Does anyone sell their produce/homeades at the local farmers market?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Our "market" is over an hour away, and folks just sell out of the back of their trucks :gig Some do have fancier set ups, but I did buy my corn and tomatoes last year out the back of someone's truck! (DANG those tomatoes were SO yummy!!!!)

I'd love to start one in our small town, our population is only 169! (including our dog) :celebrate Most folk around here just trade or give extra away, my hubby's work seems to be a "hot spot" of trading, I got some lovely cucumbers from one of his co-workers last year.
One person in town takes orders for peaches from CO, and a huge truck comes in once a year and we buy by the box ($30)

I really should look into a little market of some sort, where folks could just gather and sell home made and home grown goodies...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Drake-when I checked on CL for canning jars, I found an ad trying to sell home canned BBQ sauce for $6 a pint. I wonder if this person knows the regulations for food and especially home canned goods.
Most likely they do not. I'm not sure that regulators regularly check CL for things like this . . . so they are flying under the radar and they may do well for a while. But technically they could get in a lot of hot water. Plus the liability issue . . . I trust my home-canned food, but I would be very cautious about putting it on the open market. You just never know with people. :/

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I trust my home-canned food, but I would be very cautious about putting it on the open market. You just never know with people. :/
Same here, and I wouldn't trust others canned foods. I think alot of people are like that-leary(sp) of home canned stuff.

wait........wasn't there a thread on here about some state de-regulating home canned foods?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
big brown horse said:
Ok, no food for me. How about veggie and or plant starts?

;)
You need a nursery license in WA state. Going rate is $100 + business license fees. Then you get to pay business taxes, etc. :/
The State is very wary of anyone selling plants that have live roots, because they could potentially carry diseases.
Oh well....nevermind.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:barnie It makes you want to pull your hair out.

It isn't that you couldn't do it and maybe get away with it for a while . . . I'm just giving you the bottom line about selling legitimately and protecting yourself. :/

Edited for wrong smilie!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
DrakeMaiden said:
I trust my home-canned food, but I would be very cautious about putting it on the open market. You just never know with people. :/
Same here, and I wouldn't trust others canned foods. I think alot of people are like that-leary(sp) of home canned stuff.
With good reason. If you aren't careful . . . . :sick

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Gasp!! You used the worng smilie???? :p

Yeah, I know, I know...it does make you want to pull your hair out.

(I like to follow the rules, so I'm glad you know what the bottom line is. :) )

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I think Washington is over regulated on alot of things and most of it just doesn't make alot of sense. :rant

eta-what about veggie seeds? or is THAT licen$ed too??

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think people should decide how much risk they are willing to take all by themselves.

Remember, all those mass cases of E. coli weren't cause by home-canned bbq sauce. They came from regulated, licensed, USDA inspected plants.