Does this freak you out?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The gentleman's warning may seem a little on the harsh side, but consider the reality should the predictions come true. Imagine living in a city, and wake you up to find that the money you have has only half of the buying power that it had when you went to sleep. Now imagine that happening again the next morning, and so on, and so on. That is probably a best case scenario if the dollar were to crash.

Of course the government could mandate price controls, but what you would end up with is a lot of stores with empty shelves because no one would want to sell anything for worthless money.

It's happened may times in the past and there is nothing to say it can't happen here. In fact, we are following in the same footsteps as those that have gone down that path before. And it isn't just the U.S.

Collapse of the euro is 'inevitable'

Greece Dress Rehearsal for U.S. and U.K., Deutsche Bank Says

Crisis Looms in Japan as its Economy Slowly Melts

EU Meets to Stifle Rising Panic

20 Reasons Why The U.S. Economy Is Dying And Is Simply Not Going To Recover

Portugal Warned Near Political Crisis Over Debt

Fears of "Lehman Style" Tsunami in Spain and Portugal

And so on, and so on... There are more of these type of articles every day. If anyone is paying attention, and doesn't prepare for the possibility, they probably have their head in the sand. I am not a financial expert, so all I can do is read the writing on the wall, and then do what ever I can in the case that the writing is correct. I hope that it isn't.

zimbabwe_100_trillion_2009_obverse.jpg

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To me it is clear that the economy of the globe is based on nothing.

Go to Chris Martenson's Crash Course

or a youtube video called The Gig Is Up (I'll link it later)

The point is to prepare. Like a joke I recently saw about global warming - - "what if this whole global warming thing is a hoax and we make the world a better place for nothing?"

Having provisions, being prepared for whatever life throws you is a good thing. I am not cashing out my 401, but if it vanished I wouldn't go hungry either.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am investing in heavy metals. Mostly lead and steel with a little bit of copper thrown in for good measure.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been going through our backstock of non-perishables this evening. I believe I have enough to sustain 7 people for maybe 6-8 months. It still doesn't seem enough lol. My ammo is OK, but I think I will work on it next. Another thing is water. We have maybe 30-40 half gallon cans of various fruit juice, I but I think I will start stockpiling bottled gallons of water. Question: do those expire if the seal is intact? Another thing to work on is medical supplies:bandages, ointments, painkillers, etc.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
tommywalnuts said:
I have been going through our backstock of non-perishables this evening. I believe I have enough to sustain 7 people for maybe 6-8 months. It still doesn't seem enough lol. My ammo is OK, but I think I will work on it next. Another thing is water. We have maybe 30-40 half gallon cans of various fruit juice, I but I think I will start stockpiling bottled gallons of water. Question: do those expire if the seal is intact? Another thing to work on is medical supplies:bandages, ointments, painkillers, etc.
If you are asking about bottled water, yes it does expire. Mostly though, it's due to changes in taste. The polyethylene terephthalate (PET) used for retail bottles and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) used to make water cooler jugs, is slightly porous. It will over time pickup the smells of its' environment, so you probably wouldn't want to store it next to the kitty litter box. :D

It probably won't kill you, but it might not be pleasant. A lot of reference suggest cycling self stored water every 6 months. Also, if stored water tastes a bit flat, sometimes shaking it (thereby adding oxygen) helps.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It will be easier to refresh stale jugged water than to purify pond water :D

Another thing to work on is medical supplies:bandages, ointments, painkillers, etc.
Yup! Ace bandages, regular bandages, anti-biotic ointment, epsom salts, peroxide, iodine, tea tree oil, etc...

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said It's happened may times in the past and there is nothing to say it can't happen here. In fact, we are following in the same footsteps as those that have gone down that path before. And it isn't just the U.S.
I believe we are being given signs about where we are headed. You know the old saying that states "he who does not know history. . . is doomed to repeat it."
We are following down the path of the Weimar Republic (with slight variatrions) also Zimbabwe comes to mind.Many Americans are arrogant enough to think it cant happen here. I believe they are wrong.