To sell in a market you SHOULD have the above, although the policing of the farmer's markets probably varies by place. Health inspectors can and do show up to make sure everyone is following the rules. In addition, you have to have a table and sometimes you are required to have a canopy. You pay the market a % of your sales and also a flat fee for the space to put your table and canopy. You technically SHOULD also have liability insurance in case someone trips in your booth or gets sick from your product, so they cannot bankrupt you.

Many farmer's markets have contact info and sign up info on-line. Check out the rules . . . lots of markets stipulate that you need to set up early and stick it out all day, even if you sell out of product.

If there are no markets in your area, you might consider looking into farmer market associations . . . I think there are some organizations nationally and by states, and you would want to maybe form a committee of like minded people to get one rolling in your area. Good luck! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Many farmer's markets have contact info and sign up info on-line. Check out the rules . . . lots of markets stipulate that you need to set up early and stick it out all day, even if you sell out of product.
That is how my mother runs her antique shows. So most of her dealers run home and bring more stuff from their shops. They are usually very happy when they sell out and have to make a quick trip home.

BTW, my mother who has been an antique show promoter and dealer for 50 plus years always allows people to set up a sudo farmer's market FOR FREE so her shows have added flair. Plants and home made goodies (soaps and breads) were very popular.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Drake-when I checked on CL for canning jars, I found an ad trying to sell home canned BBQ sauce for $6 a pint. I wonder if this person knows the regulations for food and especially home canned goods.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ok, no food for me. How about veggie and or plant starts?

;)
You need a nursery license in WA state. Going rate is $100 + business license fees. Then you get to pay business taxes, etc. :/
The State is very wary of anyone selling plants that have live roots, because they could potentially carry diseases.