Dogs and the stuff they destroy

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good idea or something htey use to keep their dogs from wanting to chew on something? I had to by a new topper for our dogloo becasue both my labs decided to take turns chewing off the top. I bought a new one and put it on yesterday. I made a paste of red pepper and put it all over it. They stayed away for a while. This morning the topper was turnded and some of the pepper was licked off. I need to find something that will change their minds about putting their mouths on it. Something really yucky ;)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've used sour apple spray - but it doesn't last very long, you have to respray if they keep going for it.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to use that for my ferrets but it eventually stoped working. What about vinegar? You think that might work?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Lemongrass or citronella essential oil! Its strong and last a long time and they absolutely HATE it!!!!

Wish I had thought to spray my garden hose.....one of the boys left it just outside the dog's border and the pup crossed over and drug it inside the boundary. Yep....chewed my best garden hose to bits! Could of killed that mutt! I don't mind if they chew odd things here and there, but if it costs me money? Get out the shotgun! :thun

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I will most definitly give that a try asap :) I just went outside and put apple cider vinegar on the topper. I didn't have any regular white vinegar so I hope that works overnight at least.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
We had a lab mix that ate a couch. And a rocking chair. We used a crate. :/
OMG that dog would have been rehomed! LOL

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You ain't kiddin' . New home here I come is what that dog would have been saying. Thats to much to replace for me anyway.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Henrietta23 said:
We had a lab mix that ate a couch. And a rocking chair. We used a crate. :/
OMG that dog would have been rehomed! LOL
Truth be told this is before I moved in. DH got the dog before we met. He was a rescue who had been mistreated and DH's first pet ever in his life. Once he grew up a little and got a little training he was fine. But it might explain why his first owners tied him to a rope in the yard and left him to die after he broke the rope and got hit by a car. :mad: The neighbors rescued him and gave him to DH who had just bought this house. :D

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
okay now that I know the history I would have been ticked but also had compassion after getting over the destruction.