Dreamer Living off Social Security

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
this is the type of windmill I want to ad to my Energy farm portion....
I want to build a vertical axis windmill or two. they arent quite as efficient but they take up less space and the generator portion can be at ground level for maintenence.
this one is 100-400 Watts... Enough to power my well pump.
shopping

my Dad was an engineer for a carbon fiber manufacturer... He was hired on contract for them to design windmills for their own wind farm project. Mr Basso developed the technology to create carbon fiber Tennis Raquets then sold the process to Dow Corning. He made a boat load of money.... so He wanted to get involved with the bigger end of the spectrum. Dads experience was with Air foils and Prop blades...

Sow when the project was in full bloom and they were starting production Dad hired me as a detail drafts man. The fab shop would be ready to make a new part it was up to me to draw it up so they could do it.

I learned alot about Windmill Trials and tribulations during that time. OUrs was one of the first to lead the wind instead of trail the wind. and because of that they had a lower failure rate than other windmills. So the design sold and Mr. Basso invested and he got richer.... LOL.

Ours also had a generator housing that was servicible from inside. You had to climb up a sixty foot tube to enter the housing.... I got to design the tube...

The ones I want are Not so big... Maybe the Airfoil structure would be six feet tall.... Support structure would be about seven feet tall. Then the footings designed for Dynamic loading would probably be about four to six feet deep depending on Soil base.

deb

So with this type of windmill how much torque can be achieved at the shaft? It don't appear that is could power much at all in comparison to fan blade length and the weight on a a three blade windmill. 100 to 400 watts is a very small output. If you are using this to generate 120 volts AC, you could expect .9 ~ 3.6 amps or 240 volts AC would be .45 ~ 1.7 amps.

I read that you mentioned you have a 400 ft deep well. By the time you factor in voltage drop for 400 ft of well pump wire. I doubt 100 ~ 400 watts would hadrly turn the pump at all and would most likely burn up the coils in the windmill generator or worse yet in the pump it's self or even worse both. Unless you were in the midst of a wind storm but even the I doubt it would work. I never seen a deep well pump that would operate off of .45 ~ 1.7 amps (240 volts) all the ones I've seen require 10 to 15 amps one each leg (240 volts) so 20 to 30 amps total.

Just trying to prevent a costly error. Replacing a well pump 400' down is not something I would want to pay for because i burnt it up trying to save a couple of bucks.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
NOne as of yet.... If and when I hope to build a battery bank inside an insulated trailer.... Where I can control the environment I do know external temperature can have a big influence on how well the batteries perform. Out gas needs have to be tended to for both efficiencey and safety.... So it seems to me to have an enclosed battery compartment or room would be the best idea. Portable even better because I can take it to the electrician for the build.

I havent even research cost... yet. I know the batteries will be a big one.... probably more than the whole energy farm "".

Like I said in the beginning.... I have minimal energy needs.... with regart to modern standards. What I want and can afford .... we will tackle that hurdle and make the decisions then.

I am Sixty Three years old Needless to say my family needs are minimal. I will need to run power for lights TV and Computer at the house.... The well pump. and eventually pumps for the aquaponics system... The only things in my house that REQUIRE consistent unvarying electricity are the Refrigeration units... Refrigerator and freezer. Meaning they have motors that will suffer if the voltage goes down.

The well will have its own generation system aside from the house. Probably the best because its a thousand feet from the house.

I didnt design the layout... Or the house.... When I looked at the house I wanted to tear it down and build another. The well didnt work and the STorage tank for water was acually a fire tank required before you can build a house in California... It is not plumbed to the house... I still havent been able to discover where the pipe runs from the main line To the house... Oh I know where the on off valve is... But not where it comes off my main.

So my very first thing when I move back home will be to have a contractor come out and Rewire the house. That is where I will start.

Right now it costs me six dollars a month to keep the 110 gallon water tank full for the horse. With no horse...

deb

Lithium ion and Lithium Polymer are good newer technology choices both have there pluses and minuses. Polmer is a dry cell technology that is light weight and longer lasting and much safer than Lithium ion. However, they are lower in energy density and are more expensive to produce. I think everyone knows about the hazards of Lithium ion so I won't mention those. Still smart of you to plan for a dedicated battery bank building irregardless which type of batteries you'll be using.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You seem to be a very resourceful person! I love the one about bathing outside in pajamas! I love it!

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am curious does anyone have Llamas. I want a hiking partner when I head back home. The goats were great but I need something that I can grab onto if I loose my balance... and maybe carry a pack.

deb

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would just get bigger goats, lol. Llamas and donkeys can both be awesome, or awful.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Especially if they have an attutude. Someone on the Nashville CL is giving one away because its got an attitude and attacks their other livestock.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Consider an Akbash LGD. Their coat can be short to medium-length or long.
Oh hes handsome.... I was also thinking of Kangals they too have a shorter coat.
kangal-dog.jpg

There is a breeder here that crosses them with Aussies. Kangals would be good with the people that cross the border here.... But I dont want anyone hurt. Pure breds are big...

I am also in love with Swissies.... And English shepherds I have a swissie cross right now... Sweet dog BIG Bark Great walking door bell. Mine looks mostly like the one below without a curled tail. Swiss mountain dog crossed with some sort of bird dog... her tail is straight her leggs are wite speckled but she looks an aweful lot like the dog below

appenzeller_sennenhunde.jpg

English shepherd similar in size as Aussies
boreland-maisie_1_orig.jpg