Does your garden ACTUALLY save you $ ?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One thing most people forget to factor in is future health care costs. No, every health care cost is not paid by insurance or by gov't programs....The liver transplant or the quadruple bypass might be paid for, but I'd rather keep my own body parts functioning as long as possible! Future quality of life also needs to be factored in.

Stress reduction is a big part of this, too, and taking care of a garden and animals can be very stress reducing. I say "can" because I am not calm around kidding time!

Another way to think about the early costs and the early mistakes is to consider it the price of taking a class or getting lessons. What you learn from your mistakes is only invaluable if you continue forward and apply that knowledge.

I just took a brain injury seminar and one of the things the doc emphasized was to keep your brain functioning at a high level so you will have some brain cells to spare as you age (paraphrasing, here :D ) Puzzle books don't do it. You need to learn something new or do familiar tasks in a different way....write with your non-dominant hand, take a different route to a familiar place, learn a new skill.

Experimenting with different growing methods counts!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
FM - gardening and tending the rabbits definitely helps keep my mental health issues in balance. Too bad I can't put a $ value on that! If only it could replace medication, then it would be totally worth it! :D

My onions are up! That's a big encouragement. I dug up one of the potatoes and it wasn't rotted. Getting some roots!

We should have compost ready next spring, and I have rabbit poop. Enough to share with the neighbor! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I need a load of hay or feed or bedding, I remind dh what psychotherapy costs, and what a good deal we are getting in the backyard! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Stress reduction is a big part of this, too
I don't think I can add this in to my calculations...especially after hanging Christmas light in the apple trees in the hopes that the little extra heat will keep my blooms from freezing!!!

i totally understand the frustration with the start up costs!
Me too! I have added so many growing beds I have to keep buying dirt!!
:barnie

We should have compost ready next spring, and I have rabbit poop. Enough to share with the neighbor!
I wish you were closer to me!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
In response to the 'little at a time' comment...I totally agree. I started small, figured out what worked and how to do it again, and holy smokes I'm cookin now! :lol: I've also found that I pick my days to hoe, and only do small parts each day. For instance, not right after a rain, but maybe the next couple of days I'll be out for an hour or 2 keeping the weeds down. It also gives me a chance to really LOOK at the garden. Notice what needs trellised, or helped, or what the darn wild bunnies have gotten! :/ (they managed to eat only 1 small tomato plant, and a couple of bean sprouts) . And as was mentioned, that kind of therapy is priceless. I pick around in the garden, the goats are happily meandering the yard, chickens are pecking along, and the rabbits are snoozing in the sun. I feel so much better when I get finished, I seem to handle the rest of the day much better.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be sure to check with the city and see if you need permits, etc. We grow a bunch on aprox. 1/2 acre. Our market is growing each year, more customers and more vendors - so we don't have to supply produce to everyone walking by. You could probably do pretty good with a table of good produce on a main street. Hopefully you have shade - an umbrella or tent, or better yet a large tree.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have often wondered if it pays for itself...but never really cared. I enjoy it and that's what counts. If we weren't doing a garden, we'd probably be doing something else that cost us money.

Also, we plant a garden for another purpose and that is to teach our children how to do it.

And, with the way the economy the way it is going I think we all may wish we knew how to plant and maintain a garden.

So, basically it's one of those preparedness self-sufficient things.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
tortoise said:
How much space is needed for a market garden? There isn't a farmer's market here, but my SO's work is right on a main street and I might be able to convince the owner to let me put up a stand on the grass there.
It depends on how you grow your veggies. Do you want to grow them intensively or more traditionally? It will also make a difference on what you want to grow because some things take more room.

Last year we did a big garden for just us and did a lot of experimenting. Some of it worked, some of it didn't but we learned a lot. This year, my boss who is a gourmet cook is so excited that she said she will pay for anything we have extra. Anything we have that we can't use and she can't use, she'll tell her other friends about. Then off we go! We'll see what our learning curve is this year, what works and doesn't, and expand on that next year.

Perhaps you could do something similar, start with a couple of people who are willing to take anything extra off of your hands. Another thing we love to do is barter! We traded fresh spring lettuce for foccacia bread the other night. Yum!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I still have to start mine >.>

I'm hoping my loving aunt will visit and help me collect containers and dirt and something in which to compost. *hint hint*