Dragonlaurel's journal- Community Garden

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Dace-
My library checks them out for 3 weeks. They are due on my birthday. I should remember that okay. I am so taking notes! By the way- the lavender outside was blooming and looks like the seed stage now! Na na na na na, Guess who's gonna save some. Now I just need some rosemary to grow beside it.

Lori-
Living off the grid was easier then. I hadn't discovered the internet yet- so I didn't miss it. Now I would want his and her's solar panels for computer time and they have solar cell phone chargers too. We were broke then so fancy stuff was not an option.

We made our own solar oven then. The oven was great- and EASY!!! I could teach about how to build an outhouse. We did that. We had running water too. We ran down the hill with a bucket to the pipe in our spring. It was walking water on the way back up. Tasted like wintergreen for a while. We cut some birch roots when we were digging the spring and they flavored it for a while. That was nice!

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Happy Fall Equinox everybody! It's officially started.

Somebody tell the leaves on these 3 oaks by my balcony so my seedlings can get some sunlight. They are pretty, and green but my garden gets More light in the winter.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I have lived lots of places. One place in Georgia has been on my mind lately as I have been learning more about homesteading. We spent over a year there, living on the land. We lived on solar time. We woke up when the light came in the window.

We built a rock fire ring in the beginning and put some flatter rocks in the center to put pans on. We used this to cook everything at first. It takes longer to cook, but tastes so good. Rub a bar of soap on the bottom of the pan, before using it, so the soot comes clean.
We picked up a small wood burning stove with oven later. We did what we needed to during the day and ate dinner as the sun was going down. We used an oil lamp for a little bit each night while we settled in then went to bed. There was no electricity and we really conserved the batteries for the radio and usually saved the flashlight for emergencies.

The cabin was not insulated but the woods blocked the colder winds. We dressed for the weather and used extra blankets on cold nights. Cooperating with nature was good for our bodies. All the extra hours that we stay active in modern life, do come with a cost. Living in synch with natures cycles is great for the body.

We lived without most "modern conveniences" , and I rarely missed them. My goal is to grow almost all our fruits and vegetables. We planted some and my husband foraged quite a bit too. We went to town once in a while for the rest.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow, that would be quite the experience! Quite primeval even, I think that would be very cool to do sometime and use a tipi or yurt or other similar shelter.

I wonder how much tipis cost?

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
This place used tree trunks for the corner posts and plywood walls. It was strong enough but very rustic. Small place with a loft bed above a closet. In summer we used the fire pit for almost all the cooking to keep the place cooler.

I knew somebody that built a modified yurt before. It was 8 sided, with wood panels to about 4ft high then cloth screened windows the whole way around. Really cool. Dont know how much it cost, but it was comfy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's amazing what one can do without, isn't it? Just think of all the homes out there with the approved amount of insulation, etc. that folks feel is necessary.....

I think you should tell us more, Laura! I always find it fascinating when folks take a different path in life and how it all turns out. What they experienced along the way and the knowing that very few trod that pathway anymore..... very interesting!

Latest posts