Dragonlaurel's journal- Community Garden

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I agee, would love to hear more!

Heh, Bee, up here when it gets -60, most houses need insulation :lol:

OR a fire going all the time, either way I suppose.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:

This place was in the middle of Georgia - zone 7. We could get a little snow. This house was built before we got there and was designed well. We were about half way up a hill on one side and the woods around were a great windbreak. A small wood stove was plenty to keep it warm. I'm glad we weren't at the top of the hill. It would have been harder to stay warm.

We still got hard rains, of course. Once it got wet, the local clay was some of most slippery stuff known to man. I had a nice hickory walking stick that saved my butt often. Still stayed close to home the first day after storms. It took a few days for that clay road to be safe after heavy rain. It would be like driving on ice and the road was steep in spots. The whole property was hills and part of it was a tree farm.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Blackbird said:

Yep, fire going at all times! I grew up in log homes, which are largely self-insulating but, if not chinked properly can be a might drafty.

We always had a stove made out of a barrel and it would get so hot the sides turned cherry red. But, we were warm and the pipes didn't freeze.....'cause there weren't any! :lol:

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Our spring pipe didn't freeze because it only stuck out about a foot from the ground. Spring water's temp stays pretty constant and it didn't have enough space to freeze on the way out. I'd dug out 15 steps on the hill to have a safe path to the water. If we needed hot water, we filled a pan and put it on the fire. Low tech solutions are effective.

We used to get our stovepipe glowing too. Had lots of lighter pine in the area and both got good at fires.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
:frow Something in the Universe decided my b-day was going to be lucky. I went thrift shopping today and found a heavy brass candle lamp that I love for $ 1.00.

Last time I was there, I asked if they had any canning jars and they said yes but Could Not :barnie find them.
They found them this time- and somebody had just brought more in. I got a dozen quarts, 1 pint and 4 half pints. $ 2.00 for the bunch of them. :ya 1 jelly jar has a tiny chip so it will be for herbs.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Thank you. I enjoyed it. It was about 80 degrees out and I spent plenty of time outside. I'm loving it while it lasts. Shopping went well, and I'm having mac & cheese and black-eye peas for dinner. Just in the mood for it. Might have some of my pickles along with it. They should be ready.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I just reheated black beans and some brown rice...:love one of my favorite dishes! You need to post a pic of your B -day find!

Latest posts