Dogs and the stuff they destroy

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I don't know if this works with other dogs but I had a digger. Looking out into the yard, all you could see was her tail above a three foot deep fox holes, waving back and forth with joy.
I simply gave her a digging corner- she was allowed to dig in the back 1/3 of the yard. If she even scratched the ground anywhere else, she got yelled at but I would tell her she was a good girl if she went to the back to dig. She pretty much held to our agreement all her life. Some of those holes got deep, but then she would sort of dig another direction and fill them in some.
Sometimes I would kind of shovel dirt back in for her to re-dig. Sometimes I took her churned up dirt to add to my compost and use in the gardebn. I also had clay soil- not an easy dig.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thats not a bad idea. But they way they love to run I don't think they would be able to stick to any agreement like that.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I worked for a vet for a few years. We had a Dog de Bordeau who had a thing for socks. Dirty, clean, didn't matter. If it was a sock he ate it. The vet made some many incisions in that dog's belly. It was scary. He would open drawers to get at the socks!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
chicknwhisperer said:
Talk about obssesion lol
It was one of the weirdest things I saw while there. We had an ancient Doberman who belonged to ancient German gentleman. The dog's favorite possession in the entire world was one of the owner's old shoes. An old leather shoe. He carried it in his mouth when he came for exams. If he borded with us he slept with his head on it. I'm so glad I left before anything ever happened to either of them. I don't think I could have handled it! But that's another thread. This is the destructive thread. I'm very glad it's come up because we are considering getting a puppy after the New Year. Nuts, I know! Anyway, we plan on rescuing but my son has certain ideas about what he wants. So I'm taking careful notes on what breeds are mentioned here. What is it with Labs chewing stuff up????

Ericasl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have a golden retrevier who loves to chew and dig everything!!!!!!!! He is about 10 months old, we went to the butcher and bought him some big knuckle bones. He chewed those bones for days and days I think he got so sick of chewing or his jaw hurt. He is not chewing everything up or digging as much, so we keep him stocked on big knuckle bones.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I poured ACV over the topper on the dog house the day after they liked off the pepper pste I made and so far so good. The vent hasn't been turned and I don't see any chew marks. Oh and I'm going to get off subject for a moment becasue I am to excited to keep it to myself:ya My hens layed for the first time today!!! :ep
I got two beautiful brown eggs this morning. lol Anyway so far so good on the chewing. Oh and I did stick a huge branch in there and my pup has half in his dog house and the other half sticking way out lol. I can't do the bones or rawhides becasue my older dog will keep both of them and he gets mean when my young one tries to get his back. He is nice the rest of the time until a bone shows up.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Get yourself a massive bottle of "Fooey," but make sure you're a) not breathing and b) your mouth isn't open when you spray it :D We sprayed it everywhere when we had our chew crazy Yellow Lab, Samari and it worked a charm! We even mixed it in with our paint and our poodles don't chew the trim anymore.

Also, get yourself some marrow bones, huge, and make sure they're really filled with marrow, freeze them, and then take a couple out and bake them, and you've got endless joy for your dogs, plus it's good for them.

vrudiea

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Also, get yourself some marrow bones, huge, and make sure they're really filled with marrow, freeze them, and then take a couple out and bake them, and you've got endless joy for your dogs, plus it's good for them.
The bones do NOT need to be cooked, cooking will increase the chances of splintering which could puncture the digestive system. Feed them raw, the dogs will enjoy them much more and their teeth will stay clean=less trips to the vet!!!!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
vrudiea said:
lupinfarm said:
The bones do NOT need to be cooked, cooking will increase the chances of splintering which could puncture the digestive system. Feed them raw, the dogs will enjoy them much more and their teeth will stay clean=less trips to the vet!!!!
Sorry, should have been clearer, we shove them in the oven to defrost a bit in the winter time, in the summer we leave them frozen as a cold treat.