Dreamer Living off Social Security

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The beauty of Tilapia is they are mouth brooders.... After the eggs are laid and firtilized on a cleaned stratum then the female scoops up the eggs and Keeps them there till they hatch... Then when they all hatch she spits them out occasionally on forrays. where she will finally grab a bite to eat. but let some thing set off the alarm and all the fry zoom back to momma... They will do that till they cant all fit in her mouth.... :lol:
For what its worth Tilapia come from lake Malawai in Africa.. There are several species of Tilapia and Several species that have the same strategy. all in the same lake. I have no idea which species this is because colors change as they get older.... Juvie fish tend to be pale and or camouflaged.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some AP folks buy all male Tilapia so they don't have issues with multiple aged fry in the tanks. However, IF I was raising Tilapia, I think I'd WANT to be raising replacements. Perhaps keep a tank of males and a tank of females, (if that strategy is possible) so I could control the reproduction. (if that strategy is possible) OR, have a ready supply of fry for chicken feed.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this is the type of windmill I want to ad to my Energy farm portion....
I want to build a vertical axis windmill or two. they arent quite as efficient but they take up less space and the generator portion can be at ground level for maintenence.
this one is 100-400 Watts... Enough to power my well pump.
shopping

my Dad was an engineer for a carbon fiber manufacturer... He was hired on contract for them to design windmills for their own wind farm project. Mr Basso developed the technology to create carbon fiber Tennis Raquets then sold the process to Dow Corning. He made a boat load of money.... so He wanted to get involved with the bigger end of the spectrum. Dads experience was with Air foils and Prop blades...

Sow when the project was in full bloom and they were starting production Dad hired me as a detail drafts man. The fab shop would be ready to make a new part it was up to me to draw it up so they could do it.

I learned alot about Windmill Trials and tribulations during that time. OUrs was one of the first to lead the wind instead of trail the wind. and because of that they had a lower failure rate than other windmills. So the design sold and Mr. Basso invested and he got richer.... LOL.

Ours also had a generator housing that was servicible from inside. You had to climb up a sixty foot tube to enter the housing.... I got to design the tube...

The ones I want are Not so big... Maybe the Airfoil structure would be six feet tall.... Support structure would be about seven feet tall. Then the footings designed for Dynamic loading would probably be about four to six feet deep depending on Soil base.

deb

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some AP folks buy all male Tilapia so they don't have issues with multiple aged fry in the tanks. However, IF I was raising Tilapia, I think I'd WANT to be raising replacements. Perhaps keep a tank of males and a tank of females, (if that strategy is possible) so I could control the reproduction. (if that strategy is possible) OR, have a ready supply of fry for chicken feed.
the All male suppliers use genetic modification to assure their fry are male.

I figured that one female would keep me supplied in Fish for the year providing they all lived. LOL So one pair of breeders kept in the house would be sufficient. You can introduce the fry at an age that is large enough to be comfortable free swimming.... Then put up screens to draw off the fry... Females will brood at about two to two and a half inches long. Oh... that could be problematic.

ME Needs more research...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, that's why some folks just raise males. I don't know how difficult they are to sex. If they breed at such a young age/size, it would be difficult to ensure the water quality to keep them growing at the optimum rate. Not to mention, I think they'd be putting their energy into reproduction at the expense of providing good eats to go with your AP salad.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think they'd be putting their energy into reproduction at the expense of providing good eats to go with your AP

I think thats the key... Once you have been around a certain breed of fish a while you get experienced at Sexing them.... There are differences...

Ok a quick read of the link says they become sexually mature at four inches.... The way to determine gender is illustrated very well at the bottom of the page.... Not so difficult.... I think the difficulty would be in Time if you have several fingerlings to go through. But I think one could Determine gender on enough for your own Growout tank. For what its worth Canning fish isnt very difficult... Nor will chickens reject fish in their diet.

https://lakewaytilapia.com/how-to-sex-tilapia.php

deb

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
this is the type of windmill I want to ad to my Energy farm portion....
I want to build a vertical axis windmill or two. they arent quite as efficient but they take up less space and the generator portion can be at ground level for maintenence.
this one is 100-400 Watts... Enough to power my well pump.
shopping

my Dad was an engineer for a carbon fiber manufacturer... He was hired on contract for them to design windmills for their own wind farm project. Mr Basso developed the technology to create carbon fiber Tennis Raquets then sold the process to Dow Corning. He made a boat load of money.... so He wanted to get involved with the bigger end of the spectrum. Dads experience was with Air foils and Prop blades...

Sow when the project was in full bloom and they were starting production Dad hired me as a detail drafts man. The fab shop would be ready to make a new part it was up to me to draw it up so they could do it.

I learned alot about Windmill Trials and tribulations during that time. OUrs was one of the first to lead the wind instead of trail the wind. and because of that they had a lower failure rate than other windmills. So the design sold and Mr. Basso invested and he got richer.... LOL.

Ours also had a generator housing that was servicible from inside. You had to climb up a sixty foot tube to enter the housing.... I got to design the tube...

The ones I want are Not so big... Maybe the Airfoil structure would be six feet tall.... Support structure would be about seven feet tall. Then the footings designed for Dynamic loading would probably be about four to six feet deep depending on Soil base.

deb

So with this type of windmill how much torque can be achieved at the shaft? It don't appear that is could power much at all in comparison to fan blade length and the weight on a a three blade windmill. 100 to 400 watts is a very small output. If you are using this to generate 120 volts AC, you could expect .9 ~ 3.6 amps or 240 volts AC would be .45 ~ 1.7 amps.

I read that you mentioned you have a 400 ft deep well. By the time you factor in voltage drop for 400 ft of well pump wire. I doubt 100 ~ 400 watts would hadrly turn the pump at all and would most likely burn up the coils in the windmill generator or worse yet in the pump it's self or even worse both. Unless you were in the midst of a wind storm but even the I doubt it would work. I never seen a deep well pump that would operate off of .45 ~ 1.7 amps (240 volts) all the ones I've seen require 10 to 15 amps one each leg (240 volts) so 20 to 30 amps total.

Just trying to prevent a costly error. Replacing a well pump 400' down is not something I would want to pay for because i burnt it up trying to save a couple of bucks.

Last edited:

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep I will depend on people like you to determine the solar panel draw and power consumption. The windmill will be as a part of an energy experiment... Learning curve. I am incapable of climbing a ladder Efficency is definatly with the three blade Airfoil type windmills. But the blade arc circumfrence requires that the blades need to be at least fifteen feet off the ground. For safety.... Then another fifteen feet to the hub.... Drive shaft diameter is What.... three or four inches?: Gear box about the size of a Riding lawn mower engine?

Then there is the control of the device keeping it turned into the wind. Either by Tail fin... Static... or by computer with a motor and gearbox itself. The Best Blades feather when the wind gets too strong... eventually completely and locked down for gale force winds... Which we get... Passive feathering requires the blade to twist on its own.... Controlled feathering is again by computer.... again another motor.

Latest posts